SAU Community

R32 Gtr Vs R33 Gtr

Well he did say in terms of shear performance, not in terms of anything else.

For that the R32 has it all over the R33. Even still I don't imagine you would be visiting the 'ring in your GTR… so I think it will be much of a muchness...

Maintenance never came into it - this has only been included to make R33 owners feels better :P (Its still a GTR relax :()

If your looking to buy 1 of them and not just chat about which is hypothetically better you need to drive them both and decide on which one YOU like better, not what the guy next door says.

My 2 cents

ah..

so he did.

carry on

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had them all. 32 is my favourite IF (and it's a big if) it's in good condition. it's easier to find a 33 in good nick since they were less popular there are less hard core modified ones. try to find a genuine 1 or 2 owner, standard 32 GTR. no chance, and if you do it will cost more than a 33 anyway. a 1 or 2 owner, stock 33 GTR on the other hand is fairly easy to find for reasonable money. 34 GTRs are great, but not very exciting standard, and a little overpriced for what they are now (10 years old...).

33 is the most sensible buy. but if you can get a good 32 for fair money it would be my pick.

34 is good middle ground. not super value, but the newest and most feature packed of the 3.

now personally I like the 32 interior over the 33. also remember the 32 wheel is reach and height adjustable which is important to me. 33 wheel is big, and being airbag is illegal to replace, and is only reach adjustable, no height adjustment. which can make it hard to be comfy driving position wise in the 33 unless you bite the bullet and change the wheel. especially if you are tall.

the 34 has the best seats, the best wheels, and the MFD is cool. it's also comfortable driving position wise, like the 32. but it also doesn't have wheel height adjustment. and also has airbag wheel.

anyway, a neat 32 with some 34 wheels, 34 brakes, 34 seats and 34 engine and some GT-SS turbos and other small upgrades is the way to go.power around 300rwkw and it will be reliable for years to come if treated right. :P

IIRC R32 is quicker in a straight line but R33 was quicker around nurburgring, due to better suspension & attessa setup. R33's are only a little newer....

True...

As the R33 GTR's came standard with Brembos (so did the R32 GTR V-Spec and V-Spec II's) but I think they only tested the Standard R32 GTR on the N-Ring.

Yes the R33 GTR had things refined which is a +1.

To say a 33 isnt much newer can be misleading. They can be as little as a year or 2 newer or up to 7/8 years newer and that is a friggin lot. How anyone can say the 32 has a better interior than the 33 is beyond me. The 32 looks very dated from the interior perspective.

You can mod the hell out of the 32 and make it bomb proof but that wont fix the age and condition of the rest of the car. Nuts and bolts rusted on is but one of the issues I have seen in the few 32's I,ve had anything to do with along with all the other bits that time and thrashing take their toll on like bent seams and crushed chassis rails etc.

Finding one that hasnt had a hammerring is no easy task and getting harder as the price drops and allows them to fall in to the hands of those with enough folding to buy one but not enough to maintain it to the standard that a car of this calibre deserves.

Performance wise the 33 does have improvements over the 32. I just pulled all the extra chassis braces from a 33 gtr to fit to my gtst, the 32 has none of this. They are only little things on their own but collectively add up to a better performing car all round.

Looks are a personal thing. You like the 32 shape then good for you, Likewise the 33 or 34. My preference is the timeless classic coupe shape of the 33. The 32 is unique in the looks department but wont age as well IMO as the 33.

To say a 33 isnt much newer can be misleading. They can be as little as a year or 2 newer or up to 7/8 years newer and that is a friggin lot. How anyone can say the 32 has a better interior than the 33 is beyond me. The 32 looks very dated from the interior perspective.

You can mod the hell out of the 32 and make it bomb proof but that wont fix the age and condition of the rest of the car. Nuts and bolts rusted on is but one of the issues I have seen in the few 32's I,ve had anything to do with along with all the other bits that time and thrashing take their toll on like bent seams and crushed chassis rails etc.

Finding one that hasnt had a hammerring is no easy task and getting harder as the price drops and allows them to fall in to the hands of those with enough folding to buy one but not enough to maintain it to the standard that a car of this calibre deserves.

Performance wise the 33 does have improvements over the 32. I just pulled all the extra chassis braces from a 33 gtr to fit to my gtst, the 32 has none of this. They are only little things on their own but collectively add up to a better performing car all round.

Looks are a personal thing. You like the 32 shape then good for you, Likewise the 33 or 34. My preference is the timeless classic coupe shape of the 33. The 32 is unique in the looks department but wont age as well IMO as the 33.

agree with everything except the interior. love the 32 interior. and i've had them all from 32-35 and a fair few 32, and 3X 33 GTRs too. you are right, there is a big difference in age between a 89 32 and a 1998 R33 S3 GTR. and finding the good R32 is tough, and you'll end up paying as much for it as a decent 33. like I said, the 33s are the best value. but outright for me, the 32 is the winner. :)

Interesting... i always thought the 32 was the lighter one to the 33.

