SAU Community

The Cool Tools Thread

Duncan

Circlip pliers are always something you need. Again after years of buying cheap crap I finally bought these.

These have interchangable tips of which you can buy replacements,,,the tips I got are straight,,,45 degree,,,90 degree and two or three I've forgotten.

KD Tools out of the US of A make them.

post-29-1284379686_thumb.jpg

The 2 screws at the front retain the tips and you screw the Red handle either way to squeeze the clip smaller or expand the clip bigger.

Best Circlip Pliers ever.

Cheers

Neil.

Whilst not a tool, it is the next best thing.....

I only intended on buying a regular 7 drawer tool trolley but I liked how deep the drawers were in this 1 so it was perfect for my drill, grinder, etc and the ball bearing slides and locking mechanisms feel good.

post-1296-1281168430_thumb.jpg

where and how much Ben ?

Still not a tool,,,but interesting,,,but they are in a way. Changing fuel filters is a good thing.

After having leaking Jerry cans I bought these Jaz fuel containers. Yes I know they say "Water" but for some reason the yanks got it wrong.

post-29-1284981650_thumb.jpg

Filled up 2 of these on the way down to Wakie and this is what was left in the bottom of one after the days fun.

Every bit that is not white IS grud.

post-29-1284982416_thumb.jpg

Neil.

I've decided I need a rolling tool Cabinet like Ben has posted.

I want one that is like, desk height at max, as I like how I used my Air Compressor Box as a "bench" for tools while I stripped down one of my spare motors.

I think that will be my next tool purchase (Or a torque wrench)

Been waiting for a chance to post these up :ninja:

this is a cool thread to guys well done, you may send me broke yet!

welding rods, gotta love em

price was right (mate pinched em from work)

used em to build my bench's and did the trick nicely

(you will have to open the pic i am afraid to get the joke)

post-33041-1285045580_thumb.jpg post-33041-1285045596_thumb.jpg

Been waiting for a chance to post these up :)

Didn't know nissan made welding rods let alone engine specific ones,,,.

Welders are such a great invention, I started with stick,progressed to oxy and now mig. I did a tafe course years ago and while I was only there to learn welding in practice,,,no way was I interested in welding as a profession I topped the class in practical,,,the teach gave me a leason in plastic welding after hours. Cool shit.

I bought this mig off ,,,yes old mate Mark of Medalist fame.

post-29-1285242274_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

Been waiting for a chance to post these up :rofl:

Did you put your bench together out of spun bearings and munched ring landings?

Bought these shock absorber adjusting C-Spanners from ebay-uk,,,cost me about $20.00 bucks landed. I thought they were going to be cheap thin crap but turns out they are way better than I expected.

post-29-1285331074_thumb.jpg

Thought I would post some pics of the radiator bleed funnel kit (Lisle 24610) in action on my GTS-T after installing a new radiator. It has been said to me that using the factory bleed screw is all you need,,but after bleeding my system using the bleed screw and then using the funnel kit I got tons more bubbles out and I could rev the engine which helped big time getting all the air out,,,which you cannot really do with just using the bleed screw.

Sorry but all 4 now have good homes.

post-29-1285331573_thumb.jpg

post-29-1285331743_thumb.jpg

post-29-1285331841_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

• 3 weeks later...

Bigger,,,wider wheels needs more room,,,what better way to get room than rolling your guards. Most would pay somone,,,stuff that,,,i'm up for the challenge.

Bought this,,,

post-29-1287057794_thumb.jpg

post-29-1287057815_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

While I think those tool chests are very cool,,,they come full so theres bugger all room for expansion. A couple of other points need to be understood also,,,buying quality tools should basically last you a life time so spend wisely,,,those cute foam bits will not,,nor will the plastic ones. Tools break through abuse,,,shit I break them from time to time,,,thats just a fact of life and life time warranties while they sound great are not always backed up like you think.

Personally I would pick a quality brand such as kinchrome (not sidchrome) buy a tool cabinet that suits you and add the tools as you want. You can alway expand with more cabinet add ons as you go.

