SAU Community

How Would You Build A Street Sleeper?

Since I don't have any interest in going fast in a straight line, my idea of a sleeper street car would be a well setup drifter that looks like a standard car. My 32 was kinda close (apart from the munted rear quarter :blush:) and I'm aiming to make my sil look almost stock from the outside was well:

Stock R33 wheels

Legal ride height (eyebrow heights and minimum clearance height)

reasonably quiet exhaust with simple single tip

black mesh in the front bar to take focus away from the cooler

stock looking interior

Yet underneath the stock looking exterior will be adjustable suspension parts, coilovers and big sway bars, mechanical diff, R33 brakes and a ~ 200rwkw RB20 setup.

It will be done in the usual idea of a sleeper, but built to go sideways instead of straight ;)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh im building a 280zx at the moment planing to drop a rb in it soon...=] for sleeper i reckon go for something old school...like one of those 60's skyline 2000gts

nissan_skyline-2000-gt-gc110-1972_r2.jpg

their a bit rare...but beautiful cars....

Edited by TomtOm

04012008.jpg

its a 1988 model subaru Leone GT II wagon. it's a JDM one with all the electrics. the front yellow IPF fog lights are factory fitted and still work.engine wise it HAD a 1.8L turbo engine and 4 wheel discs. local cars of that age were carby fed and disc/drum setup. I bought it in 2006 from a fellow that was sick of rebuilding the engine.

ENGINE : EJ20HD 2L twin turbo intercooled (300hp)

TRANS: 4 SPD Auto AWD with 4.44 final drive and LSD wtih a lockable centre diff. ( it was a 5 sp manual with the fulltime 4wd box with 3.70 gearing in it front and rear.)

BRAKES - Legacy GT with the ABS and traction control system carried over. rotors are slotted DBA items.

Wheels: 99 JDM Impreza 16" wheels in 5 stud (these cars were originally 4 stud with 13" steel wheels)

the hood scoop is functional and taken from a turbo XT. centre section is XT and the frame of it is the wagon one.

I built it and I OWN IT! ;)

a few of the brissy people have seen it, nothing special unitl you plant your right foot.

love the car :D

my parents used to own one was a best :D they are ultimate sleeper :)

My sister has our old RB30 GQ, they are quite incredibly slow. I'd love to do a VLT conversion on it, the motor's done 500 000km, so I think it might be nearly time for some new rings at least :/

everyones forgetting the obvious sleeper/conversion. Suzuki mighty boy with a 3cyl turbo starlet engine or 1.6ltr honda crx vtec. They do those vtec conversion in minis in the UK so im guessing it can be done in a mighty boy. If i remember correctly there was a mighty body conversion done for auto salon one year with a v6 from a hi ace or somethin, car ran a mid 9 second pass lol but what do you expect from a 300kg car.

I thought the major engine swap on a Mighty Boy was the 800cc turbo conversion :(

hats what MOST people seem to do, few out there with bigger engines. 800cc jsut doesnt seem to cut it for me :/

I'd get an evo6 seeing as nearly every CC Lancer has the fake evo kit on it. Do some big engine mods and run some semi slicks and take off all the evo badges.

Mazda 121 bubble "shades"...H22A VTEC turbo :banana: or even chuck in a Mazda 3 MPS motor...will tear it to pieces

1985 Toyota Corona 2JZ...in faded blue

VB Commodore with HSV stickers etc etc...RB26DETT

80's boxy ford laser sedan with TX3 motor...in faded yellow

1987 Honda Civic GL flat back with B18C head/Crv bottom end turbo frankenstein motor...in brown or cream

LADA Niva SR20DET

You MUST do the VOLVO !!!!

240 series Volvo wagon.

Pic's of my old one attached

Forged holden V8 , t350 shift kit, B&M quick shifter, 3.9 dana lsd.

My old one was the family car. Wife drove it around with two baby seats and a pram in the back it ran consistant 13.9 second 1/4 miles @ 101mph. All while being on LPG and getting pretty great ecconomy. Only had to sell it as a new kid came along and we needed more seating. I had a much bigger cam to drop in (the motor was built for 400+ hp) and a high stall which would have seen it run into the high 12's.

They are the complete package. In fact my old wagon was the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. I have never laughed so much or as often during car ownership and it was super reliable in all the volvo areas.

If I had the time I would build another one.

* They are repulsively ugy to the point the everyone including the police ignor you to avoud hurting thier eyes.

* It creates a doomsday kill story for anyone claiming to either win or lose against you. Both stories can't be told to mates without massive reprisal :P

* So easy to convert them / work on them.

* The rear diff is a Dana and it's quite easy to get hold of LSD's and different ratios, they will take a lot of power to break, ditto the axles.

* There is lots of room in the engine bay for a V8. and trans tunnel is big.

* The chassis is well...volvo , so large power isn't going to warp it easily.

* The brakes are already vented and of a decent size.

* Easy to get engineering cert.

* Great for crashing into things.

* Very Comfortable daily driver.

*** The looks on peoples faces at the traffic lights or basically anywhere, when you are sitting next to them or start the car up can not be beaten by anything.

Regardless of how ignorant the people are about cars Volvo's are automatically recognised along with the culture so having one rumble like world war three makes sure you have an impact.

*** They have an awesome turning circle and are super easy to park. It's like the the tardis of parking.

If you want to go stupid then ..... twin turbo V8 one like this.

post-271-1241319829_thumb.jpg

post-271-1241319841_thumb.jpg

Edited by rev210

Get a smart for 4 or 2...whatever.

Take out the engine.....drop in a few hundred mice in a wheel barrel and connect to the drive shaft.

When you take off at the lights everyone will just freak.

Compared to the original car you are like 3 times as fast........