SAU Community

The Cool Tools Thread

Duncan

Anyone know where to buy a brake calliper piston compression tool? The ones they use on Group A cars at Bathurst in the 90's with the long handles, or where they all home made things. Not sure if curret V8 super cars still use them im sure they do.

Will make one if I can’t find them for sale but this is one for sale in the US but not the type I wanted.

post-36356-1288388684_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's a real shame that no one imports Craftsman tools here in Oz. Craftsman is Sears & Robuck brand in the US. They've always made good quality spanners and sockets at really competitive rates. I've still got a lot of my sets from when I lived in the states 10 years ago. When I go back next year I plan to bring back a fair bit.

Well Mr Eric, I'm meant to be headed for the states next year, so maybe we can setup an SAU group buy and ship it back?

Anyone know where to buy a brake calliper piston compression tool? The ones they use on Group A cars at Bathurst in the 90's with the long handles, or where they all home made things. Not sure if curret V8 super cars still use them im sure they do.

Will make one if I can’t find them for sale but this is one for sale in the US but not the type I wanted.

Brian,,,I searched some years ago and found nothing. Thinking you may have to just make your own mate. I was always going to make one out of used pads and some tube but I never got around to it.

I got my Hare and Forbes annual 3 day sale catalogue in the mail yesterday,,,if anybody wants tools and stuff check them out. Runs Thursday 11th till Saturday 13th of November till 4.00pm on the saturday.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/index.php

Cheers

Neil.

Go to SuperCheap Auto and buy there $40 "gripwell vice". Cut the jaws down to size with a hacksaw so they fit inside your calipers (had to cut about 10mm off each side from memory) if you are using the factory 4 spot calipers and simply turn the handle in reverse (instead of tight to hold a piece of steel you open the jaws up so they push the brake pistons back into the calipers). This worked perfectly every single time I used it and it pushes all pistons back together at an even rate/pressure.

I'd take a pic of the 1 I modified but I threw it out when I sold my gtr's.

Go to SuperCheap Auto and buy there $40 "gripwell vice". Cut the jaws down to size with a hacksaw so they fit inside your calipers (had to cut about 10mm off each side from memory) if you are using the factory 4 spot calipers and simply turn the handle in reverse (instead of tight to hold a piece of steel you open the jaws up so they push the brake pistons back into the calipers). This worked perfectly every single time I used it and it pushes all pistons back together at an even rate/pressure.

I'd take a pic of the 1 I modified but I threw it out when I sold my gtr's.

Ben,,,you talking about welding type vice grips with the two flts sides,,,thats a great idea,,,never thought of that. Usually I would just use an old pad and squeeze the pistons back using a big screwdriver or something similar.

But I think Brian is as usual up to no good. He's after this...

or

Cheers

Neil.

No an actual vice, like a bench vice.

Do a search on the supercheap website for gripwell vice to see what I mean as they are a variant of a bench vice so are lighter to hold. You turn it upside down and slide the jaws inbetween the piston/caliper and the rotor (as if you were clamping down on the rotor) but instead of winding the vice handle tight on the rotor reverse the handle and it will open the vice jaws hence pushing the pistons back.

Brian,,,I searched some years ago and found nothing. Thinking you may have to just make your own mate. I was always going to make one out of used pads and some tube but I never got around to it.

I got my Hare and Forbes annual 3 day sale catalogue in the mail yesterday,,,if anybody wants tools and stuff check them out. Runs Thursday 11th till Saturday 13th of November till 4.00pm on the saturday.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/index.php

Cheers

Neil.

Looks like I will be making one soon, you will see it next year when I’m playing in the pits Neil.

Funny you mention Hare and Forbs was their other day eyeing of this, was going to go pick one up next week!

3-in-1 Pressbrake, Guillotine & Rolls, 1 Meter long version

post-36356-1288782906_thumb.jpg

Looks like I will be making one soon, you will see it next year when I’m playing in the pits Neil.

