SAU Community

Paul's R32 Gtr Track Build

paulR32gtr

What a fantastic build! I'm loving your attention to detail :-). I'm doing a 32gtr build myself. I'm wondering what oil pump you are using in the engine build? Cheers

No no no mate. See what you're supposed to do is tell Paul it looks rubbish. Then he'll get bored of the car and sell it to me for dirt cheap.

Ok thanks, that's the only issue I'm finding with that pump... I was thinking maybe the nitto as they don't flow as hard.

Best of luck with the build buddy. Keep up the quality you are putting into this Gtr and it will be one of the best rolling around :-). Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Brackets for the brake calipers were finished late last week, hats were not ready last week so used my existing hats / rotors / pads and they work extremely well.

Car had it's first outing on the weekend and its an absolute ball to drive. Unfortunately about half way through the day one of the factory hoses underneath the plenum popped - have put it down to the higher pressure radiator cap I have been running, and the fact it has probably dried out after sitting around without coolant for several years.

Got this shot of the hats today - have come up very nicely - just getting them anodised black before they go into use.

IMG_1835_zpsa84550f0.jpg

No video system in yet, but a few grabs from Belsil80's camera in here - exhaust is doing its job while keeping noise down.

• Like 1

Brackets for the brake calipers were finished late last week, hats were not ready last week so used my existing hats / rotors / pads and they work extremely well.

Car had it's first outing on the weekend and its an absolute ball to drive. Unfortunately about half way through the day one of the factory hoses underneath the plenum popped - have put it down to the higher pressure radiator cap I have been running, and the fact it has probably dried out after sitting around without coolant for several years.

Got this shot of the hats today - have come up very nicely - just getting them anodised black before they go into use.

IMG_1835_zpsa84550f0.jpg

No video system in yet, but a few grabs from Belsil80's camera in here - exhaust is doing its job while keeping noise down.

no disrespect Paul, but I could not help but be disappointed after watching that video......................................I see / hear your car for split second man and then its some random drifting for the remainder of the video............

I want a full blown vid entirely dedicated to your beast :yes:

no disrespect Paul, but I could not help but be disappointed after watching that video......................................I see / hear your car for split second man and then its some random drifting for the remainder of the video............

I want a full blown vid entirely dedicated to your beast :yes:

Ha yeah I know me too - I am hassling my mate for a vid taken of a full run with the go pro on the side... stay tuned!

I am putting an integrated twin camera + GPS + lap split system in but its not cheap so couldn't get it in before the first event.

• Like 1

I forgot it was only an 80% familiarity run that we recorded. So not flat out and was mapping out brakes, handling and getting used to the 5 speed ratios again. Looking towards a track day soon.

In the 100% runs it was happily hanging its arse out and holding a nice slide through the first basketball court bit. It turns in really nicely I am impressed.

The weight difference is what really grabs me, it feels light and nimble compared to my 34.

Yeah I would be lying if I said I don't want side pipes shooting flames and popping ear drums within 50m, but reality is this exhaust flows like a mofo and won't get me kicked out of track days or yelled at for starting it up to get it off the trailer in the morning.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sandown this Sunday coming so have been getting the car ready for first track outing.

Picked up a vbox lite cam / gps logging system - not the best value for money system particularly given it is not high definition, but it makes life very easy to turn up, slot in a memory card and get on the track. Also does pic-in-pic with second cam, GPS & CAN bus logging / data overlay with the video. Software also makes it easy to compare laps with previous outings etc

Install is a bit temporary at the moment, going to tidy things up and get a switch panel going for a few bits I want control over.

37C0059F-962F-4D89-9770-C30AE16B6ECF-343

GPS antenna - have since moved this across to the middle.

73FB81A4-5943-47CC-87E9-D923D617B1C9-343

45AD8816-1120-44ED-93D2-DFACAA286DD2-343

480EA1B9-1C73-44F3-8077-C78D00BA6D7C-343

The little OLED screen hooks in with the vbox and can give speed, lap time, predictive lap time, split data readout. Looking forward to having a play.

IMG_1879_zps03806942.jpg

Sub Boy32, on 11 Oct 2013 - 20:52, said:

Looking awesome! Any reason why you have the GPS antenna on the outside? They will fire through glass without any reduction in signal

The installation guide recommends centre of the rood for the most reliable satellite lock. It says it uses the roof as a ground plane to block unwanted ground reflections.

Did a fair bit of driving around today and GPS didn't drop out once, so its working well.

First track shake down all ok - car held together nicely.

Unfortunately conditions were far from ideal with pretty consistent rain and oil spills. This equated to cars going off in pretty much every session which made for a slow frustrating day.

Our group just missed the 1.5 hour window where the sun came out and the track dried out so wasn't able to get a good feel for the car, get the pace up and put in any respectable times. Looking forward to getting out in the dry - did a quick scan for track days this week because the itch hasn't been scratched.

Temps were all great ~85-90c water and ~100-110 oil, with the oil cooler in the radiator I just need to keep the car running after sessions as the oil dumps all its heat into the water. Will put in an override for the fan so I can idle it with the fan on to get the heat out.

Final session, started pissing down as we were lining up to go out. I think it stopped raining a little part way through this session.

• Like 1