SAU Community

Paul's R32 Gtr Track Build

paulR32gtr

These wooden wheel stands are a massive help - had to get the car high enough to get the gearbox underneath on the hydraulic trolley.

CIMG6763.jpg

Getting closer.

CIMG6765.jpg

CIMG6766.jpg

CIMG6769.jpg

CIMG6770.jpg

Are you too good for your home?

CIMG6771.jpg

Bit more gentle coaxing and playing around with angles and shes apples. First time I have fitted up a gtr gearbox, was a bit painful but got the drill down pat now.

CIMG6774.jpg

Starter fitted up.

CIMG6776.jpg

And cross member in.

CIMG6778.jpg

ATTESA reservoir & lines through to the gearbox are in, tail & front shafts are in and bolted up. Entire drive train minus the drivers drive shaft in.

Front pipes on and played around a bit more with battery cable routing at the front where it ducks around the chassis rail. Looks like I can use more of the 34 bits than I thought - should be pretty neat once finished.

Also spent some more time on hooking up wiring in the engine bay.

Can almost see the end in sight.

Haha ok ok - tail shaft & 90mm front pipes. Dug out my old Trust PEII cat back and high flow cat to see what size they are. Not big enough - going to have to organise a new exhaust thinking Midori titanium. May even get the titanium Midori front pipes as well as I might need these ones on my other car due to a few issues. Wanted them originally but heard reports of titanium front pipes cracking - others seem to be using them successfully from what I have seen though.

IMG_0798.jpg

Fuel tank went in yesterday.

IMG_0803.jpg

Then started hooking up the cabin to boot wiring. This threw up the first issue with the battery relocation. The hole that works so perfectly is actually for passing through the 4wd pump wiring so I need a new solution to rise the battery cable into the boot. I left enough slack on the cable in case I ran into trouble like this so might bring it through behind the battery to keep it out of sight and neat.

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

Battery cable hole made and painted, mirrored the one on the other side and looks factory.

IMG_0814.jpg

Cable through and battery tray back in.

IMG_0815.jpg

Battery back in place.

IMG_0817.jpg

Also spent some time on my least favorite area of any skyline - the drivers foot well / fuse box / loom junctions. Got most of it hooked up but need to repair a few of the wires that were cut when the alarm system was installed and subsequently removed.

IMG_0818.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not a great deal to report. Waiting on an HPI braided clutch line so I can simplify and do away with the factory dampening system and get the slave cylinder back on and everything hooked up.

Put a new dust boot on as my old one had gone walkabout. Having serious trouble finding the bolts that mount the slave cylinder going to have to source some replacements.

Also got some new fuel hose to replace the old split ones.

IMG_0829_zps51e8e3a4.jpg

Got back on to the routing for the battery cable to get it finished off. Dunked some of the R34 mounting brackets in Phosphoric Acid to get some corrosion off, and hit them with some chassis black chip resistant paint.

IMG_0831_zps54cff9bb.jpg

In the bay along the rail there was an existing captive nut left over from the rear HICAS gear removal so mounted up nicely. Almost there on the rest of the bracketing.

IMG_0833_zps7047c375.jpg

Cable now ducks around the chassis rail using the R34 bits and works quite well. Just need to finish off the part around the steering and good to go.

IMG_0834_zps7d77ed8a.jpg

Clutch line should be here tomorrow. Then I just have a few other bits buried in the sands of time to track down so I can progress.

• Like 1

Thanks and thanks to everyone else who has commented! I've been having a lot of fun putting it back together - can't wait to see it fire up for the first time.

Had a thought last night the clutch slave bolts are probably in the starter motor, and the other 35mm ones I have left over are for the starter ....

Watching.....

I was just looking closer at your cage and noticed you did a double cross in the rear tubes. I only did a single tube diagonal in my 32. Now I am jealous of your cage......looks great. I might send mine back for some extras once I have raised some more money......

I was just looking closer at your cage and noticed you did a double cross in the rear tubes. I only did a single tube diagonal in my 32. Now I am jealous of your cage......looks great. I might send mine back for some extras once I have raised some more money......

I would say it's just Andrew evolving what is required / works. My R34 only has the single cross in the rear same with the one I bounced several times on its roof and that held up very well :P

My main concern is retaining the standard dash bar. If this was being used for rally still, I would probably do a dash bar with some more tie in to the trans tunnel / firewall just to keep that engine out of the cabin & keep good space for legs.

I believe I need the Sainz bar as well now to be able to log book / register the cage so will need to get that added at some point.

looking great Paul. Did racepace build the motor or did you do it yourself?

Yep Racepace built the motor. It's a stage 1 / 2.6. I sourced a new N1 block, R34 crank, Tomei oil pump, injectors etc and we used the head from my engine, rebuilt of course and the ancillaries. Turbo's are GT-SS that I already had on there that have only done 10K kms or so.