Funny you mention Hare and Forbs was their other day eyeing of this, was going to go pick one up next week!

3-in-1 Pressbrake, Guillotine & Rolls, 1 Meter long version

Wish I had the space for one of those,,,you bastard.

Nobody has posted the most obvious tool,,,the not so humble floor jack. What do you do,,,buy a mega heavy,,,long lasting steel one and drag the bastard of a thing everywhere or buy like I did the Chinese aluminium light-weight crap. I went for the 2 piston/chamber what ever you call it one. It's okay but a very un-trust worthy thing. Or drop your wallet and buy the high quality yanky light-weight one for well over a grand.

post-29-1289293859_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

Had 3 of those, all broken junk (actually still have the third 1 in my garage leaking oil everywhere that is free to a good home if someone wants to buy another seal kit for it) bought myself a quality Armstrong jack instead, longer lower and reliable!

Here's some cool stuff that arrived in the mail the other. Gotta love the exchange rate at the moment :(

post-40368-1289376900_thumb.jpg

Inherited these cir-clip pliers and stethoscope off the old man (don't think he's noticed yet)

post-40368-1289376911_thumb.jpg

post-40368-1289376920_thumb.jpg

Go to ebay.com and search for makita 18 volt.

There's a few sales going on at the moment over there so stuff is extra cheap.

Apparently the pack I got has a RRP of about $3700. I got it shipped to my door for $2000 and that was with a 95 cent exchange rate.

Got some 2000cc drop in injectors shipped to me for $750 as well.

Want to fix your stuffed up brake or clutch pipe or make a new one,,,this is the baby you need.

post-29-1289909896_thumb.jpg

post-29-1289910042_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

Let me know how you find it Neil...

I tried to use on for a few hours... I then yelled and screamed for a bit, and now have a big mess of an ugly pipe that I managed to flare myself... Next time I've going braided hose!!!

Let me know how you find it Neil...

I tried to use one for a few hours... I then yelled and screamed for a bit, and now have a big mess of an ugly pipe that I managed to flare myself... Next time I've going braided hose!!!

Yea I know what your saying,,,while it sounds and looks easy,,,theres a bit of practice and tech involved.

So these will be of no use to you for brakes,,,just fuel hoses while changing filters and diagnoses.

post-29-1290074221_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

Yea I know what your saying,,,while it sounds and looks easy,,,theres a bit of practice and tech involved.

So these will be of no use to you for brakes,,,just fuel hoses while changing filters and diagnoses.

post-29-1290074221_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

Yeah, if I didn't run out of patience I think I would have gotten it right... After a few days... LOL Problem was I was running out of pipe!

I do have one line made with that though, I had it done by the guy I bought the pipe off actually, walked in went "I need it this long, I've measured it, but I can't use your tool" and he did the first one straight away, the second one took two attempts... And he uses it daily!

But yeah, he was nice enough to loan it to me... Or smart enough, in the hope I'd destroy a whole length of hose and go and buy a new length off him... LOL

Yeah, if I didn't run out of patience I think I would have gotten it right... After a few days... LOL Problem was I was running out of pipe!

I do have one line made with that though, I had it done by the guy I bought the pipe off actually, walked in went "I need it this long, I've measured it, but I can't use your tool" and he did the first one straight away, the second one took two attempts... And he uses it daily!

But yeah, he was nice enough to loan it to me... Or smart enough, in the hope I'd destroy a whole length of hose and go and buy a new length off him... LOL

I was lucky enough to get steel pipes from work and practiced on them,,,pain in the arse. Half the trouble is using steel,,,copper is much easier to work with.

Heres another tool kit I bought some years ago but haven't actually used yet. Now I wouldn't usually buy snap-on but after watching Nathan from "Grey Imports" remove some of my broken exhaust manifold studs I was sold. I didn't know you could buy left hand drills!!!. So tomorrow night I'm going to see if I can remove my ignition barrels shear bolts.

post-29-1290418754_thumb.jpgpost-29-1290418703_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil