SAU Community

Just Me Venting.. Why Buy Non Turbo..

NAs Skylines aren't poser cars.

Just because they aren't quick in a straight line doesn't mean they're as slow as a Commodore or Lancer on the track. They're great cars to learn in.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think its quite funny that turbo car owners think that they are better than someone else that owns a NA. i mean seriously, maturity level here?

whether its NA or turbo it shouldnt matter, im glad i got my lil NA she has done me proud over and over, a few times disapointed me but you get that.

if i am to be called a poser. then fine ill be a poser. . i dont care. but at least i know that if i ever get pulled over im not gonna get done for having a EBC or aftermaket BOV. i mean yes i have been pulled over, ive even been asked what EBC i run, and i was like, umm what EBC? my car is non turbo! the officer had a look again and said why so it is, why did you get a non turbo? i said because i didnt want to wrap myself around a tree being that it was my first performance car. yes a NA IS a performance car, no matter what you turbo people say. if you say a NA is not a performance car then go tell that to all those NA Drag Cars out there and see what gets said to your face. i would imagine it would not be pretty. and it dosent matter whether it is a straight 6, v6 or v8, they are all performance cars.

im really re considering turboing my lil NA. i dont think im gonna do it, instead ill get some full on head work done, and some custom cams made up to get the car to increase some of her potential.

ive also kept up to cv8 monaros too, manual ones....im not complaining on that....

ive done a lot of things no one else has had the balls to do. and by god ill do it over and over. im not afraid say what you will about my car, say what you will about me. but it comes down to why do you really say what you say? id some what be thinking that jealousy may be part of the issue, i could be wrong, flame me if you have to, go for it.

but in the end I am the one driving the car, not you. so why comment when your not the one owning it or driving it in the first place? seems a bit silly really........

and i hope to have my engine bay done up in the next couple of days, if it is done i will post pics up :)

legend.

love the fact u got a AE86 aswell lol

legend.

love the fact u got a AE86 aswell lol

its an AE82 :)

nice lil car for my daily while the R34 gets made into my gorgoues lil show car that she is becoming :P

NA represent! iv been to the turbo side...didnt like it much. when it eventually died i slapped my NA stuff back on and now its better than ever xD

the amount of times i get complimented on it...well iv lost count. and had the servo story more than once too :O but hey, these things are still quick, and youv gotta remember too, that no matter, turbo, or non turbo, its still gonna shit all over any commodore worked or unworked, in the twisties, thats a proven fact, on many occasions. (thats with stock suspension :P )

if you take good care of it, itl be quick and reliable. more reliable than most cars on the road today

haha, i love that.. "ive been to the turbo side...didnt like it much".. You just made my day :) mmm twisties.

its an AE82 :)

nice lil car for my daily while the R34 gets made into my gorgoues lil show car that she is becoming :P

haha aww. Must be abit of an upgrade when u sit into the 34 then huh

yeah it is, i dont even have any issues adjusting with the two different clutches, normally i only have issues when i go from the R34 to the AE82 cause the R34 has such a heavy clutch and the AE82 dosent!

funny how an el cheapo turbo set up is still going to be quicker than an N/A with huge cams, ported head etc lol

look you guys obviously have you reasons for going N/A but for most of us it seems well really quite pointless to buy a Skyline without a turbo, apart from the handling side of things. For the money spent vs the potential gains, you'd be insane not to turbo unless you were on a restriction ie p plater.

funny how an el cheapo turbo set up is still going to be quicker than an N/A with huge cams, ported head etc lol

look you guys obviously have you reasons for going N/A but for most of us it seems well really quite pointless to buy a Skyline without a turbo, apart from the handling side of things. For the money spent vs the potential gains, you'd be insane not to turbo unless you were on a restriction ie p plater.

p plater :)

Having owned a GTS-T for almost 2 years now (no car restriction here for P-paters at WA so I bought one literally 2 weeks after I got my Ps :)) theres one thing that pops up in mind with regarding to turbo & N/A cars.

1st off I always wanted a skyline (actually got that after watching initial D, for some reason that black R32 GT-R stood out from the other cars from the anime... must be because of the 4 circle tail lights LOL :) ) & I just want one for basic A-B duites. With my granny driving style, the only time I hit the 1st stage boost (5psi) is when accelerating onto the free way (60 to 100) which only last for a about a second or so. I have yet to hit the 2nd stage boost (7psi) as I have never revved the car past 4500rpm. So in all other times its pretty much the same as driving a N/A car seeing how I don't hit boost doing daily A-B shopping duty drives.

