SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

paulr33

My bro applied for Industrial Design at Monash Uni. Got letter saying, we want you but not enough places, wait till someone drops out.

Decided to go through Monash College; a private college meaning no hecs, so its full fee (loan from the college)

$20,000 for first year. Course was full of bullshit arts subjects. In order to get into Industrial Design or Architecture, you needed 80% average. Which is bullshit because how can you grade artwork. Comes down to how the fag arts teacher "feels" about your creation etc

All they "feel" is that if they keep your average below 80%, thats more money for them lol

Dropped out, before the 2nd year starts ($15000) and re-applying for the course in the new year.

Industrial Design at Monash is super popular & is a massive pain in the ass to get into. I've done it & my little brothers doing it now but neither of us got straight in, I started a mech eng/design degree (also at monash) & then transfered across & bro did a couple year furniture design course through RMIT then got in when he re-applied.

Tell your brother to keep at it though as monash is the ducks nuts for I.D., the majority of people go and do something else first to build up their folio which makes it heaps easier, northland college is pretty popular i think.

The main issue is they take stuff all people, think there was 25 in my year, when i did eng there was hundreds of people in a class! But at the end of the day its worth it, think only 3/4 people from my year didnt walk straight into work after graduation & if you want to get into the automotive field its your best shot by a long way.

Industrial Design at Monash is super popular & is a massive pain in the ass to get into. I've done it & my little brothers doing it now but neither of us got straight in, I started a mech eng/design degree (also at monash) & then transfered across & bro did a couple year furniture design course through RMIT then got in when he re-applied.

Tell your brother to keep at it though as monash is the ducks nuts for I.D., the majority of people go and do something else first to build up their folio which makes it heaps easier, northland college is pretty popular i think.

The main issue is they take stuff all people, think there was 25 in my year, when i did eng there was hundreds of people in a class! But at the end of the day its worth it, think only 3/4 people from my year didnt walk straight into work after graduation & if you want to get into the automotive field its your best shot by a long way.

random wasteland stalker comes out of the shadows with the goods!

haha

yeah, he's managed to build up a portfolio from his $20,000 college stint and will be presenting that now. Hopefully that will be enough this time to push him over to the 'A' letter. (got a 'B' letter last time)

Hows the job future for this career? Sounds quite specialized and probably tricky to find a job in Australia?

nothing worse than driving and having a hundsman run across your windscreen...

I rekin having one run across the inside of your windscreen at 5am in the dark is worse...then when you pull over asap because you're as close to being arachnaphobic as possible without actually being arachnaphobic, and it's disappeared, then you find it on your steering wheel, so you hit it with the only thing you have, your work boot, and it disappears again, only to find it on your seat 5 minutes later...

Then you drive to work in the dark with no street lights, and paranoia kicks in and it feels like there's spiders crawling all over you...that's worse.

Dezz do you still have your stock a-pillar plastic? Getting rid of my twin gauge holders but its an el cheapo and i have a hole for a screw in my pillar

Cheers

It's been up for sale for like a year now...and you missed out by 24 hours.

random wasteland stalker comes out of the shadows with the goods!

haha

yeah, he's managed to build up a portfolio from his $20,000 college stint and will be presenting that now. Hopefully that will be enough this time to push him over to the 'A' letter. (got a 'B' letter last time)

Hows the job future for this career? Sounds quite specialized and probably tricky to find a job in Australia?

haha yeah nothing on telly so im reading everything for a change!

Jobs arent too bad, i.d. is pretty good in that you come out being able to go into a heap of different design areas. for example from my year, couple guys went to i.d. companies in melb (companies that do basically all kinds of work for clients), ones designing characters/environments for a video game company in port melbourne, few doing furniture design, ones working for dyson in the uk, couple doing web design, another went to italy to do his masters (now working there) & a heap of us went into automotive. 3 are designers (1 holden, 1 ford, 1 merc in china but previously honda in japan), 1's a photoshop artist at ford, 4 or 5 are alias modellers (ford, holden, hsv, they do all the 3d computer modelling during design process) & me & a mate got clay modelling jobs at ford. We make the concept/proto-type cars out of clay, generally all full size & do interiors too.