The 33gtr does sound like the smart buy, its lighter (apparently), newer, faster round the ring and not that much more expensive than 32 gtr's...

Beer Baron you must have a thing for retro interiors cause the 33 interior is much nicer imo!

Ok 3 years ago I saw lots of GTR32's and was put off by age and the interior.

Not to mention the plain front end and plain wing or even no wing.

Paint work was ageing and needed to seeif I really wanted to spend $20 for a re-built motor and second hand gear box.

Not to mention a smaller clutch which would just chew up every time I launched.

They did not come with the larger calipers, not to mention a crank that needs a collar.(At the time collars were $300)

Not to mention the room in the back seats.( I have two kids)

These all were around $23K at the time.

Saw many GTR33's that were looking quite shabby. paint. Interiors etc etc.

They though had better brakes and the extra leg room in the rear not to mention the

electronic 4wd. The car had a great front look with the badge and a good looking stock Wing too.

Quite curvy but I like that.

These were all around $35K at the time. Did not like any of the 10 or so I found.

As far as the GTR34...they were nearly bullet proof but were $75K at the time.

They look the nicest. Great front and back end.The sides though should have been

a bit larger(Should have flared the guards more or something..Looks to much like a GTT

I was just about to buy an Evo 6 when I came across mine.

OK thats my story.

Today I would just buy the GTR34 and be done with it.

You are all asking for troubles if you buy either a GTR32 or 33

You may be luckier with a GTR34...

All cars are ageing and will need a motor re-build and gear-box attention in the future.

All the performance mods cost the same., after all they all run similar running gears and they are the same car really

but with a different shell.

32 Vs 33?

I like them both really. But, honestly the r33 such a commonsense choice these days. Newer, far more modern interior, more torque, higher rev limit, better brakes. The only negative is that it weighs more (50kg which is... nothing) and alot of people aren't too happy with their looks (though I love em, specially the s3).

Each to their own though. A really tidy r32 - properly rebuilt (as in, actually rebuilt not just another person selling a 'fully rebuilt' r32), late model r32 would be fantastic too :D

I actually like the R32 interior *because* it is older, gives its own late 80's, early 90's unique charm. It is retro, but I love it for that :D It also feels like you are wrapped in, and you can feel the exact dimensions of the car.. For instance you can reach an arm out and touch the other door, and you really know where the tail is. It really comes close to the feel of a small hatchback.

The R33 GTR interior is probably a more comfortable place to be for long trips as it is more open. It's interior is also more the modern design with the wider open dash, and where the instruments are wrapped as one piece into the dash. While it is more modern, that also makes it fairly similar to the interior of a few other cars of the 90's, and even cars of today, and somewhat less unique.

Interesting... i always thought the 32 was the lighter one to the 33.

The 33gtr does sound like the smart buy, its lighter (apparently), newer, faster round the ring and not that much more expensive than 32 gtr's...

Beer Baron you must have a thing for retro interiors cause the 33 interior is much nicer imo!

The R32 GTR is lighter than the R33 GTR.

32 Vs 33?

I like them both really. But, honestly the r33 such a commonsense choice these days. Newer, far more modern interior, more torque, higher rev limit, better brakes. The only negative is that it weighs more (50kg which is... nothing) and alot of people aren't too happy with their looks (though I love em, specially the s3).

Each to their own though. A really tidy r32 - properly rebuilt (as in, actually rebuilt not just another person selling a 'fully rebuilt' r32), late model r32 would be fantastic too :D

32/33 essentially the same motor & turbo setup, more torque & a high limiter? Different ecu, dumps, crank. ??

32 is toughest, but im biased :P driven a 33 though. same mods, same performance, car keeps a neater line but feels to big for me.

As far as the racing curcuit 19 years ago goes the 33's were "failures" compared to the kinda destruction the 32's did. Handling probably did increase but power didn't.

My vote is for the R32 though. I love em.

I think this was due to the comparison between the 1st ever R32 GTR and what was available to compete against.

The 89 GTR, at its debut(sp?) had no competition on a racetrack. Im sure theres a video on youtube where the 1st outing of each model is compared.

The 33 was still a great car, but it lost its edge against everything else. No way making it a failure.

It was when the NSX-R, Supra, Evo's and even MR2 Turbos were starting to find their legs. Hell even the 95 Integra Type R gave it a good nudge on the slower speed tracks.

33 is still no slouch, that is just it. It lost the edge. It didnt get worse, it just didnt get better enough to keep the rest of the pack looking useless.

Edited by gotRICE?

R32's brought GTR's to life

If it wasnt for 32, there would not be a 33 and 34.

If it wasnt for 32, I would not own a nissan.

If it wasnt for this topic, i would be driving my 32 right now.

Skylines got its REP from this car.