SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

The stock one can externally vent too, if you stick a grub screw in the little bypass hole...

Why don't you just block it off until the intake is fabricated properly?

Can't be stuffed taking the car to exhaust joint and they wanted to charge me $350 for a intake pipe. lol beside I've already bought the part.

add:

Good to hear mate, and that's a very good price for everything isn't it? ;)

Yea man thats GTRS's performance with better response at half the cost. fken nice to drive. can't wait to get it boosted and tuned.

Edited by petero'nell

I really hope the prototype works then we will be concentrating in the GenEses development, the principle on that is having a turbo car idle at 1~2 psi based on a 500HP turbo, so people can take off and drive on boost all times. Making "turbo lag" history.

I see no practical way of this being possible. This would be an amazing piece of technology. How you can create positive boost on idle with the throttle shut is beyond me. It doesn't sound possible. How do you create a turbine structure capable of creating positive boost from the exhaust flow of an idle engine? The SS2 Ive got is almost like it is off when there is no load on the engine. I can rev up to 4k and control my foot to create nearly no pressure at all and when I plant my foot it comes on like a switch, but having something always creating pressure needs an opposing force.

And now I am getting jealous of this new turbo you have built which could see 280-300rwkw with stock turbo response :( Can my turbo be modded to suit?

Edited by SargeRX8

Sargerx8. To easily explain what you don't understand put a boost gauge before your throttle body. You will have substantial boost it just isnt getting to your plennum/boost gauge. Thats why it appears to come on so quick.

I'm not sure working to have a turbo boost on idle would be a good thing. Off boost driving is actually great, not something I would personally want to give up.

I'm not sure how successful these turbos would be in the wider community....

I'm not sure working to have a turbo boost on idle would be a good thing. Off boost driving is actually great, not something I would personally want to give up.

I'm not sure how successful these turbos would be in the wider community....

Its definitely not something for all users but there will almost definitely be a market for it out there.

If he can make something like this which can be somehow controlled, by a valve or something, to switch off this feature, I think there would be no one driving a skyline without it. If you can make something happen, you can control how it happens, when it happens and why it happens. A car engine was built ground up, everything that a car can do can be controlled in literally every single way. Boost, fuel, air flow, knock, lights, wipers, etc. If his intentions are to control it using something from the engine flowing or pushing something on the turbo, something similar to a wastegate, or electronic gate could control it to switch it off when it is not needed.

I still think its impossible.

Edited by SargeRX8

Sargerx8. To easily explain what you don't understand put a boost gauge before your throttle body. You will have substantial boost it just isnt getting to your plennum/boost gauge. Thats why it appears to come on so quick.

But that isn't the engine boost level so it's irrelevant. The throttle body is causing the restriction and that restriction is causing positive pressure, potentially you could open the throttle body and the engine would see no boost.

Stao's statement was incorrect and misleading

That 2 psi is pre-throttle body pressure. So when throttle is given the car launches with 2 psi of boost and build up from there. Still thinking about it, at this stage its 55% looking possible.

That 2 psi is pre-throttle body pressure. So when throttle is given the car launches with 2 psi of boost and build up from there. Still thinking about it, at this stage its 55% looking possible.

Will it be controllable? Can it be turned on and off or a fixed feature?

I dont understand the theory... Pre-throttle body pressure means nothing? As Simon said, the butterfly is the restriction so measuring boost against that doesn't mean much. When the throttle body opens and the motor needs airflow, the positive pressure will drop. It's about volume of air, not pressure? I fail to see how youre going to create boost at idle when there is no load.

That said, if it can be done then I'm very happy to be proved wrong. I just don't get it.

Still thinking about it, As soon as throttle opens the intake pressure drops, so pointless of building up pressure pre-throttle unless its lots of pressure. Need some thing spins quickly, makes enough pressure to fill the drop with bit of room for positive boost. Then switch it self off when turbo comes on.

The stock one can externally vent too, if you stick a grub screw in the little bypass hole...

That didn't work for me, the stock bov just kept on getting sucked open by vacuum.

That didn't work for me, the stock bov just kept on getting sucked open by vacuum.

The standard BOVs have 2 diaphragms as far as I know, the BOV's upper diaphragm will be sucked up when under vacuum, which lifts the whole piston setup upwards and allows the BOV to breathe through the return pipe. Then once manifold pressure is no longer under a certain level of vacuum, the spring inside the upper chamber of the BOV will return it to a closed position. This is why people always point out that stock BOVs (GTR included) are open on idle, and the reason why I now need to buy an aftermarket one - mine's running atmo hence breathing unfiltered air :stupid:

I dont even understand what he is proposing to do

Imagine a T25 from a CA18 on a 6L V8.

The second you open the throttle you will see boost. Stao wants to make something like that which still works like the turbos we currently use there after. Eliminating the wait for power to come on, and has quoted he wants it to be a 500hp item.

Sounds good on the surface, yet as stated most of the more experienced users would appreciate some level of lag. But who knows, maybe the technology can be fine tuned further so that there's more leeway than currently being discussed.

I cut my factory BOV open and there is just a diaphragm, one spring and one piston. Once the bay pass whole is blocked the diaphragm gets sucked upwards and the piston opens. I sort of got it to work by placing a one way valve into the pipe that connects to the bov to inlet manifold.

As for the GenEses, I'm planning to use a high powered electrical motored duction fan working with a turbo. Can be high voltage external batteries based. The Fan only operates till the turbo takes over. Depending on how long the battery pack can last, we can wire 2 or more battery packs and have some thing switching between the battery packs when one is running low. That battery will have a 12V charger charging it when laid off. So a super responsive high efficiency turbo is required as a base for this setup.

Above is just a theory thing at early stage there will be lot more in it. Might or might not work and the finished product might be too expansive to sale. But would be good project to give a shot at proven its possible or not possible with what we've got.

There are lots of failed earlier examples that I've already known, so no need to post that. But do post constructive ideas and tell every one what you think that might make this work.

So electric supercharger at low revs, or it will assist the turbo in spooling up?

I have an idea, could you drive the turbo from the crank (like a supercharger) but use some sort of sprocket so that if the exhaust wants to turn the shaft faster than engine speed it can without issue? So basically it only saps energy from the crank at low engine speeds when the turbo wouldn't normally be spinning that speed, when there is enough exhaust energy the turbine takes over and spins it.

How does that sound? I don't know how you'd route the drive from the crank to where the turbo normally sits but I'm sure with enough money it could be done.

Edited by Rolls

So electric supercharger at low revs, or it will assist the turbo in spooling up?

I have an idea, could you drive the turbo from the crank (like a supercharger) but use some sort of sprocket so that if the exhaust wants to turn the shaft faster than engine speed it can without issue? So basically it only saps energy from the crank at low engine speeds when the turbo wouldn't normally be spinning that speed, when there is enough exhaust energy the turbine takes over and spins it.

How does that sound? I don't know how you'd route the drive from the crank to where the turbo normally sits but I'm sure with enough money it could be done.

His idea of the electric fan is a good idea. I was thinking about having it belt driven yesterday when I read the initial idea. I don't think it will work. These turbos spin at 100000krpm. Our engines do what, 7? On idle the turbo will already be outspinning the engine...

His idea of the electric fan is a good idea. I was thinking about having it belt driven yesterday when I read the initial idea. I don't think it will work. These turbos spin at 100000krpm. Our engines do what, 7? On idle the turbo will already be outspinning the engine...

There are these wonderful inventions called gears... how do you think super chargers work?