SAU Community

Bc Racing Coilovers?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I just put a set of the ER Series in my track R33 GTst...

Only do e a lap of the car park but they feel great so far! Seem to have excellent build quality.

Matt from JustJap was by far one if the best staff members there I have ever dealt with!

Will report back after all my track time in December and January.

Spring rates are 9kg/7kg

We put ERs on our new (to us) R33 GTST a month or so ago - just before the SAU nationals. Have only used it in the SAU hillclimb so far but were very happy with them.

We've got 6 / 8kg springs and it's very firm, so yours will be stiff. Interested to hear how you go on the track with them, we are planning to do a few events at Malalla next year. have you replaced swaybars as well?

OK interesting. The 9/7 springs came on them from factory light that. I did notice on the justjap website that the 8/6 springs were the default... anyway we'll see how the 9/7s go.

Yes I do have whiteline HD swaybars. 24mm upfront and 22mm on the back...both with whiteline HD adjustable swaybar links and lateral locks.

We put ERs on our new (to us) R33 GTST a month or so ago - just before the SAU nationals. Have only used it in the SAU hillclimb so far but were very happy with them.

We've got 6 / 8kg springs and it's very firm, so yours will be stiff. Interested to hear how you go on the track with them, we are planning to do a few events at Malalla next year. have you replaced swaybars as well?

I understand that it's a different car, but they're of similar weight (within 100kg), and the guy in this review said his 12/10kg setup is quite comfortable.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspension-handling-stiffening/168885-bc-racing-er-series-coilover-comprehensive-review.html

How stiff do you think your 8/6kg combo feels?

How stiff - hard to quantify but getting towards uncomfortable on the road. I drove it to Collingrove for the hillclimb - around 80 kms and mostly 100 - 110 kph, and was glad to come home in my 350GT (which is also quite firm). I couldn't do a long trip in it. We did soften the shocks a bit during the event looking for more rear grip.

We bought the ERs from STT, and 8/6 are their stock spring rates. They were slightly cheaper ($50?) than Justjap.

The car still has stock swaybars, and the handling was impressive at Collingrove (once my teeth stopped rattling from the trip up:)..

• 3 weeks later...

I received my BC ER coilovers (12f/10r), installed them and had an alignment last week. I also installed camber arms at the same time to dial in more negative camber as it's mainly a street registered track car.

Have only driven them on the street and a late night mountain run so far, and they are really good. I'm coming from a stock setup, so it's probably not really a fair comparison.

They are 20 from full hard on front and rear atm. They are firm but not bone jarring, and I could easily drive with them like this daily. I also have a fixed back seat which would transfer more shock to me than a stock seat.

Will report back in 2-3 months as I'll have a couple of track days and motorkhanas under my belt with them by then.

Bought them from Garage7. Highly recommend dealing with Evan there as he was extremely helpful and communicative throughout the whole sale as these were custom spring rates he had to request from BC.

• 3 weeks later...

Have the ER series on my daily 33 GTR, also used them at Collingrove Hillclimb for SAU Nats, I'd recommend not putting them to full stiffness for street as I did it just to see how it felt. Lets just say it felt like my stomach my stuck in my chest.

But for daily use still comfortable once set at softer settings, great for hard cornering once you find the sweet spot otherwise you can get some oversteer going.

Had mine for almost a year now no issues at all, would highly recommend over those with the BR series which to me are too soft.

9/7 spring rates also

Just to make it clear, I drove to Collingrove/Mallala from Melbourne for SAU Nats, as well as Sydney for WTAC...gets plenty of testing in all conditions :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I was ready to pull the trigger on a set of BR coilovers, but was talking to suspension shop (WA suspensions) and was recommended to me that I get the ER series instead. I was under the impression that the ER were more track oriented, and that BR series would better suit me (basically only a street car), however the suspension guy said from his experience that the ER series were more adjustable and just generally better quality.

He recommended instead of BC BR, would be better with Japanese manufactured (Kusco, Blitz, Tein).

Reading comments on here, I'm still convinced the BC BR are most suited. But now worried that the suspension guy will think I've gone against his recommendation and don't want to get off on the wrong foot with someone working on my car, especially seeing as I'm looking to get a bunch of other work done at the same time (sway bars, bushes etc).

So. Would you go ahead with the BR series and run the risk of the suspension shop getting annoyed, or pay the bit extra to upgrade to the ER series even though seems overkill for a street application?

Can someone please measure up their bc's for me?

I'm thinking the cartridges may be of use to me to rebuild some coilovers I alread own and are pretty cheap

Just need to know overall length of the cartridge (not really important)

And outer diameter (outside of the threaded section) or (inside diameter of the lock rings)

If this works i'll be super happy

Cheers!

Can someone please measure up their bc's for me?

I'm thinking the cartridges may be of use to me to rebuild some coilovers I alread own and are pretty cheap

Just need to know overall length of the cartridge (not really important)

And outer diameter (outside of the threaded section) or (inside diameter of the lock rings)

If this works i'll be super happy

Cheers!

Sorry mate don't have the full specs but I do know that the shock body length for the rear inserts is 360mm for R34 and 340mm for R33.

Also anyone else reading this thread, I just replaced one of my rear BC BR's (insert only) as it started squeaking after 18,000 kms. I'm running lower spring rates (F:6, R:5) on my R34 sedan, not sure if that was a contributing factor. Otherwise still very happy with the ride quality.

Sorry mate don't have the full specs but I do know that the shock body length for the rear inserts is 360mm for R34 and 340mm for R33.

Also anyone else reading this thread, I just replaced one of my rear BC BR's (insert only) as it started squeaking after 18,000 kms. I'm running lower spring rates (F:6, R:5) on my R34 sedan, not sure if that was a contributing factor. Otherwise still very happy with the ride quality.

Thanks mate, Do you mind disclosing what that cost you? And also who you went through to organise it?

Thanks mate, Do you mind disclosing what that cost you? And also who you went through to organise it?

No worries, it was $179 plus postage from Just Jap. Easy to change too, all original parts bolted straight on.