SAU Community

Bc Racing Coilovers?

been on BCs (not my car) - felt ok...

I own MCA X-R with 10/7 spring rates and feels more planted and less bumpy than a set of BCs with 8/6

Also 32 adjustment on the BC vs 12... ain't no body got time for 32 adjustment points.. heck 12 is 4 too much.

adjustment mostly comes in handy if you change the rate of the spring.

Otherwise yeah nah

Seeing this a lot lately, MCA > BC.

Could someone who has run both please summarise why MCA's are better?

Had set on my car. Went to south circuit and was wondering why the front end kept dipping so much and why it felt a bit floaty.

Ripped them out, threw in a set of mca xr's. Went back to the track and found it was more level less play in the nose.

also road use the bumps feel better.

If it's just for street use you'd be silly to pass up mca blues. Might even do a sneaky track day on them if you're not very serious.

Had set on my car. Went to south circuit and was wondering why the front end kept dipping so much and why it felt a bit floaty.

Ripped them out, threw in a set of mca xr's. Went back to the track and found it was more level less play in the nose.

also road use the bumps feel better.

If it's just for street use you'd be silly to pass up mca blues. Might even do a sneaky track day on them if you're not very serious.

Thanks - Was that comparing BC BR's to MCA Reds?

Looking at the pricing the Blues are in the vicinity of BR pricing, Reds are basically double that.

The MCA X series is similar pricing to BC ER series. I don't think BC do anything in a similar price to the Reds.

Anyway, horses for courses.

3 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

been on BCs (not my car) - felt ok...

I own MCA X-R with 10/7 spring rates and feels more planted and less bumpy than a set of BCs with 8/6

Johnny were these BC BR's?

1 hour ago, Hadouken said:

Br's to xr's

Cheers, that's a fairly different price range there. Quick scan on eBay lists shipped prices for BC BR's at $1,399 vs. MCA X-R Series (Race) $2,536.95 so hardly apples vs. apples.

I'd love to see a back-to-back comparison of BC BR's vs. MCA Reds and BC ER's vs. MCA X Series in the same car and same road/track.

I think it's very much apples vs apples. For the evo it was 1400 for the bc br's and 2k for the xr's.

Also I think model vs model it would go like this.

Bc v1 vs mca blue
Bc br vs mca xr
Bc er vs mca red

The xr is considered to be a introductory track coilover same as the br.

Mca recommends the red for serious track use and once again same goes for the bc er

LOL thanks for the recommendations.

I've had good experiences with the BC BR in my other car but I'll read up on the MCAs.

Car is used for weekend street duties if it is lucky with a track day thrown in once in a while.

Unfortunately I can't really justify the price of Ohlins in the skyline with it seeing so little road time.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got BC ERs in my 34 and I find them to be too firm for the street. Justjap said I could drop the spring rates down to 8/6 from 9/7 without revalving but couldn't guarantee it wouldn't bottom out at the track. Given i will be lucky to track the car 1-2 times in the time I own it and will only be on street tyres, I doubt that will be an issue. For $380 worth of springs, is that worth bothering to try or will the damper just be too firm anyway? Car has to go in for an alignment anyway so there's already labour costs. 

Edited by ActionDan

I've got BC ERs in my 34 and I find them to be too firm for the street. Justjap said I could drop the spring rates down to 8/6 from 9/7 without revalving but couldn't guarantee it wouldn't bottom out at the track. Given i will be lucky to track the car 1-2 times in the time I own it and will only be on street tyres, I doubt that will be an issue. For $380 worth of springs, is that worth bothering to try or will the damper just be too firm anyway? Car has to go in for an alignment anyway so there's already labour costs. 

I ran my BC BR's with 6/5 for a couple of years until going up to the standard 8/6, with no revalving. It's firmer but acceptable for street and better at the track, in my 34 sedan.
The swapping springs part is easy but fiddling with the ride height to get it right takes time. Remember to set the correct preload, too.