SAU Community

Just Me Venting.. Why Buy Non Turbo..

this whole thread strikes me as a tuh-may-toe, tuh-mah-toe.

does it really matter who buys what with their own money? as long as they enjoy it that's the important part. Hell there's a million cars I'd never own, and be ashamed to own (N/A skyline isn't on that list btw), but I bet my list is different from EVERY single person that I know.

If someone wants a car because they like the way it looks, good on them. There's a reason VW beetles are still popular as hell.

This question is the same as "Why do you buy a 4wd when you never go offroad?" the answer could be anything from "I feel safer driving them in the wet" to "it's my money, and I wanted to".

as long as YOU like YOUR car, and THEY like THEIR car. Who cares?

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We dont care what people buy, But people who try and justify their choice buy saying my NA Skyline is faster than a VN commodore, my NA skyline is better looking blah blah blah....if you wanted a car to beat other cars in a race, firstly you would take it to the track not the bloody streets (where they will soon learn there are some fast V6 commodores around)

and Secondly Buy a car more suited to going fast, Considering turbo skylines are now cheaper to buy than Aspirated ones, It would make sence to buy one if you arnt on P-plate restrictions,

Gts-Ts have bigger brakes, more wheel and tyre options and POTENTIAL to go quick easily and reasonably cheap.

And if you wanted a good looking car you wouldnt have bought a Skyline (any model) because lets be honest they are all f**k ugly compared to many other cars out there.

i think its quite funny that turbo car owners think that they are better than someone else that owns a NA. i mean seriously, maturity level here?

whether its NA or turbo it shouldnt matter, im glad i got my lil NA she has done me proud over and over, a few times disapointed me but you get that.

if i am to be called a poser. then fine ill be a poser. . i dont care. but at least i know that if i ever get pulled over im not gonna get done for having a EBC or aftermaket BOV. i mean yes i have been pulled over, ive even been asked what EBC i run, and i was like, umm what EBC? my car is non turbo! the officer had a look again and said why so it is, why did you get a non turbo? i said because i didnt want to wrap myself around a tree being that it was my first performance car. yes a NA IS a performance car, no matter what you turbo people say. if you say a NA is not a performance car then go tell that to all those NA Drag Cars out there and see what gets said to your face. i would imagine it would not be pretty. and it dosent matter whether it is a straight 6, v6 or v8, they are all performance cars.

im really re considering turboing my lil NA. i dont think im gonna do it, instead ill get some full on head work done, and some custom cams made up to get the car to increase some of her potential.

ive also kept up to cv8 monaros too, manual ones....im not complaining on that....

ive done a lot of things no one else has had the balls to do. and by god ill do it over and over. im not afraid say what you will about my car, say what you will about me. but it comes down to why do you really say what you say? id some what be thinking that jealousy may be part of the issue, i could be wrong, flame me if you have to, go for it.

but in the end I am the one driving the car, not you. so why comment when your not the one owning it or driving it in the first place? seems a bit silly really........

and i hope to have my engine bay done up in the next couple of days, if it is done i will post pics up :D

because i'm bored and it's so easy (and fun) to get NA owners fired up because they have to justify what they drive so much to make up for what they are missing out on, LOL

Oh and to the guy that said he'd like to see an N/A pull a 14.7 here u go:

14.60 with Exhaust & Cat Back. Congrats to the driver.

wow, you manage to find one video. but it's still slower than all the vrx's that run as low as 14.4 with just extractors and exhaust.

And as for people who bought R33s for the way it looks, they seriously need to get their eyes checked. At least the turbo ones have some poke to make up for the ho-hum styling.

i don't like the styling of the 32's because it is just too dated. r33 looks more modern, but each to their own.

as for a modded NA being more reliable than a modded turbo, that is a bit of a laugh. a mate of mine used to have a NA 31 that was extremely modded (ok, so it was only a single cam rb30, but i think it was up there with being one of the fastest NA SOHC rb30 skylines in australia). it got down into the 13's (with the exhaust dropped off at the cat), but he went through i don't know how many motors. seemed to be that every time i was talking to him the motor was having to be rebuilt (and it had all the goodies, twin throttle bodies, rb26 oil pump, head work, strong bottom end, lumpy cams, 3" exhaust, locked diff, lightened flywheel, sticky tyres). where as to get a turbo into the 13's you can use the stock ecu and turbo and just need some half ok tyres. that is where the turbo becomes more reliable. to get a NA just to be as quick as a very mildly modded turbo takes a lot of work and is going to dramatically reduce engine life. and the fact that the turbo model comes with things like bigger brakes that then help you slow down not only from the higher speeds on the track, but if someone happens to pull out in front of you on the street.

