SAU Community

The Cool Tools Thread

Duncan

^^^ +1

I've had these since I used to build big diesel engines years ago; had to lock wire every damn bolt & nut.:blink:

Great tool to have.

Edited by Daleo

• 7 months later...

should be fine Adam - as long as you have the air pressure for it

there is a tool out there, but i cant find the name - its has a 3/4 inch fitting for a socket with a small arm attached to a swivelling long arm

you hit the long arm with it setup like an L so the down force from the hammer blow cracks the nut.

if i find it i'll post up

this, is an abw power bar.

dont have pics, but i do own one.

and it has a 1/2inch drive for impact sockets.

absolutely phenomenal for harmonic balancer bolts, and not taking radiator out.

unfortunately last i heard, they no longer make them.

dont know if this is true though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

nope Chris, they don't stock power bar any more, checked a couple of months back. Wouldn't mind getting hold of one if someone knows where to find them

Zeb, they look good, I saw something similar from snapon. The socket can be turned by a ratchet spanner (or socket, or ratchet) which gives you lots of options for clearance in tight spaces

nope Chris, they don't stock power bar any more, checked a couple of months back. Wouldn't mind getting hold of one if someone knows where to find them

power bars are now done by sp tools.

150 at the moment.

repco are 1 if many suppliers, so should be able to get one there.

no need for that, i made my own 'tool' to do it a few years ago.

you put a bolt in one of the engine to gearbox bolt holes then you stick the fork on the bolt then jam the pointy end in the flywheel and then remove flywheel bolts. :)

post-83669-0-71804100-1344809620_thumb.png

Zebra, I've still got my Craftsman tools I brought with me from the states (moved here 12 years ago). They are really good quality tools and REALLY cheap by comparison to Aus prices on tools.

Interesting how the "notches" in the socket are set up. Must capture the tips of the hex head between the two radius ridges.

Found these in a bag when I was working out in the garage. I totally forgot I bought them. Neat little thumb 1/4" ratchet drivers for hex tips. Comes with a hex to 1/4" adapter too for 1/4" sockets.

Also, since I've been making so many trips to Bunnings I picked up a 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 combo stubby ratchet. Is a cheapy (Craftright - who's heard of that name) but does 3/8 out one end and 1/4 stacked on top of 1/2 out the other. I needed a stubby 1/4 & 3/8 to throw in the toolbox. Good all rounder.

41rAMMcvX2L.jpg

not sure if this falls under the ''cool tools'' category but in case anyone is interested auto one and supercheap are doing pretty good discounts on kincrome and stanley gear for their father's day sales

auto one - decent kincrome prices

http://www.autoone.com.au/catalogue.aspx

supercheap - sca/stanley/some kincrome - good deal here was the Stanley roller cabinet with 132 tools on pg. 1

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/catalogue-nsw.aspx

feel free to flame that these aren't top tools but hopefully they are of use to someone

Ok, who's had to resort to making their own tool to get a job done? Come on, bring out the coat hangers, extra bolts and washers, zip ties (maybe that's cheating) and electrical tape. When you have to get a job done, you've got to get it done, right?

So I had a recent episode that took me three days to get the harmonic balancer off the GTR. My home grown tool ended up doing the trick (with a bit of welding on the balancer though).

Vimeo doesn't like to embed so have to click the link - but I documented some of the eventful portions of this epic tool build.

Watch the "Movie" here:

photo1.JPG

• Like 1

That was AWESOME !!! The tool is cool but the video is Brilliant.

Not to mention the tools you've got to make the tool in the first place.

Wow.

And here I am resorting to smashing the guts out of my cat converter with a tomato stake and a hammer.

Well Done !

Hey Chris, We just were at Bunnings in Artarmon and they had a Kinchrome tool chest that was about 2 m high by 3 wide with an inbuilt car audio system and wait for it...

.. a mini Bar fridge in the lower compartment! All it needed was a keg tap out of one of the drawers and it would have been perfect! Nice way to spend $2.4k though.

Ok, who's had to resort to making their own tool to get a job done? Come on, bring out the coat hangers, extra bolts and washers, zip ties (maybe that's cheating) and electrical tape. When you have to get a job done, you've got to get it done, right?

So I had a recent episode that took me three days to get the harmonic balancer off the GTR. My home grown tool ended up doing the trick (with a bit of welding on the balancer though).

Vimeo doesn't like to embed so have to click the link - but I documented some of the eventful portions of this epic tool

Great job man!

That thing was seriously stuck, the super cheap puller I use wouldn't have stood a chance

haha that perked the thread up....I've always called those "special service tools" after the helpful entries in the nissan workshop manuals....but yours is more of a "super special tool"

eg, use Special Service Toll #42 to remove the harmonic balancer. Any time the manual says that you know you are going to need to be creative...

Also, I picked up the power bar from Auto One Hornsby the other day, on special for $149.