SAU Community

The Cool Tools Thread

Duncan

Chris, post 55! The first type is the one I have, but it's overkill for wheel nuts, more for engine building. I just picked it up cheap.

For wheel nuts just pick up a spring type one, they reset automatically between use so are more convenient as well as cheaper.

Also post 20 made me lol

Actually torque wrenching wheel nut for me is quite funny,,,I only actually torque Duncan's up to appease him,,,I'm that bloody good I can do them up to 110 newtons with just a breaker bar. Test me one day,,,you will be shocked. Maybe in hindsight I should have tighten his wheels nuts at targa years ago and he wouldn't have lost the left front wheel.

But I digress,,,the 'Snap On" left handed drill/extractor kit is the ducks guts. I pin punched the 1st bolt and started drilling,,,it came out before ever breaking the surface. The 2nd bolt took a little longer and no need for the extractor. This is indeed a cool tool.

post-29-1290675987_thumb.jpg

post-29-1290676001_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

been doing alot of wiring lately so these 3 new tools have been the ultimate in making it go fast and neat.

left : Narva non insulated connector crimpers

centre: Kincrome insulated wire crimpers

right : kincrome automatic wire strippers

worth their weight in gold

post-5157-1290830439_thumb.jpg

Summer is now upon us and working in stinking heat sucks,,,so this year I'm going to forsake this joke and buy an air-cond unit for the garage.

post-29-1291369217_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

Lots of tool sales on yesterday.

Picked up myself a 3 piece Irwin Vice Grip set, 5 piece Irwin Pliers set, Stanley FatMax saw and a Toolex 8 piece T-Handle Hex kit. No idea if I need any of them but the prices were too good to knock back.

Was considering a Cordless Impact Wrench but couldn't decide between the Dewalt or Hitachi and can get them off Ebay for the same price any day of the week so walked out with none ;)

It's a real shame that no one imports Craftsman tools here in Oz. Craftsman is Sears & Robuck brand in the US. They've always made good quality spanners and sockets at really competitive rates. I've still got a lot of my sets from when I lived in the states 10 years ago. When I go back next year I plan to bring back a fair bit.

Just noticed Bunnings has some craftsman tools on the shelf now, and of course they can special order anything from a brand they carry, and will price match as well. Oh, and for legal reasons I should disclose that I may work at Bunnings haha :thanks:

[Edit]

I should add that this is what we had on the shelf - These deserve a mention in the cool tools thread; ratcheting elbow spanners - Would be great to undo bolts where you have no room to swing a spanner, or even a ratcheting spanner. The elbow allows you to undo bolts by pushing and pulling the spanner; genius idea.

The Image is here http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=500&uid=1609186795 - Image tags won't work for me on this fancy newlook forum

• 2 weeks later...

Arthur did you break any glass removing it? my last attempt was 2 broken from 6 so I never tried again. cheaper to get a windscreen bloke out to do it :(

Picked up one of these at supercheap today because no decent shop was open. $120 and looks pretty good surprisingly.

engine-stand.jpg

Arthur did you break any glass removing it? my last attempt was 2 broken from 6 so I never tried again. cheaper to get a windscreen bloke out to do it :(

I've only done one and i didnt break it..

It does take some patience to make sure you have cut all the goo away before you start pushing on the screen..

But the tool only cost me 35$ from a windscreen warehouse. Its a pretty basic tool, you could probably make one easy enough..

I got the grinder onto the blade to make sure it was real sharp and you have to keep cleaning the goo off it..

Actually torque wrenching wheel nut for me is quite funny,,,I only actually torque Duncan's up to appease him,,,I'm that bloody good I can do them up to 110 newtons with just a breaker bar. Test me one day,,,you will be shocked. Maybe in hindsight I should have tighten his wheels nuts at targa years ago and he wouldn't have lost the left front wheel.

Cheers

Neil.

oh lawd!

• 3 weeks later...

Rofl,,,you stick to the scissors mate,,,I'm over cutting radiator hoses and the like with them. I'm into nice and neat hoses. My old adage is "If you can't go quick look good".

Moving on,,,heres 2 of my 1/4 drive sockets sets.

post-29-1278415762_thumb.jpg

This one is one I bought,,,it's a Kokon set ,,,Japanese brand,,,not rubbish which I'm liking. If I had the money I would buy all their products.

post-29-1278415778_thumb.jpg

This one is Kinchrome which was nicely donated to me by Duncan,,,still not quite sure why,,,maybe all my losed blood over the years. It's a great set as well being AF and Metric which suits me.

Cheers

Neil.

Where did you get that koken socket set out of interest? I have heard good things about them here and there, but can't find where to buy them

• 2 weeks later...

Love this thread... been meaning to put something up.

Changed my brake rotors, brake lines, brake fluid a few weeks ago... these came in handy.

$10 - bleeder kit.

And I was a few jack stands short so a few bricks took care of that.

post-74159-0-68551700-1296692730_thumb.jpg

post-74159-0-69892500-1296692740_thumb.jpg