SAU Community

A Little Help Please

Hi everyone

im planning on rebuilding my R34's n/a engine to be turboed with possibily a Garrett T51R.

i dont intend on using the car for drag racing or track work, just a show/dyno queen as well as occasional streeter (on low boost)

now i dont know really anything on turbos, so if anyone has had any experience with the T51R that would be great.

Yes i was the one going to supercharge my 34 but ive found out i was being lied to by the company that was selling me the kit, so i have decided to turbocharge instead.

and before you all go off your block going if you have never had a turbo dont go such a big one blah blah blah, i never wanted to turbo my car at all. but i always promised myself if i did, i wasnt going to half heartedly. >_<

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't bother turbocharging an NA engine.

There would be too much to do and it would cost too much to get it turbo capable.

You'd be better off buying an RB25DET Neo and throwing that in instead.

As for the T51, don't do it unless you're willing to spend big bucks to provide all of the supporting mods.

The choice is yours in the end, but as you asked for advice, this is my opinion.

Good luck with your decision.

I wouldn't bother turbocharging an NA engine.

There would be too much to do and it would cost too much to get it turbo capable.

You'd be better off buying an RB25DET Neo and throwing that in instead.

As for the T51, don't do it unless you're willing to spend big bucks to provide all of the supporting mods.

The choice is yours in the end, but as you asked for advice, this is my opinion.

Good luck with your decision.

i will be making sure i do all the right supporting mods

T51R... f**king big turbo... Going to be pretty useless on the street...

hence why i said if i was gonna drive her on the street she would be on low boost

You're doing it wrong. Start with a target power figure or budget, and the hardware will then fall out from that. Dont start with the hardware first....

i will be making sure i do all the right supporting mods

hence why i said if i was gonna drive her on the street she would be on low boost

As in, on the street, you're not likely to see boost, unless you wind it up in 2 - 3 gears first.

You're doing it wrong. Start with a target power figure or budget, and the hardware will then fall out from that. Dont start with the hardware first....

my power figure is 500rwkw. mininum.

As in, on the street, you're not likely to see boost, unless you wind it up in 2 - 3 gears first.

as long as i can drive the car occasionally (very rare) that will be the more important thing,. i havent driven her in a week as it is and im having withdrawels lol

what you are saying, is like using an excavator, like a big hitachi one they used to make freeways to dig a hole in your mums garden for a small pot plant

sure you could, but its WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY overkill and youll end up with a crap result, and waste lots of $$$$

a T51R is a sub ~1000HP turbocharger - why on earth would you bother with it?

so back to the drawing board. how much power do you want, how much do you have to spend

forget T51R, forget boost, forget any other keywords

What did the company lie to you about in regards to the super charger? if u don't mind my asking, cuz u seemed pretty dead set on one before.

for 500rwkw, go see a tuner and ask them, your either wasting our time or its a joke or you havent thought this through well enough

i have spoken to both my tuner and engine builder. and it was my engine builder that actually recommended the T51R for my engine setup once its done,

What did the company lie to you about in regards to the super charger? if u don't mind my asking, cuz u seemed pretty dead set on one before.

yeah i know i was dead set, and pretty dissapointed too once id found out i was lied to >_< but thats ok. at least ill know now that my goal of 500rwkw + will be achievable with no second guesses. basically i was told i would easily make 500rwkw, then when i re questioned them about the power output, they said 300-350rwkw.

im just not willing to go spend 6500 on the supercharger kit to only make 350rwkw, when my engine will be capable of 500rwkw +

now i dont know really anything on turbos, so if anyone has had any experience with the T51R that would be great.

You should really add what you want to know about the T51R. From your post you aren't worried about spool etc, so thats good as there won't be much - and you want >500kw which is what a T51R will do fine as well.

What is it you DO need to know about it? It might help you get some more constructive responses - especially if you give some input on what your intended engine build spec is, you are still using the 25 block? Fully forged etc? What fuel will you be dyno queening on?

girls who are into cars are friggin weird. i have dealt with them before. you cannot argue or try and tell them what they are doing is not good and will not be practicle etc etc.

they have an idea and they have this big mission to be cooler / faster then all the boys and they usually never change their mind, most of them have the car off the road for years and years untill they slip out of the scene and just sell it or just keep it and never actually finish it, the ones who do finish it are pretty rare

so instead of trying to tell her to change her mind (waste of time) just stay out of it or try to suggest how to get to her goals.

