SAU Community

Turbo Sticking Out Of The Bonnet

& also if you do go ahead would possibly look into having the whole turbo out of the bonnet, not just the compressor side...

Most top-end drag cars have compressor only but they are worried about drag, etc to get the best possible results (fractions of a second...)

I am just thinking with whole turbo poking out you will be reducing a lot of heat that is normally in the engine-bay.

Ceramic-coat, heat-wrap & heat shield your manifold, run a TINY exhaust straight off the turbo (so that it doesn't return into the engine-bay) & you will have lost a lot of trapped heat compared to a normal set-up. Just a thought...

& be sure to post pics if you do it!

Edited by wlspn

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ywah a pod on it would be a good idea i think too...

Do you guts think id still need an intercooler? or would it be possible to keep a standard rb25 intake manifold and just hav a pipe running straight off the turbo and into that as it would be like 2 feet away from each other for better response because of way less piping....or will it make no difference?

A thing worth knowing about bonnets of cars is they are part of a boundry layer - subject to LOW pressure, you will be breaking up the boundry layer and having a huge negative effect on the car's aerodynamics... which if the car is intended to be fast enough that you are worried about the air flow to this degree (with a GT3040!?!) then aeros are worth considering. There is also the whole fact that the bonnet surface of most cars tends to be a low pressure zone, unless really close to the windscreen - its going to want to suck air away from the turbo unless turbo the turbo is FULLY outside the bonnet. That'd look pretty gay, and do shit things to aerodynamics.

If its that full on a drag car, remove the headlight and duct air straight to the turbo, also if you haven't already bought a turbo - get a Borg Warner S300SX series turbo.... you seem worried about the staunch look of the turbo (even if you don't admit it) and they look sound and flow awesomely, not the best spool (not the worst either) but they are pretty cheap if you are willing to go to the effort of getting one.

RE: The intercooler question, are you serious? Have you almost built this? This is a drag car right? Cooling/more power is well worth more than response in a drag car. Cold air induction is not going to negate the need for an intercooler, as the act of compressing air is where most of the heat you need an intercooler for comes from.

PERFORMANCE GAINS MAN WHO CARES YOU WOULD LOOK SO FULLEEEEEEE SIIIIIIIIICK!!!!!!

no gains, nada none. not until you were doing 200+km/h - below those speeds you would just appear to be the wanker that you are.

LOL I laughed hard at this even if it was unnecessarily harsh. You been having a bad day Kinks?

Good luck if it is raining hard.

Yer lol. Aww shit my turbo is glowing red again...get me the garden hose!

well were more toying with ideas at the moment....thanks for the info though Lithium,

i am going to confess...it would be more for looks....but wondering what would happen if i did it, but yea taking the headlight out would work just as good

as the mafia said, a 3040 is not a drag turbo,

Based on what though?

If the OP has a power goal in mind, and that happens to be around 300-330rwkw, then there is nothing wrong with the choice of GT3040 at all (6-bladed/GT wheel).

Just because it is not big & does not make 450rwkw means very little.

Pick the turbo to suit the aim, sounds like that is whats. Drag car's don't need super response as long as you sit in a good band over power.

GT3076, GT3040, both will give you around 4000rpm worth of good power making.

Do you guts think id still need an intercooler? or would it be possible to keep a standard rb25 intake manifold and just hav a pipe running straight off the turbo and into that as it would be like 2 feet away from each other for better response because of way less piping....or will it make no difference?

If you are asking a question like that i think you need to rethink this whole building a drag car idea.

Ywah a pod on it would be a good idea i think too...

:)

My unprofessional opinion on this is to stick with a highmount turbo that will sit below the bonnet level just. Seen as its a dedicated drag car hack the bonnet and deliberately shape the bonnet to sink down towards turbo inlet.

The goal being to keep airflow as steady as possible over the bonnet whilst also helping guide fresh air into the turbine. I see a turbo sticking right out of the bonnet as creating unnecessary drag which will not help you go faster. Remoulding the bonnet to guide air into the turbo without it actually sticking out you will still be able to seal it off to fresh air but without adding unnecessary drag.

Do some research on the net regarding Aerodynamics for drag racing purposes as it will explain this better. You want to avoid any extremities that will mess up the airflow.

My 2c.

Luke

If you are asking a question like that i think you need to rethink this whole building a drag car idea.

That would all depend on what he is going to run the car on. He could run a killer Methanol setup without an intercooler

Based on what though?

If the OP has a power goal in mind, and that happens to be around 300-330rwkw, then there is nothing wrong with the choice of GT3040 at all (6-bladed/GT wheel).

Just because it is not big & does not make 450rwkw means very little.

Pick the turbo to suit the aim, sounds like that is whats. Drag car's don't need super response as long as you sit in a good band over power.

GT3076, GT3040, both will give you around 4000rpm worth of good power making.

my comment was based on that its a full time drag car, and that i dont think there would be many full time RB30 drag cars running a 30/40, especially one considering sticking it half way out the bonnet

now im not that nolegable on these turbos and what times they would get u in, but i would assume any one building a drag specific car would be atleast aiming for a 10.

not starting an arguement, just justifying my comment, which in hindsight wasnt based on much knowledge, just an opinion

Sup ,

I think it would give the car character :spank: and also raise the chances of blowing a comp wheel from someshit getting stuk in it lmaoooo

(BITCH TIME)

Im also slowly starting to get sick of idiots giving shit to people who are "modifying" their cars.. mostly these people giving shit because they cant afford to do it them selves but honestly ... its becoming a joke u cant post anything on this forum with respect to doing some fun mods without being hounded by 50 year old jaguar enthusiasts who are STRICT on keeping their car FACTORY because all the smart engineers built the cars that way for a reason!!! ITS HIGH FOR A REASON ITS GOT BODY ROLL FOR A REASON BLA BLA BLA PUT SOME BLODDY COILOVERS ON IT N SHUT UR MOUTH sorry im just angry lol venting...etc.. what im saying is.. MOST of Nissans profits are from the modification aspect to their performance cars.. reason they dont put fkn heavyduty clutches in their cars.. COZ THEY KNOW they gona be profiting from all the clutch manufactures making HD clutches for their cars... hence u drop a patch and u need a new clutch... woah massive bitch ok im over it...

(BITCH OVER)

night boys :D