SAU Community

The Cool Tools Thread

Duncan

So, I've always had a personal dislike for cordless tools. Why? Becuase you end up getting duplicates of all your tools and the batteries only ever last a few years. I have power tools that are 12 years old and only because I had to go 240v when I moved to AUS!

I Love this idea! God I hope that Black & Decker releases it here!

http://blackanddecke...ar-tool-system/

original.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, in the market for a Torque wrench for a birthday. What are peoples experiences- whats a hit and whats shit?

Don't need anything industrial - just home mechanic kind of stuff.

I must say my Abw torx bit set has got me out of a heap of trouble lately. Stubborn Allen key bolts are made easy. Stripped Allen key bolt heads made easy and snapped bolt removal made easy. Well worth the money. Also my 24mm ratchet spanner.

got links Brad?

Alex I've got a W&B beam type wrench as well, have had it for years and checked it twice, both times it has still been good - I think the design is more accurate than the more common spring type ones.

On the downside it is harder to use quickly than the spring/clicky type, eg for wheel nuts, you need to reset it with the pin each time.

Also, it only works clockwise so you can't use it on reverse threads (eg centre lock wheel nuts).

There are lots of digitial you beaut ones out there now, not sure if they are any good or not? I can't see how they would stay more accurate over time if they are still spring based

Ok, who's had to resort to making their own tool to get a job done?

Watch the "Movie" here: https://vimeo.com/48171832

that was awesome, Eric :) not just the ingenious tool and machine work that went into it but the quality of the vid!

I must admit, when I saw the welder spark up I thought at first you were using an oxy to cut the bastard off or something :rofl2:

I must say my Abw torx bit set has got me out of a heap of trouble lately. Stubborn Allen key bolts are made easy. Stripped Allen key bolt heads made easy and snapped bolt removal made easy. Well worth the money. Also my 24mm ratchet spanner.

I got mine from our tool guy that drives around.

http://www.norwesttools.com.au/page/shop/flypage/product_id/30266/a/category/e/automotiveservicetools_fastening

that was awesome, Eric :) not just the ingenious tool and machine work that went into it but the quality of the vid!

I must admit, when I saw the welder spark up I thought at first you were using an oxy to cut the bastard off or something :rofl2:

Thanks. The saga continues. Aggro and I battled it all day and well into the night on Sat, but motor is finally "hanging" in the engine bay and pump is off. Gears look in great shape which is terrific peace of mind, but now have to decide if I should roll some new ones in or not.

I'm looking for a rechargeable impact wrench - mostly for wheel nuts as i already have a highish torque air powered torque wrench. I'm thinking of this one, but DeWalt is probably overkill for my needs - but its a good price for quality - $359 with two batteries and charger. Any other suggestions? Spending a bit less is always good.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DEWALT-18v-Cordless-H-Duty-1-2-Drive-Impact-Wrench-Combo-Kit-3Yr-AusWide-Wrnty-/290683597207?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item43ae17b197

The spring type torque wrenches will hold their calibration well, as long as they are not left in a set position for a long time, if you are not using it, the tension should be taken off of the spring, if you need a torque wrench that will be used for one tension only, then a beam type is more practical, as long as they do not get over torqued and deformed.

I have a Kincrome rechargeable impact wrench, a bit on the expensive side if you buy retail, but so far hasn't let me down, and works well on the center locks for the Speads.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another bit of kit I picked up at Hare & Forbes (Machineryhouse).

579290_500725216619398_1812684049_n.jpg

Oh and their showroom floor is better than santa's workshop! If you haven't been there and live around Sydney it's worth a wander. But leave the credit card at home or else risk walking out with a full size stand up mill!

318815_501114013247185_1101664221_n.jpg

374066_501113943247192_508669630_n.jpg

404625_501113813247205_1866963711_n.jpg