SAU Community

How Would You Build A Street Sleeper?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tried quoting a post way back in 2009 someone said "hiace van with sr20"

There's a bright orange Hiace Van up here with a 2J in it, auto boxand it did a PB last night of 11.7 i think it was. Crazy quick and it's funny because people sitting near me were laughing at it at the lights.. and i was just thinking you guys just wait! haha

• 2 weeks later...

I would stay away from the volvo personally, a mate of mine recently picked up an early 90's wagon - cant remember exactly which model, but the old square shaped sluggish pos, and we just put a couple of grand worth of beilstiens, springs, bushes etc... and it still handles like a bucket of mashed crabs..

I had a mate that twin turbo'd a Statesmen.....

He said it was the biggest disappointment of his life! Lol

Apparently it had nowhere near the performance he thought it would have. He sold it not long after the conversion.

So yeah, maybe stick with tried and trusted methods (cars that have already been done successfully) instead of trying to be TO different.... It may just turn around and bite you.

Ps I do realize this is a old thread. ?

Edited by AshR34GTT

That's similar to my next project, a 73 TA22 with an SR20 :)

RE the whole sleeper idea, my last project was an 87 Daihatsu Charade GTti which weighed 840 kg and had (when I had finished it) a 993 cc, 3 cyl, twin cam, turbo motor that had over 110hp. It didn't get any police attention and was quite a blast to drive, pulled 200km/h and suprised a lot of people :D

Now THAT'S a sleeper... A Charade!

This guy wins!???

I think this thread went off topic hard.

A lot of the cars mentioned in this thread are nowhere NEAR sleeper status... Even in there stock form. Eg MR2, BMW, XR6T, Merc's, ect.

To me a sleep is something that had next to no performance or street cred in stock form. Not MR2's and XR6T that come out from the factory with turbo charged engines... NOT A SLEEPER.

An Merc's and BMW are luxury performance cars.

Most Surrgestions are simply taking a car with mild stock performance and engine swapping them with something that has more Kw. That is just a engine swap... Nothing special.

A TRUE Sleeper not only needs to LOOK stock,

But it also has to be a car that had next to NO performance associated with it when first build...

Like a Toyota Starlet or Nissan Micra or something. Lol

Just my opinion tho. ?

For buget/easy to do builds, I will just buy a current gen Ford FG XR6T & mod that while leaving the outside looking stockish.

The current FG models are pretty boring looking wise (IMO) & almost resambles a last gen Camry...

Edited by Mayuri Krab

For buget/easy to do builds, I will just buy a current gen Ford FG XR6T & mod that while leaving the outside looking stockish.

The current FG models are pretty boring looking wise (IMO) & almost resambles a last gen Camry...

If you buy a Ford..

2eofms5.jpg

Why do sleepers have to be ugly shiy boxes?

My R32 GTR is a "sleeper"

Has N1 bits, R34 wheels and R33 brakes

Interior and engine bay look dead stock ad its super quiet.

Cops dont look twice because they think its stock based on appearance and sound.

Makes 300kW and is super fun!

Will do full feature in Motive 17

I think being a true sleeper the engine bay needs to appear stock and the car needs to be quiet. That way if u do get pulled over you dont get defected.

Old cars that look stock but have 700hp generally dont sound stock or look stock under the hood.

Real sleeper looks stock everywhere in my books

A Gtr will never be a sleeper, even a stocker with some boost is well known to be a quick car

people don't expect too much from a stock R32 GT-R these days, especially when other person is driving when driving a modified Evo or something.

plus, making a crap heap look stock under the engine bay is hard, making 300-400rwkW with a stock looking RB26 is doable.

I prefer the engine bay to look stock and sound quiet to cops so I know I can drive the car in peace. That's more sleeper than an old Corolla with a big engine in it.

Why can't a sleep look good and be comfortable and handle well too?

Edited by JET200

R31 aussie spec.

Built 26/30 big turbo with water to air cooler.

Nice looking normal rims

and a dodgy paint job who the hell would know smile.gif

this

with venetians in the rear window and a lawn bowling hat on the rear parcell shelf next to the box of tissues.

stock or matt grey paint job (like under coat)

http://www.skylinesa...r-sale-or-swap/

talk of R31 reminded me of this one...

Now THAT is cool! Ultimate sleeper right there.

My mate has a 4 door r33 and it's close to 400hp, apparently it's going to be pushing 500 or even more pretty soon. It looks like an absolute peice of shit. Paint is all rooted, car is always filthy and i mean ALWAYS. He gets shitty every time it gets clean because he usually gets pulled over when it looks clean lol.

Exterior is completely stock, wish i had a photo.. definitely wouldn't expect it to make the power that it does.