SAU Community

Paul's R32 Gtr Track Build

paulR32gtr

x3, how about concrete walls?

HPI braided clutch line arrived. Comes with the banjo bolt for the master cylinder end, 4 x copper washers and some cable ties.

IMG_0836_zps7377cd46.jpg

Bolted on to master cyl.

IMG_0837_zpsb4397bde.jpg

Sure enough I had the bolts for the slave in the starter so swapped those over and installed. Just simplifies things down a little in this area.

IMG_0846_zpsa93c4bd1.jpg

Shows how the battery cable is routed into the bay, around behind the steering and secured at a few points along the rail.

IMG_0847_zps9456d256.jpg

IMG_0838_zps14ee8512.jpg

Before shot of the thermo - was 4/5mm off the balancer. Probably would have been alright but have sorted some spacers at the bottom to prop it up a bit higher. All sits nicely once bolted up.

IMG_0844_zps17d11289.jpg

Engine bay coming along. Bolted up the power steering pump as well, need a slightly shorter belt for the alternator and water pump so sourcing that this week.

IMG_0841_zps6b157717.jpg

Got my hands on new belt that fits the ATI balancer, pulley and alternator and got all the belts tensioned up. Now that the radiator can stay put I made up the oil cooler lines and put the sandwich block on.

IMG_0852_zpse8e2ded1.jpg

IMG_0854_zps24c2f205.jpg

IMG_0865_zpsf87342e2.jpg

IMG_0866_zps9744a796.jpg

Pretty close to the power steering pump lines so going to see if I can swing them around or make up new lines to make a bit more space.

IMG_0856_zps8d814784.jpg

Radiator spaced up now plenty of space between the thermo and the balancer.

IMG_0859_zps0ae5d8d2.jpg

Also finished off the fuel lines, replaced a few that had split, accelerator cable hooked up.

IMG_0862_zpsc00fc8f4.jpg

Just finished reading your build thread mate and wished I read this earlier.

Really ace stuff Paul. So much time and effort has been given. I respect the dedication and love :wub: you have for this.

Good to see that you still went ahead with project despite thinking of pulling out. But I can completely understand this as any project like this require lots of $$$$$$ and time.

Would love to see this through.

Keep it up.

BTW, your engine covers reminds of the mines engine covers - VHT wrinkle paint looks awesome :thumbsup:

Subscribed!

Edited by Ants

• 3 weeks later...

HPI clutch is the go! Have now opted for one of these over the Nismo item

All coming together nicely Paul, tidy work. What size SPAL thermo did you run with? It come with mounts?

Nice yeah was good not having to put that mess back on. The thermo is 16 blade skewed, not sure of exact dimensions though, PWR organised it including how it mounts to the radiator.

Going to try and get stuck into some more over the next few weeks, have been o/s and now catching up on work but getting there.

• 3 weeks later...

Got some time to spend on the car on Saturday.

The filthy power steering pump has been bothering me, and the factory high pressure line looks like it would interfere with the oil cooler line once the engine is moving.

So pulled it off and gave it a clean.

IMG_0968_zpsa2c4eb89.jpg

IMG_0971_zpsd5015849.jpg

Also cut down the retaining bracket and gave it a bit of paint.

IMG_0974_zpsc701e30b.jpg

I then ripped all this gear out including the front factory cooling loop.

IMG_0977_zps38fe99ab.jpg

And set about replacing it with this. Seeing the entire rear HICAS has been removed including all lines, and then this stuff I figured I better put a cooling core in.

The rear stage of the pump will be used to pump the low pressure fluid through the core and back to the reservoir, this will hopefully stop the fluid from boiling out the top of the reservoir.

IMG_0980_zpsa1bb3867.jpg

IMG_0982_zpscd81f076.jpg

Started making up the lines.

IMG_0983_zpsf18a2096.jpg

And back on.

IMG_0985_zps51eec781.jpg

Made up a mount for the core with some right angle alloy strips, need to hit it with some black paint.

IMG_0987_zps833440f1.jpg

Beautiful work yet again Paul, how close are you getting to turn now?

What are you thoughts on the need for a cooler for the power steer, only really required if doing extended targa/racing events..?

Not too far. I have completed most of the wiring as well, ECU is in etc. Just waiting on a few bits that should be here today so I can continue assembly.

I still need to decide on a 3.5" exhaust, and also need my 34 back so I can test fit the airbox and see if it is going to work. Planning on getting stuck in over the coming weeks so I reckon probably another month or so - also dependent on when Race pace can fit me in to set up the ECU, turn the key and tune.

As I understand it with the rear HICAS removed and the lines that run up and back this takes a lot of the cooling capacity out of the system. I remember Sydneykid saying they put cores on their 32 race cars because the fluid got quite hot on the track, he said the standard loop plumbed in as I had it was fine for the street. I know with my 34 it tends to heat up and overflow out the reservoir a bit on the track, you can chuck a sock around it but I thought I would have a play around with a cooler and see how it went.

hey Paul,

looks like the build is progressing really nicely. You must be getting anxious to get it out for a shakedown one day in the near future??

