SAU Community

Just Me Venting.. Why Buy Non Turbo..

And I never claimed it was CONSIDERABLY faster. But I know exactly how a manual commodore gets up and moves, and how an auto one does (I used to own a VN Manual, and a VR Manual, and a VR Auto all V6)

0 - 100KM/H, The VN runs around in 8.1 seconds, R32 GTSt in 8...

1/4 mile, the VN in 15.7 seconds, R32 GTSt 15

If you re-read my previous 2 posts you will see who I quoted as using the word 'considerably', and the fact I never made it out to be you. Your R32 GTS-T times are a bit relaxed there, sub 7sec 0-100 and sub 15sec 1/4 mile should be more accurate for a stock machine (even auto do sub 7s 0-100).

But back to the original question, why a non-turbo Skyline?

- Looks just as cool. People don't generally buy cars they dislike the look of.

- More fuel efficient* (not always)

- Cheaper to purchase

- Cheaper to service

- Potentially cheaper to insure

- Better for provisional / probationary drivers to learn on* (my opinion having owned turbo and non turbo cars on my P's)

I guess some people are dissapointed when they see a good looking Skyline and then find out they're N/A or not as quick as they look.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that if you have to go non-turbo, there are plenty of other cars out there that are better. A non-turbo Skyline isn't a bad car, but an inline-6 Nissan without a turbo is really just a big heavy Taxi without a logbook.

So, what if a Skyline R33/R32/R34 GTR owner comes in here and says that if your gonna buy a Turbo Skyline and cant afford Twin Turbo one, and that there are plenty of other cheaper Twin Turbo cars out there that are faster than a GTST/GTT Skyline? what will ur reply be?

I have owned a R33 GTS auto, it is about the slowest skyline it is possible to own.

And it easily makes it into my top ten  best cars I have driven.

Was it faster than a VN commodore? Yes.

Was it faster than an SS commodore? No. 

Was it better than a turbo skyline (where better means more power)? No.

Was it a huge amount of fun? Yes.

I would buy a non turbo skyline in the future and go crazy on the engine - it would definitely come under the heading of dream car. External appearance stock R33 S1 with TE37's in a dark alloy finish. 

Engine stroked to 2.8, bumped up compression, lightweight forged internals, triple webers (yep you heard me right) or independant throttle bodies (adapted from a 20V 4AGE), blueprinted/balanced, manualised auto with b&m shifter and plenty more besides. I have calculated the cost aaaand it won't happen for a while lets just say :)

I imagine it would sound similar to this:

and

It appeals to me more than a turbocharged car. Why? Personal taste. No other reason. When it comes down to it thats all people bicker over anyhow. 

that 240Z sends shivers down my spine.... :thumbsup:

this is my dream,

I have owned a R33 GTS auto, it is about the slowest skyline it is possible to own.

I would buy a non turbo skyline in the future and go crazy on the engine - it would definitely come under the heading of dream car. External appearance stock R33 S1 with TE37's in a dark alloy finish. 

Engine stroked to 2.8, bumped up compression, lightweight forged internals, triple webers (yep you heard me right) or independant throttle bodies (adapted from a 20V 4AGE), blueprinted/balanced, manualised auto with b&m shifter and plenty more besides. I have calculated the cost aaaand it won't happen for a while lets just say :thumbsup:

and

It appeals to me more than a turbocharged car. Why? Personal taste. No other reason. When it comes down to it thats all people bicker over anyhow. 

Edited by R33_Dude

Engine stroked to 2.8, bumped up compression, lightweight forged internals, triple webers (yep you heard me right) or independant throttle bodies (adapted from a 20V 4AGE), blueprinted/balanced, manualised auto with b&m shifter and plenty more besides. I have calculated the cost aaaand it won't happen for a while lets just say :whistling:

and

probably not the route i would take. a lot of newer designed engines don't work well with carby's. but the ITB like on that rb in the 240 is nice though

Yeah its a bit different - there is one carbed RB25 on an ignition dvd I think. They said it ran fairly well but needed slightly better tuning which can be a big problem with triple carbs - you really need a tuner that knows their stuff.

I just love NA engines as much as forced induction. Carbs more so.

So, what if a Skyline R33/R32/R34 GTR owner comes in here and says that if your gonna buy a Turbo Skyline and cant afford Twin Turbo one, and that there are plenty of other cheaper Twin Turbo cars out there that are faster than a GTST/GTT Skyline? what will ur reply be?

Like what?

The only twin turbo cars I can think of are:

Mitsubishi 3000GT

Toyota Supra

Subaru Liberty B4

Mazda RX-7

(and then you get in to expensive stuff like the new BMW twin turbo I6s, and exotica)

Secondly, there's not much of a gain between the twin turbo and the single turbo (so its not really a good analogy to a NA vs FI discussion). At a certain point even the DETT guys end up going to a single turbo anyway. The biggest advantages to the RB26DETT over the RB25DET isn't the second snail.

If the GT-R guys came in and said if you can't man up and buy an active AWD Skyline (which provides a real benefit), and that there are better RWD turbo cars to buy then the response would be "yeah, you're right".

As asked earlier in the thread...why do people buy Commodores?

Answer: for the rear seat...and I'm not talking about carrying the kids. Have you ever tried doing it in a Skyline? It. Doesn't. Work.

As asked earlier in the thread...why do people buy Commodores?

Answer: for the rear seat...and I'm not talking about carrying the kids. Have you ever tried doing it in a Skyline? It. Doesn't. Work.

yes it does! and im 6ft tall... >.>

this is all about N/A owners who think they have some special rare street racing machine when you're rolling in the pov pack of the Skyline range. As I said before, even R31 owners have found the N/A motors to not really be worth wasting time and money on.

Like what?

The only twin turbo cars I can think of are:

Mitsubishi 3000GT

Toyota Supra

Subaru Liberty B4

Mazda RX-7

(and then you get in to expensive stuff like the new BMW twin turbo I6s, and exotica)

Secondly, there's not much of a gain between the twin turbo and the single turbo (so its not really a good analogy to a NA vs FI discussion). At a certain point even the DETT guys end up going to a single turbo anyway. The biggest advantages to the RB26DETT over the RB25DET isn't the second snail.

If the GT-R guys came in and said if you can't man up and buy an active AWD Skyline (which provides a real benefit), and that there are better RWD turbo cars to buy then the response would be "yeah, you're right".

LoL you got a point

yes it does! and im 6ft tall... >.>

I'm 6'3 but regardless I can't see how anyone can do that shit. You would need a tiny girl and even then there's not much room for movement.

In a Commodore...it might as well be a bedroom!

Yeah its a bit different - there is one carbed RB25 on an ignition dvd I think. They said it ran fairly well but needed slightly better tuning which can be a big problem with triple carbs - you really need a tuner that knows their stuff.

I just love NA engines as much as forced induction. Carbs more so.

It was Best Motoring not Ignition DVD.

Edited by -Jimmy-

I'm 6'3 but regardless I can't see how anyone can do that shit. You would need a tiny girl and even then there's not much room for movement.

In a Commodore...it might as well be a bedroom!

haha, yeah shes pretty tiny alright...:) prolly wont happen again, cos it was cramped. but hey, you gotta try these things