So in my particular case, whether its turbo or not doesn't really bother me. But seeing how most GTS-Ts goes for about the same price as the N/A, its better value for money to get the turbo versions.

That's funny since i know of numerous N/A skylines that have left all types of commodores back 3-4 cars. An N/A skyline has more power and is lighter than a commodore V6(VN 125kw - R33 140-147kw). So any driver with half a brain could chop one.

Actually, a driver with half a brain wouldn't bother racing a 6 cylinder VN. So the fact that you NA Skyline guys apparently do..........

My girlfriend's MX-5 goes faster in a straight line than her ex's R34 GT. When you get beaten by a hairdresser's car in acceleration you know your vehicle fails at performance.

mate, the one thing i love about my 33 is it has potential to be whatever i want it to be. those commonwhore drivers can only do what put in a v8, i can slam in a rb26, or just a standard 25det and my car will be faster and better looking. there is a reason commonwhores are only sold in aust. the skyline is a global fascination.

If you're talking engine swaps, you can put in anything you like with enough money. And what's wrong with dropping a V8 into a car? FI kits for Commodore engines (both 6 and 8 cylinders) are relatively cheap and you can screw a bucketload of power out of them.

Your arrogance is a perfect example of the problems in the car "world".

Yes, its full of these things called "facts" that people like you can't refute. It does seem to be a problem for you.

What I love is that this thread started off about NA vs FI, and almost all the NA guys are (favourably) comparing their cars to taxis and almost no mention against the turbo variants of the car (i.e. the point of the "venting"). I guess they subconsciously know their cars can't compare and so they just try to distract everyone from the point with SAU's favourite punching bag.

Also, just because someone who calls your car a shitbox also owns a shitbox doesn't make their claim any less truthful.

As an aside, as far as I'm concerned if you're driving a Skyline coupe that isn't a GT-R you're a poseur. It's the AWD twin turbo model that has earned the rep internationally for the "Skyline" name as being one of the best point-to-point cars on the planet. Anyone who's bought a car that merely looks like it because they wanted a "sports car" called a "Skyline" is a wannabe, trying to ride the coat-tails of the legend.

And as for people who bought R33s for the way it looks, they seriously need to get their eyes checked. At least the turbo ones have some poke to make up for the ho-hum styling.

FYI I've got nothing against NA cars. Just against NA variants of what should be a turbo car. I'd say the same thing to Impreza RX owners. Just like I've got nothing against RWD cars, unless the AWD version is the one you'd actually want.

Edited by scathing

Yeah I dunno I've never seen the point in owning an N/A, sure they handle good, but sloooow, and generally lacking in features anyway.

Nobody's fooled, apart from the owners, who always seem to think they are in the real deal and try racing everyone. (had a R33 GTS-4 trying to get me to give it a go recently lol FFS.)

The talk of modifying the non turbo motors reminds me of the kind of people who try and modify 202 powered Holdens to go fast really; lots of money effing around and the end result a cranky motor with average performance that is still trounced by an average 308. MissR34 you were trying to convince us that a supercharger was going to give you 500rwkw then a T51R or something equally ridiculous lol.

Schoolgirls and the retarded might be impressed by a R33 (not even bringing in the boat like styling but thats subjective) but even out here in the boonies there are dozens and dozens of them, with an increasing number owned by bogans who shop at Bob Jane and Supercheap Auto.

Nice comment on the previous page about 'pulling chicks', if you need a car to get skanks you're obviously got the world's most boring personality. Kind of goes hand in hand with driving one to get attention from people; I can guarantee all they are thinking is ("God ANOTHER R33", or "that sounds like shit").

You people dreaming that your 140kw wonders would even KEEP up to a Monaro or whatever it was that was mentioned are dreaming. Maybe up to 40km/h until the LS1 hits powerband?

Mayuri Krab, I find that kind of sad that you've never actually fully boosted your car, don't you feel like you've wasted your money then?

Hahaha what does that make R31 owners then Scathing? BTW I think the legend you're referring to there is that of 'Godzilla'. The single turbo Skylines had already been known in international motorsport well before that.