500rwkw out of a non turbo neo engine will cost lots of money, the engine should probly be grout filled and the head would have to have extensive work as this engine will need to rev past 8000rpm as well, i would think this build would cost 25 grand or more before it will be completed, a decent 26 crank will need to be used etc etc

I have tuned a T51r high flow in a R32 GTR, it will get you around 400 - 450 rwkw on 20psi with pump fuel, and once you turn the boost up to 30psi with c16 or roo 16 you will spin around 600+ rwkw depending on how the car is built.

So yeah the T51r is the turbo to use. remember this car will not be a car that will go fast on the street. you will get beaten by a hyundai excel at the lights and the car will just be a dyno queen with no other purpose.

good luck with it. keep us all posted with the progress. I enjoy seeing what the chickies do to try and make a statement. its great entertainment :closedeyes:

smart decision to ditch the supercharging idea, you should get plenty more constructive advice and ideas on your proposed build.

the best thing for you to do in this thread is to state your exact end requirements and see what others more knowledgable can suggest to get you there, cos it will take a lot....

i'd say your first move would be to ditch the idea of keeping and modifying your current engine regardless of what your budget may be.

All the best!

do you have a boyfriend?

what does he say about your endevours for a 500kw car??

cos i'd be seriously pissed if my girlfriend wanted to waste that much money on a car for a few minutes of fun on a dyno at a car show, cos honestly, it seems that a car with over 300rwkw on the road is pretty useless and to only really use the power on a dyno or on a track really wouldnt be worth the money.

try fooling around in bed, much more fun than sitting in a car on a dyno pulling over 500kw

just my two cents

smart decision to ditch the supercharging idea, you should get plenty more constructive advice and ideas on your proposed build.

the best thing for you to do in this thread is to state your exact end requirements and see what others more knowledgable can suggest to get you there, cos it will take a lot....

i'd say your first move would be to ditch the idea of keeping and modifying your current engine regardless of what your budget may be.

All the best!

yeah but she probly wants to build the most powerfull rb25 - and not go a rb26 or rb 30. for reasons that us blokes will never understand so its best to just let her do it to the rb25 which is possible to do anyway if you have the money.

would be interesting to see how a t51r goes on a 25.

do you have a boyfriend?

what does he say about your endevours for a 500kw car??

cos i'd be seriously pissed if my girlfriend wanted to waste that much money on a car for a few minutes of fun on a dyno at a car show, cos honestly, it seems that a car with over 300rwkw on the road is pretty useless and to only really use the power on a dyno or on a track really wouldnt be worth the money.

try fooling around in bed, much more fun than sitting in a car on a dyno pulling over 500kw

just my two cents

this is the reason why chicks get like this, she will get pissed and angry and have something to prove now. keep your useless comments to yourself.

What is the intended usage for the Car ? 500rwkw is going to be totally useless for anything other than all out Drag racing or being a Dyno Queen. With a Turbo that big it isnt going to be a nice thing to drive at all. Being able to smoke the tyres at 110kmh isnt smart. Think light switch power delivery, Your car will be like driving a mobile slingshot except with no traction...Nothing ,Nothing then wheelspin If you have a copy of Gran turismo 3 at home have a drive of the Suzuki escudo pikes peak car fully modded with no traction control...That will give you half an idea

Hi everyone

im planning on rebuilding my R34's n/a engine to be turboed with possibily a Garrett T51R.

i dont intend on using the car for drag racing or track work, just a show/dyno queen as well as occasional streeter (on low boost)

Yes i was the one going to supercharge my 34 but ive found out i was being lied to by the company that was selling me the kit, so i have decided to turbocharge instead.

and before you all go off your block going if you have never had a turbo dont go such a big one blah blah blah, i never wanted to turbo my car at all. but i always promised myself if i did, i wasnt going to half heartedly. :P

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I'm lost as to what your initial question was. other than asking anyone if they've had any experience with a T51R, you're not asking anything else ie. how to get to 500rwkw with a T51R? seems more like you've just come on here to TELL everyone what your intention is, not how to get there.

However, since we're all TRYING to be helpful; to get to 500rwkw (minimum) you'll need:

Complete Engine rebuild with forged pistons, rods, crank. New bearings etc etc

Extensive head work such as cams, valves, valve springs, valve seats etc etc

Triple plate clutch kit & matching flywheel (incredibly hard to learn to drive)

Usual fuel system upgrades including ecu (surprisingly an apexi power fc can manage 500rwkw)

Much wider front & rear tyres which means exterior mods such as wide bodying.

It's a long way to 500rwkw but if you'd like more/better help, you'd be doing yourself some good to be more concise with what you need help with.

hope this helps and good luck if you're serious about all this 500rwkw rb25de business :)