look i understand people on their p's can't drive the turbo model and that's fine. but for me the killer with NA models is the fact that they cost more than the turbo model. why bother paying that extra money for the NA one to start with? just buy a shitter for your first car while you are on your p's then when you are allowed to drive the turbo version then get one, especially if you have to take a loan out to buy your first car. the interest you pay makes it one expensive NA skyline.

to be honest i don't care if you love your NA. good for you (not meaning that to sound patronising either). it just shits me when people do the following: 1) say that lancers with evo kits are stupid but NA skylines with gtr kits (or any other kit) are cool. it is exactly the same mod so if one is ricey, so is the other.

2) go on about how much better their NA skyline is than commodores, falcons etc. i have owned a late model commodore (VX), falcon, and 2 magnas (as well as a few other cars) and to be honest, the aussie made stuff aren't bad cars. they go respectably, plenty of low down punch so no need to rev the tits off them to go anywhere like the smaller engined cars, and they are very comfy to drive. if i had to buy a NA 6cyl car for everyday use it wouldn't be a skyline. it would be a commodore or falcon. sure they are common but i'm not an attention whore (if i had to pic between a beat up car that ran 12's and a stock blinged up skyline and wasn't allowed to mod it, i would pic the 12 second car everytime), and for everyday use the aussie made stuff do the job perfectly. and should something go wrong, they are extremely easy to get parts for and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

And if you wanted a good looking car you wouldnt have bought a Skyline (any model) because lets be honest they are all f**k ugly compared to many other cars out there.

in your opinion you mean.

I LOVE the look of skylines, that's part of the appeal for me.

And fair call about "my car can beat whatever car" being a complete wank of a justification. But "because I wanted to" will always be a good enough answer for me as to why someone spent their own money, on something that they wanted.

I LOVE the look of skylines, that's part of the appeal for me.

Really? everyday I look at my car (33) i think its an ugly whale of a thing...but its how it drives that matters to me which is why I bought one in the first place

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH to the supra being mistaken for a Ferrari, Awesome :thumbsup:

i recon a posers car is a European car????

Skylines wouldnt fall under a posers car. If you go to japan they are more of the outlaw car over there and not a posers. All the gangs and guys wanting some EHH EHH :) have Europeans cars. I think that because Australia has so much ugly cars it just looks like that so ...... maybe to a Australian its a posers car.

I dont know how you can compare this because all skylines are different. Sounds like some people have gone out and brought a lemon. My r33 has been compleatly reconditioned and only done 600km at the moment. Haven't driven it over 3500rpm but it still unbelievably fast :| ............ this proves how the cars spent its life.

You have to remember a lot of drivers thrash the shit out of skylines (commodores too) engines until you come across a enthusiast that looks after it. A new skylines is faster than a new commodore in my eyes from experience.

Buuutt if you really want to fix the problem make it a RB27DE like i have just done :D

The GTS25t IS a better car then the N/A and everyone knows that, i never said otherwise. Just saying that an N/A skyline has plenty of power for its small displacement and can hold its own. Everyone has their own opinions.

As an aside, as far as I'm concerned if you're driving a Skyline coupe that isn't a GT-R you're a poseur. It's the AWD twin turbo model that has earned the rep internationally for the "Skyline" name as being one of the best point-to-point cars on the planet. Anyone who's bought a car that merely looks like it because they wanted a "sports car" called a "Skyline" is a wannabe, trying to ride the coat-tails of the legend.

And as for people who bought R33s for the way it looks, they seriously need to get their eyes checked. At least the turbo ones have some poke to make up for the ho-hum styling.

Not the case for me, as I said b4, originally I just wanted a skyline coz I liked their look and call me a newbie if you want, but back then when I was looking for one I knew jack all about them at all, just that they were "the cars shown in initial D that had 4 circle tail lights" & wanted one coz I liked their look.

I didn't know anything about the GT-R's circuit racing records or anything about its "legends" back then, when I bought my car, so I can't be a poser trying to make a GTS-T look like a GT-R when I don't know anything about the subject I'm "supposed" to be posing...

If you want to talk about posers, I can think of plenty from my family friends (they don't never like cars) who buys 'cheapo' BMW 318s & try to show off as being rich coz they own Beemers...