There is heaps of auto work overseas, generally contract based, & pretty easy to move around once you've got about 5yrs experience. Auto design took a massive beating during gfc but pretty much back to full speed again (here & o.s.), I've been out of ford for about 18mths now (I worked on fords new t6 ranger so finished up at end of program) & have just been sluming it in factories since but as i said its all good again, currently have 2 offers & just working out where i wanna go.

As i said earlier i dont venture into vic wasteland all that often so if you/your bro have any questions about i.d. at monash or just in general shoot me a pm.

cheers, Tim

My bro applied for Industrial Design at Monash Uni. Got letter saying, we want you but not enough places, wait till someone drops out.

Decided to go through Monash College; a private college meaning no hecs, so its full fee (loan from the college)

$20,000 for first year. Course was full of bullshit arts subjects. In order to get into Industrial Design or Architecture, you needed 80% average. Which is bullshit because how can you grade artwork. Comes down to how the fag arts teacher "feels" about your creation etc

All they "feel" is that if they keep your average below 80%, thats more money for them lol

Dropped out, before the 2nd year starts ($15000) and re-applying for the course in the new year.

sounds alot like studio art :\

the lecturer at RMIT was telling me its all design based, you get to team up with bitches doing fabric design etc to design materials n shit(hopefuly their bitches)

ill get some pics of what i made on saturday.

oh and RMIT ships you off os for a year of study/work experience :D

haha yeah nothing on telly so im reading everything for a change!

Jobs arent too bad, i.d. is pretty good in that you come out being able to go into a heap of different design areas. for example from my year, couple guys went to i.d. companies in melb (companies that do basically all kinds of work for clients), ones designing characters/environments for a video game company in port melbourne, few doing furniture design, ones working for dyson in the uk, couple doing web design, another went to italy to do his masters (now working there) & a heap of us went into automotive. 3 are designers (1 holden, 1 ford, 1 merc in china but previously honda in japan), 1's a photoshop artist at ford, 4 or 5 are alias modellers (ford, holden, hsv, they do all the 3d computer modelling during design process) & me & a mate got clay modelling jobs at ford. We make the concept/proto-type cars out of clay, generally all full size & do interiors too.

There is heaps of auto work overseas, generally contract based, & pretty easy to move around once you've got about 5yrs experience. Auto design took a massive beating during gfc but pretty much back to full speed again (here & o.s.), I've been out of ford for about 18mths now (I worked on fords new t6 ranger so finished up at end of program) & have just been sluming it in factories since but as i said its all good again, currently have 2 offers & just working out where i wanna go.

As i said earlier i dont venture into vic wasteland all that often so if you/your bro have any questions about i.d. at monash or just in general shoot me a pm.

cheers, Tim

pretty much what i wish to do, i tried to make a small scale clay prototype but that failed miserably, wooden under structure wasnt strong enough, collapsed, hurts my brain thinking about it

i just bought some new work nuts to go with my work wheels...

mebbe you can buy a coke can to go with your rota's?

Lol good call haha

I love my Kics Revo R40 nuts, they're so cool!!!

You still wanna buy that turbo? Just Borrow my heat gun when you pick it up

Maybe not such a bad idea to upgrade the turbo while I'm at it... And I'll need to change exhaust, intercooler, etc.

You found the clutch yet?

Still looking for reasonably priced 20det, everyone is asking drug money for one.

Maybe not such a bad idea to upgrade the turbo while I'm at it... And I'll need to change exhaust, intercooler, etc.

You found the clutch yet?

Still looking for reasonably priced 20det, everyone is asking drug money for one.

nah.... annoying huh... it's a thousand dollar fkn clutch and it's totally gone missing when i moved house :P

nah.... annoying huh... it's a thousand dollar fkn clutch and it's totally gone missing when i moved house :P

I hate moving houses, stuff get lost like one of my toolbox... It's MIA since I moved houses 2 months ago and I need it to use it to remove the nut on rear coilovers on my R.

fixed

no jamie, i was walking down to the milkbar one sunday morning and there was a garage sale, saw the deer n also found out they had other stuffed shit. paid 50 bux for the lot and took them home and scared my mum with them (imagine her reaction coming home and finding a deer in her kitchen lol)

so i threw them in the garage, chucked them for sale and yeah, got a solid bite from a bloke in adelaide

still have a stuffed german shepherd if anyone wants it

same dog, less shit, got that one seperatley though

You crazy kid!

:P

Geesus!

You pretty much said it Pat, couldn't have said it better myself!

It's fucked!

LOL!