SAU Community

Turbo Sticking Out Of The Bonnet

Hey guys,

Me and my mate have been working on our rb30det dedicated drag cefiro....all the engine work is pretty much half completed, just bolting all the outside stuff on etc to go,

But me and my mate had a cool thought ( and is more likely to be a stupid one!)....what if we had a custom top mount manifold that stuck the turbo high out of the bonnet so it always gets cold air...not bothering with any cold air intakes/boxs etc and we were already going to buy an expensive manifold so we dont get cracks later on down the road,

But would having a turbo sticking out of the bonnet such as a gt30/40...would the on coming air while your driving cause it to lag because the air rushing at it can slow down the turbine? or would it not affect it? or would it run any better having cold air going through and more air? (even tho i know its more for looks then anything :D )

Iv seen some proper decked out drag cars that do the same with their turbos...but there expensive engines and the turbo is probly on boost from the very beginning,

Any thourghts would help! thanks guys

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea i get that big drag cars mainly do it because of the size of the turbo is too big to be stuffed anywhere....but does it provide any negative performance gains or any positive ones? thats mainly what i want to know

PERFORMANCE GAINS MAN WHO CARES YOU WOULD LOOK SO FULLEEEEEEE SIIIIIIIIICK!!!!!!

no gains, nada none. not until you were doing 200+km/h - below those speeds you would just appear to be the wanker that you are.

if the turbo is out of the bonnet, then you can have a nice and short dump pipe directing the hot air away from the car and thats it. Go as big as possible.

Good luck if it is raining hard.
Me and my mate have been working on our rb30det dedicated drag cefiro

How often you seen WSID lit up when it's raining?

I think that whole "nothing good to say, say nothing at all." thing may apply here.

PERFORMANCE GAINS MAN WHO CARES YOU WOULD LOOK SO FULLEEEEEEE SIIIIIIIIICK!!!!!!

no gains, nada none. not until you were doing 200+km/h - below those speeds you would just appear to be the wanker that you are.

Why wouldn't it work until 200? Are you talking of a ram-air effect?

I don't think the plan is to get a ram-air effect, I think the plan is to get access to nice, cold, clean air.

You're a dickhead.

Gee thats being a little harsh isnt it ? Why call him a wanker for ? He did say it was for a dedicated drag car-So I am assuming it will never be street driven.I guess it would make working on the car a LOT easier.Shorter piping as well. I would be making up some kind of fibreglass RAM air intake feeding directly into it....

I reckon you've just outed yourself as a dickhead.

I don't think the OP is wanting a ram-effect, I think rather he is chasing nice cold, clean air.

Turbulence around turbo charger intakes allmost allways affects power in a negative way. I'm not saying that a proper cold air setup doesn't help but you need to let the turbo to draw the air in and align the air with the impeller. You could just put a pod on the the intlet of the turbo.

there was a bit of this going on at Powercruise- anyone that was there would have noticed the green Torrie with the rego 'SUBTLE' that had two huge turbos almost completely out of the bonnet...

plenty of top-end drag cars these days have the turbo just high enough so the inducer sits level with the bonnet, with the bonnet shaped as a guide near the bottom of the inlet. freshest air possible with no vacuum losses, but not great for engine life. sucking in a dragon-fly or some other big insect prolly wouldn't do the turbo much good, either

there was a bit of this going on at Powercruise- anyone that was there would have noticed the green Torrie with the rego 'SUBTLE' that had two huge turbos almost completely out of the bonnet...

plenty of top-end drag cars these days have the turbo just high enough so the inducer sits level with the bonnet, with the bonnet shaped as a guide near the bottom of the inlet. freshest air possible with no vacuum losses, but not great for engine life. sucking in a dragon-fly or some other big insect prolly wouldn't do the turbo much good, either

Cant really see drag car guys even the top end guys testing the effectivness its effectiveness.

I would definitely look into doing it for a dedicated drag car. As stated maybe run a pod filter on it to minimise turbulence around the inlet to the turbo & to stop sucking crap in. Have seen full-race (unlimited budget) drag cars with the bonnet shaped to act as a sort of scoop to help feed air into the turbo...