Mayuri Krab, I find that kind of sad that you've never actually fully boosted your car, don't you feel like you've wasted your money then?

Nah, some things are likeable & beautiful just sitting there. I bought a skyline with the intention of just using it for A-B corolla duites (without having to drive a corolla) & its doing just that nicely.

On the more serious note, theres no safe place to fully boost the car on the streets anyway. With all that hoon propaganda going around & brainwashing the general community, you will probably end up getting your car impounded.

Theres the drag strip option, but I'm not really that interested in taking my car there & fully booting the crap out of it. I'm not really interested in what time it will run. All I care is that it "feels" fast enough for me compared to my old cars, that I used to drive (91 VN commodore & a 02 Camry), then its good enough for me.

EDIT: spelt corolla wrong >_>

Edited by Mayuri Krab

I bought my car out of compromise - it ticked all my boxes.

- I always wanted a Skyline (Back then I had no clue about a GT-R) - I was 5 at the time :thumbsup:

- When I learned about the GT-R - I wanted an R34 GT-R - Strictly as a dream car.

- When I was 19 I was after a V6 commodore/statesman - I needed something reasonably comfortable, reasonably priced, preferably auto for practicality (but yearned for a manual when I wanted to drive sporty), had 4 doors, take on long trips, had good performance all round, good on fuel, reasonable to maintain, something that is not embarrassing to drive and can drive on my Ps.

- non-turbo R34 Skyline 4 door came into view - seemed to have everything I wanted and to top it off it had tiptronic for wank value :yes:

It's the best car for what I needed/wanted

I've been off my Ps for over a year now - and there is no way I'll part with my non-turbo skyline - it's the best "all rounder"

Having a turbo is the bees knees - but I've been so happy with my car I've kind of got attached to it :thumbsup:

because i'm bored and it's so easy (and fun) to get NA owners fired up because they have to justify what they drive so much to make up for what they are missing out on, LOL

i honestly dont think im missing out on anything,

turbo cars = use more fuel

non turbo cars = pretty fuel efficient depending on how heavy your right foot is :thumbsup:

turbo cars = yes more things can go wrong

non turbo cars = yes things do go wrong, but not as often as what i have been reading and hearing about from when it comes to the turbo version

i am happy with my car, she has done be very well. why would i want to go and get something with a stupid amount of power right now when i am happy with that i have?

you turbo boys can go black and blue in the face with what ever you want to say about NA whether is be positive or negative, but in the end who cares what you really say, its not your car, so why the hell are you bothering? or is it just because you feel the need to feed your ego because YOU own a turbo car and there are others out there that dont? i mean seriously, WTF!

alot of people now have to go NA becasue of being on theirs P's that dosent mean that they still cant have the beauty of the skyline being that it is NA.

i have a fare few people that respect me for having my car NA, i also cope a far amount of shit too, but normally from people whos car are not anywhere near the standard that i have built mine too.

anyone can bag out anyone's car, its human nature in a way, to try and make them selves feel better about what they own. which is silly cause i would have thought that being part of a community we would put our differences aside and respect each other depsite whether we have a NA or turbo car.

i really think differences should be put aside, and especially some people should grow up and re think what they have wrote and just accept that not every one wants to have a turbo car for whatever reason.

i honestly dont think im missing out on anything,

non turbo cars = pretty fuel efficient depending on how heavy your right foot is :thumbsup:

non turbo cars = yes things do go wrong, but not as often as what i have been reading and hearing about from when it comes to the turbo version

i am happy with my car, she has done be very well. why would i want to go and get something with a stupid amount of power right now when i am happy with that i have?

you turbo boys can go black and blue in the face with what ever you want to say about NA whether is be positive or negative, but in the end who cares what you really say, its not your car, so why the hell are you bothering? or is it just because you feel the need to feed your ego because YOU own a turbo car and there are others out there that dont? i mean seriously, WTF!

alot of people now have to go NA becasue of being on theirs P's that dosent mean that they still cant have the beauty of the skyline being that it is NA.

i have a fare few people that respect me for having my car NA, i also cope a far amount of shit too, but normally from people whos car are not anywhere near the standard that i have built mine too.

anyone can bag out anyone's car, its human nature in a way, to try and make them selves feel better about what they own. which is silly cause i would have thought that being part of a community we would put our differences aside and respect each other depsite whether we have a NA or turbo car.

i really think differences should be put aside, and especially some people should grow up and re think what they have wrote and just accept that not every one wants to have a turbo car for whatever reason.