This build must be close to one of the best on this forum to my eye. It makes me wish I had have been less impatient with mine and done a full strip and build over a longer time......... alas regrets.....

How long to you get it to racepace?

Good luck with the whats left. :no:

How long to you get it to racepace?

Good luck with the whats left. :no:

Hi Evan, cheers! Yeah very anxious to get it finished!

Have been going hammer and tong at it this weekend starting to get close in the engine bay. Very happy with the way its coming together. Will be in a position to start assembling the intake and order an exhaust this week.

From there it's almost there - I keep forgetting I need to sort out brakes which is a big expense but I want to do that properly.

Timing will depend on how much funding I can devote to the cause over the coming few months but I reckon minus brakes about a month. Might try to get some stock brakes in the mean time so tuning can begin. Wheels need to change with brakes as well so yeah it goes on!

Another busy day on the car...

A few odds and ends arrived from Nissan this week. Radiator overflow because I have lost mine somewhere, also some clips as most of them didn't entirely survive the strip plus they are old, brittle and ugly. Also borrowed an oil air separator / windscreen washer from Racepace so I can measure up where I want tabs to bolt it down.

IMG_1005_zpse417a896.jpg

Nice clean overflow installed. I have decided to stick with the 32 fuse box here and find a suitable +ve battery cable junction block. Having a look at the 34 one it's just too big and unnecessary.

IMG_1008_zps08cde3c2.jpg

Overflow line installed. Radiator cap is going to be replaced with a standard Nissan 0.9bar.

IMG_1029_zpse03e51cf.jpg

Rivnut will be going in here.

IMG_1010_zpscd95b42c.jpg

.. and mount to factory hole here.

IMG_1011_zps0189893e.jpg

P/s cooler lines sneaking past the radiator, got some cable organiser brackets as well.

IMG_1027_zps7f1631b4.jpg

IMG_1032_zpse8556bfd.jpg

Lines finalised with some new head shield sleeve to replace the factory p/s reservoir return line ones which were a mess

IMG_1056_zps1ed8b33e.jpg

IMG_1065_zps4da2b317.jpg

IMG_1045_zps74e19afb.jpg

IMG_1066_zps9eb98732.jpg

Bracket painted and all bolted in - I am making up one more bracket to brace the left hand side, its not too bad but to be sure

IMG_1067_zps1f2184c8.jpg

IMG_1068_zps3f183774.jpg

These clamps were in pretty bad shape, all the rubber had perished, I had tried to add some foam in there but not good enough.

IMG_1034_zpsf06cded0.jpg

IMG_1035_zps3a0b9397.jpg

Enter new ones...

IMG_1039_zps7c3b4444.jpg

Much better, also replaced the one just below the booster hose, came in black instead of white - nice.

IMG_1042_zps479c0854.jpg

Changed the oil cooler lines around a bit wasn't happy with the existing routing. Also the blue and red fittings made me cringe - pretty much everything is easily available in black now.

IMG_1061_zps631624fe.jpg

IMG_1062_zps87af984e.jpg

IMG_1069_zps8b7d17da.jpg

IMG_1079_zps6202e1dc.jpg

IMG_1080_zps5a721858.jpg

Still need to do some work to secure these properly, but almost there

IMG_1084_zps0d0d2087.jpg

Micolour has done an ace job - it's such a pleasure to work on.

IMG_1085_zps63edc9d4.jpg

Engine bay as it stands ... amazing how much time you can sink into it. Those manifold heat shields are annoying me, want to blast and ceramic coat them, but reluctant to pull all that stuff apart when its all bolted together so nicely.

IMG_1086_zps346ad93e.jpg

IMG_1087_zps3e9f8125.jpg

She's looking really nice Paul.

I think that putting a cooler for the PS fluid is almost mandatory for a GTR that is used for track/ circuit racing.

So your certainly doing yourself a favour there. The fittings and cooler look really neat.

What brake kit are you thinking of putting on the car? I know it's an expensive exercise, but again so worth it on theses cars. I know that my AP's are going to bite sooooo much better than standard OEM brakes.

Can't wait until t'ill it's complete and ready for tunning.

I think that putting a cooler for the PS fluid is almost mandatory for a GTR that is used for track/ circuit racing.

Yeah hopefully does the trick. Good thing is the next two sizes up in the PWR transmission coolers are the same width so I can easily chuck a bigger core on without changing anything else if need be.

What brake kit are you thinking of putting on the car? I know it's an expensive exercise, but again so worth it on theses cars. I know that my AP's are going to bite sooooo much better than standard OEM brakes.

Have finally decided today that I am going to replicate the setup from my 34. So alcon 4 pot kit on the rear, AP CP5555 on the front with the v8 supercar size rotors (can get a decent ex test pair for ~$300), and get the 34's rotor hats and dog bones replicated.

It's going to be ridiculously over braked ... just how I like it.

Will also use the Pagid RS29 yellow's - I love these pads, excellent from cold with that setup, handle everything I have thrown at them and much better feel than Ferodo's I find.

I'd be interested in the standard front and rear calipers if your looking to sell.

Would do but the stockies are long gone unfortunately sold off. Otherwise I would be tempted to chuck them back on as a stop gap to getting the car moving.