SAU Community

Track Report: Rota Rims And P-cup Slicks..

LSX-438

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We've got a few sets of tyres now for the 2010 season!

Including RE55's, Dunlop and Michelin slicks. Can't wait t see how the Dunlops go, should heat up quicker and be good for the sprints :P

tyres_2010.jpg

If they did indeed run hardness tests (very simple) then you can make a good approximation of the tensile strength. Given casting flaws are one of the main drivers for fatigue cracking I think you can be pretty comfortable based on the x-ray results.

Other than (expensive and time consuming) fatigue testing the only other thing you could possibly do is get a metallurgist to take a look at the microstructure (something the distributor might donate a wheel for perhaps).

well the miss's did some testing on the weekend

punched my rotors up the guter at about 50

they didnt explode into dust either!

Thanks for sharing this info guys.

i have just ordered a set of Volk RE30 19's with Hoosier R6 slicks from the USA. Same set up as alot of guys in the USA are running. Clearances are fine and being Volk im sure there is no question over their strength etc.

RE30 19x10.0 +30 5-114.3

RE30 19x11.0 +20 5-114.3

I know they will be more expensive but will be good to compare in the New Year and see how they go against your set up.

Dont quote me on this but i also think this set up above is approx 7kg lighter per corner.

i have just ordered a set of Volk RE30 19's with Hoosier R6 slicks from the USA. Same set up as alot of guys in the USA are running. Clearances are fine and being Volk im sure there is no question over their strength etc.

RE30 19x10.0 +30 5-114.3

RE30 19x11.0 +20 5-114.3

I know they will be more expensive but will be good to compare in the New Year and see how they go against your set up.

Dont quote me on this but i also think this set up above is approx 7kg lighter per corner.

wow, that will be f**king epic.

RE30 19x10.0 +30 5-114.3

RE30 19x11.0 +20 5-114.3

Sounds great and should look good too! Congrats.

Gotta love the inernet experts driving 32 taxi's telling the 35 gtr boys how to suck eggs.

because as we all know, money buys smarts. let us all bow down to the owners of expensive cars and their immense wealth of knowledge.

(not a dig at R35 owners, a dig at idiots who think driving an expensive car gives their opinion any more credibility, which clearly some fan boys think)

Speaking of idiots, Was it you reccomending illegal fitment of wheels and tyres to forum users.

yes. just like every day i also recommend illegal coilovers, illegal suspension arms and illegal engine modifications, bit like 90% of SAU now that i think about it.

• 3 months later...
Dunc, I am still waiting for UPS to clear my TE37s - should have them tomorrow afternoon all going well, then its straight onto the car for fitment :)

The brand spankers Carrera Cup slicks are sitting here waiting. Also took another 40kg off the car with this baby - our new full Titanium Race exhaust, its light as a feather, around 8kg in total :(

Hey Martin,

How did the Te37's go for brake clearance in the end? trying to decide between the rotas/TE37's.

thanks

haha no problem. it was a pleasure. felt funny driving at 7/10ths though

congrats on the awesome sprint laptime in the s2000. is that thing street legal?? LOL that 4cyl is smashing all the 6's, 8's and turbos out there :)

as for the ROTAs - they are so cheap! Duncan certainly is a convincing arguement for them.

I have been on the phone to Ryan from Jongbloed in the states today.

he reckons his rims allow for good brake clearance due to custom design, and seems happy to stand by his product.

the GOTO R35 team over there have used them without any concerns

plus he will make any size, offset.

come in anodised black too

gtrsunset.jpg

nothing wrong with the rotas for what they are, remember we had them tested/xrayed and the cast was good with no flaws. i am sure the Jongbloed items will be much better proposition though.

Handbrake, just notice this - apologies (Im not here to help people out, just advertise my own stuff right! :blink: )

The clearance is 'minimal' with the TE37s in place.

Also another concern is brake cooling with an 18 as the vanes of the rotor are partially shrouded, but we have something to fix this....ahhh there I go again! :)