Hers's my current garage tool boxes,,,nothing special and no way big enough but I get a lot more tools in them than a bought tool chest.

post-29-1278592656_thumb.jpg

Cheers

neil.

why dont you like sidchrome? i just got my tools for your trade money as im an apprentice sparky and bought a massive sidchrome set with 2 chests included (non of it my money though hah). was that a bad choice? picked it all up for 700 bucks usually 1400 but tool companys have special deals for apprentices.

why dont you like sidchrome? i just got my tools for your trade money as im an apprentice sparky and bought a massive sidchrome set with 2 chests included (non of it my money though hah). was that a bad choice? picked it all up for 700 bucks usually 1400 but tool companys have special deals for apprentices.

Sidchrome trade on a reputation built many years ago, a reputation that was backed by quality tools. The quality of Sidchrome is not what it used to be, but you still pay a premium for the name. There are better quality tools available for the same spend; Kinchrome is one of them, JBS is also another. Not a bad choice, but there are always better deals to be had.

My advice; since you are an apprentice, when you work with good tradies, look at what they use, and follow their lead. Quality tools will be with you for life, shite ones will be in the bin.

Sidchrome trade on a reputation built many years ago, a reputation that was backed by quality tools. The quality of Sidchrome is not what it used to be, but you still pay a premium for the name. There are better quality tools available for the same spend; Kinchrome is one of them, JBS is also another. Not a bad choice, but there are always better deals to be had.

My advice; since you are an apprentice, when you work with good tradies, look at what they use, and follow their lead. Quality tools will be with you for life, shite ones will be in the bin.

I asked my tradies and they said kinchrome is owned by sidchrome and they all own sidchrome tools. What was Neil saying about sidchrome waranty beingshit??

I asked my tradies and they said kinchrome is owned by sidchrome and they all own sidchrome tools. What was Neil saying about sidchrome waranty being shit??

What I was saying is that I own original sidchrome and since the change of hands they will no longer warrant my tools. Pack of Arseholes.

I didn't know kinchrome and sidchrome were made by the same company,,,but what I will say is kinchrome is better quality.

Sparkies don't use spanner and socket type tools anywhere as much as mechanics,,, so your sidchromes will be fine mate. But I'll bet in years to come the only sidchrome you will use will be the tool chests.

Isn't the apprentice tool system cool,,,you get tools for basically nothing.

Cheers

Neil.

What I was saying is that I own original sidchrome and since the change of hands they will no longer warrant my tools. Pack of Arseholes.

I didn't know kinchrome and sidchrome were made by the same company,,,but what I will say is kinchrome is better quality.

Sparkies don't use spanner and socket type tools anywhere as much as mechanics,,, so your sidchromes will be fine mate. But I'll bet in years to come the only sidchrome you will use will be the tool chests.

Isn't the apprentice tool system cool,,,you get tools for basically nothing.

Cheers

Neil.

I've not heard that, they certainly don't look the same, all my Kinchrome are satin finish, whereas Sidchrome is all polished finish, so I doubt they're made in the same factory. That, and I quite like the Kinchrome screwdrivers, with the rubber grips & shotpeened tips, mine get a hiding, nearly 10 years down the track, they're like new.

I think it's great that apprentices get the "Tools For Trade" allowance, I remember being constantly broke from buying tools. And beer...

Is anyone a mechanic or works in an automotive store that can shed light on what are the best brands for sockets and spanners that are of a trade quality?

I know snap on is one of the best, but you need drug money to buy it. Repco are good and warranty is easy to get. Kinchrome are ok and the you have SP racing tools.

My tools so far are a mix of Kinchrome and SP racing tools. I was told by a rep ( probably full of Shit) that SP racing tools come out of the same factory as snap on? The design is near on the same.

Anyone know for sure?

Cheers

Rob

All of the mechanics I know all say the words "Steer clear of Snap On" when buying tools these days.

They used to be great, they really did, these days, they're rubbish.

My fathers business was originally buying snap on gear (About 9 years ago now) for these special allen key pieces that go on a breaking bar, they were listed as "Unbreakable, with a lifetime guarantee". We used to send them back every month for replacement.

In the end, brand name change (KingChrome), haven't broken one since.

I have "repco" tools personally myself, they have a lifetime guarantee, and I'm about to send back my ratchet, and my extension... The extension is bending, the ratchet has gone "floppy" and no longer sits at 90 degrees.