Says the same person who wanted a 500rwkw 2.7L Supercharged r34...or was it T51R....

Says the same person who wanted a 500rwkw 2.7L Supercharged r34...or was it T51R....

damn you beat me to it. i was going to add on to what you said but i think i will just bite my tongue.

well did any of you maybe think to consider that my financial situation has changed? oh wait, how does this sound, ive been diagnosed with depression due to the way my finances are at the moment........do you feel better knowing that now? are you happy about that?

I think any car is going to use more fuel if you have a heavier right foot. If you stay off the turbo, fuel economy on the turbo-equipped car shouldn't be that much worse than the turbo car - and you have the ability to use the extra power with your right foot if you need to (overtaking or dangerous situation that you need to accelerate out of).

I suspect the problem for many turbo owners - and I'm the same - I'd rather get on the turbo and enjoy the push back into the seat it provides :thumbsup: But hey, I'm also fairly heavy footed on my other car (N/A) - so maybe I just like the rush of acceleration. My car is there to be driven and enjoyed, fuel usage doesn't really bother me much.

I think this is one of those interesting points. If you kept both cars in stock condition - I imagine their reliability wouldn't be that different. The turbo vehicle has a turbo there that could fail, but in stock condition with stock boost? There may also be extra maintenance required on a turbo equipped vehicle - snapped exhaust studs, any extra work on the turbo - having to change the oil more often. But I think that's probably one of those penalties you pay for the extra complication and performance of the vehicle more than anything.

When it gets interesting is when you start bringing modifications in. With a turbo vehicle - you're going getting more 'bang for your buck' - a higher performance gain with less financial outlay - at least for initial modifications. For an N/A car you're immediately getting into more expensive modifications - cams, headwork, compression, etc. You end up spending more money for achieving the same power as the turbo car would with less work. And the less work means the car is more reliable, and has fewer things to fail, and parts not getting pushed beyond their limits. My experience of the turbo vs non-turbo route suggests that when you start modifying non-turbo cars you are more likely to start breaking more parts or having to strengthen more parts in your search for power vs a non-turbo vehicle for the same sort of power gains.

I'm honestly really happy you like your car - you should. And you shouldn't listen to people who bag it. It's your pride and joy!

Personally, I don't really care what people drive - where it's N/A, turbo or supercharged, 4-cylinder, 6 or 8 - inline, V or flat. I'm sure each of us love our own cars for their own reasons. It's very much about personal taste. I'm not really a fan of the aussie v8 engines because of their lack of technology compared to other manufacturers, but I can appreciate the power they produce.

I've read through this entire thread front to back and up till now bitten my tongue, but I figure I'll speak up.

I can agree with some peoples points with regards to getting something similar to the car they want - but restricting to P-plates, they opt for a non-turbo option with the ability to upgrade to a turbo later. This also familiarises the drivers with performance cars and probably results in them getting more experience in a higher-power car which has to be a plus. I can also understand the attitude of others who cant fathom why someone would buy a lesser model of a car (those who ask "why get a GT, GTT and not a GTR!?") - though I think it ignores that people may be restricted by practicality (insurance costs, not enough room in a 2-door, etc), sheer financial outlay on the higher model vs the lesser model, and many other factors.

For myself - I something a car with a good bit of power, turbocharged, japanese import, with the practicality of 4-doors - thus I ended up with an R34 GTT sedan. It was a toss-up between that and a Toyota Chaser JZX100 for me, but the R34 won out in the end - and I love it to bits. That doesn't mean I haven't been sneered at by R34 GTR owners, it happens.

In the end, I just think everyone needs to enjoy their cars and modifying them to suit their tastes :yes:

well did any of you maybe think to consider that my financial situation has changed? oh wait, how does this sound, ive been diagnosed with depression due to the way my finances are at the moment........do you feel better knowing that now? are you happy about that?

big deal. i've had that for years, mixed in with a dose of chronic stress. everyone has problems. i bet my finacial situation is WAY worse than yours.

EDIT: that sounded a bit more harsh than i intended. my main point being, while i am sorry you have depression, you aren't the only person to have problems. there is always someone worse off than you (and most of the time that person is me, LOL)

its true. marc is way worse off than you, or anyone really lol

poor bastard

but on the upside, he's still willing to come into an intersection sideways, viewing the oncoming traffic thru his rear quarter window, because it's all about the smiles :thumbsup:

i should also add. you probably cant do that in a 2.5 NA

Edited by Munkyb0y