SAU Community

Paul's R32 Gtr Track Build

paulR32gtr

Spent yesterday on the car, mostly tidying up but got a few things done.

Removed these split HKS dumps ...

CIMG6588_zps017ab2c5.jpg

And replaced with this Midori setup. Biggest off the shelf dumps I could find, and the front pipes are pretty big compared to the JustJap ones I had on previously. Biggest in a two bolt flange.

They have really thought about the design on the Midori's, really easy to get to all the nuts as opposed to the HKS where I needed three different 12mm spanners for the nut at the back of the front dump.

CIMG6586_zps79fb7b2d.jpg

CIMG6584_zps13e12b94.jpg

CIMG6587_zps5ecb3c1f.jpg

Also rebuilt the clutch master with a new piston kit from Nissan. Really simple, two circlips, a good clean and check of the cylinder and back together with new bits.

CIMG6589_zpsf52b75bd.jpg

Comparing pistons easy to see why it was leaking.

CIMG6590_zpsa3f2c5af.jpg

New piston in.

CIMG6591_zps6807fa27.jpg

CIMG6592_zps2efb86bd.jpg

CIMG6595_zps3c3b814a.jpg

CIMG6596_zpsdf88a148.jpg

All back together and on the car.

CIMG6597_zps3f8becd9.jpg

BBQ fired up, triple level bbq burgers with the lot with an integrated egg / toasted bread centre layer and a couple of JD's - golden.

CIMG6599_zps6112f455.jpg

Have a spare full R34 battery cable / tray / fusebox setup so replicating the setup on the R32.

CIMG6604_zpsa8997fc7.jpg

The riser into the engine bay doesn't quite work with the R32 so modified one of the brackets a bit to bolt to the same spot as the speedo cable. Will do some more work around here to make sure its locked down and doesnt interfere with anything else.

CIMG6613_zpscad55a0e.jpg

Rivnuts all the way.

CIMG6614_zps4db55bed.jpg

Shape along the rail is identical. I lined up where the rail tapers out towards the front and the rest falls into place.

CIMG6620_zps5a8578b9.jpg

About the right amount of length up engine bay end.

CIMG6621_zpscd72c65b.jpg

Existing hole in the boot matches the standard R34 grommet.

CIMG6622_zps2c05eef1.jpg

Rear of the rail brackets fit in pretty well here too.

CIMG6624_zpsd05a76cd.jpg

Up over the tailshaft. Bit different here so I may even go direct to the boot and size the cable down accordingly. No need for it to be longer than it needs to be.

CIMG6625_zpsa256d985.jpg

How are you going to sit the positive end of the battery cable in the bay? My 33 has the battery under bonnet and I'm going to be putting in one of those cables like you are, just can't work out how I'm going to sit all the positive ends without it being dodgy or earthing out on the body.

How are you going to sit the positive end of the battery cable in the bay? My 33 has the battery under bonnet and I'm going to be putting in one of those cables like you are, just can't work out how I'm going to sit all the positive ends without it being dodgy or earthing out on the body.

I have the standard fuse / relay / distribution block spare from an R34 GTR so I am going to try to use that instead of the standard R32 GTR one you can see in the pics at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sunk a good chunk of time in yesterday.

Finished off the power steering lines and pump in place.

IMG_0721.jpg

Time to drop the engine in.

IMG_0726.jpg

Triple check the rigging while stand still attached to make sure it holds up while hovering the engine over the car.

IMG_0728.jpg

Engine in!

IMG_0744.jpg

• 2 months later...

Getting things rolling on this again now I have recovered from everything else. Aiming to have it started within about the next 4 weeks.

Sammich plate is on, flywheel sent off for machining yesterday should be back today.

Clutch and gearbox should be back in over the next few days

Flywheel, clutch, gearbox and starter are in.

Freshly machined flywheel fitted and torqued up.

CIMG6758.jpg

Then realised being a new engine it was missing the pilot / spigot bush in the end of the crank.

CIMG6759.jpg

Picked one up and installed and flywheel back on.

CIMG6760.jpg

Clutch on. Its an Xtreme unit I already had in the car, handled ~300rwkw so should still be up to the task.

CIMG6762.jpg