SAU Community

Neil's R33 Gts-t Build

Neil

Further to my weight reduction game,,,Fatz gave me this Stagea pedal as mine was slightly burnt during the cage installation. It might be only about 300grams but it cost nothing.

post-29-0-52122400-1431844066_thumb.jpg post-29-0-70411700-1431844102_thumb.jpg

I've finished making version 2 of my air box. This time I've used some off cuts front my front splitter material and done away with the heat/sound insulation. I forgot to take a weight pic of the side half but it's the same weight as the top,,, So 1.2KG removed.

post-29-0-96982100-1431845155_thumb.jpg post-29-0-33905500-1431845195_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-00444100-1431845322_thumb.jpg post-29-0-72826500-1431845579_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-81275600-1431845597_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

• Like 2

So onto the next diet job. I was sort of hoping the I could cut this bump out and sit my battery down but I should know better.

post-29-0-18043200-1431849354_thumb.jpg

I knew something would be under there but was hoping I could cut the lump out flush and have the battery looking like this.

post-29-0-82774600-1431849531_thumb.jpg post-29-0-69160700-1431849631_thumb.jpg

But not to be,,,Nissan had decided that a breather should be in the way,,,

post-29-0-46621700-1431849691_thumb.jpg

So back to plan "B" a 120 bucks and a up-right hold down bracket.

Cheers

Neil.

Play "B" has worked out a treat,,,battery and rear relay/fuse box is in and looking good.I do need to buy a battery positive terminal cover that fits properly though.

post-29-0-18127700-1432466805_thumb.jpg

Duncan and I did lots of good easy jobs today :-

Rolled the front guards and flared them at the same time so I don't have any clearance problems with the bigger slicks.

Swapped the front discs left to right,,,I run them wrong side round on the shorter climbs to stop the vanes from cooling the discs,,,but this next one is longer with 7 braking points so getting less heat in them is essential. Changed pads as well to softer ones.

The Patrol got a new volt meter and Duncan fixed my rear camera so we should be able to see out the back now.

Wheel alignment and corner weighting next weekend,,,with the normal last weekend jobs to be done as well.

I even spent the late arvo cutting the grass.

Cheers

Neil.

• Like 2

I just did my entry for Grafton so will see you up there Neil and Duncan :)

Sounds like a great plan Mick,,,are you up for practice on saturday?.

Nah, unfortunately i have to work friday so will be driving up there Saturday

Is there anywhere to stay up there or should I get a tent :/

And where exactly is it lol, i can't find a map location for it :)

Battery job looking neat. Well done.

You know you want flares. :yes:

Thanks Dale,,,I'm happy with it.

No to FLARES at the moment.

What is the beastie weighing now, you seem to have pulled some fat out of it.

Can you "depower" the steering rack? I was bored and did it to the 5, the steering is actually better I find now, I did cut out the internal piston to negate the internal pressure, with brackets, pumps and fluids I lost about 10kg (ish).

Guess the weight?????

My guess is 1432.6 kg with half a tank of fuel and a driver half full of beer.

What is the beastie weighing now, you seem to have pulled some fat out of it.

Can you "depower" the steering rack? I was bored and did it to the 5, the steering is actually better I find now, I did cut out the internal piston to negate the internal pressure, with brackets, pumps and fluids I lost about 10kg (ish).

Guess the weight?????

My guess is 1432.6 kg with half a tank of fuel and a driver half full of beer.

Hey Mark,,,how they hangin mate?.

I will find out tomorrow what Cheryl weighs. I've just finished filling her up with 40 litres of fuel for tomorrow so I'll get a wet reading.

Depower the steering,,, While that would save way more than 10 kilo's on a gtst,,,I'd have to go to the gym to steer the bloody thing. I did ages ago try steering her without the belt on and man it was hard going. I seem to remember Duncan struggled with steering his r32 without a belt on the track!!!.

Guessing the weight,,,shit it better not be anywhere near your prediction,,,1375 is standard so anything under 1300 would put a smile on my face tiger.

Cheers

Neil.

Neil, the problem with the PS when the belt is removed is that you are trying to pump hydraulic fluid through the system by arm power, when you fully depower a rack all fluid is removed and a grinder is taken to the internal piston which is pressed on inside the rack, this eliminates the pressure you have when the belt is removed/fails/falls off, the removal of the piston removes the internal air pressure which means you can bung the old PS fittings.

If you can find a spare rack, strip it down and look for the piston on the steering rod inside the rack.

The steering will be slightly heavier when you are moving slow but once you are moving it is easy as.

I was going to get a manual rack for mine but found that if fully depowered the rack I would have better ratios (less turns lock to lock), Ive driven a 5 with a manual rack and I prefer the depowered one.

Took me about 6 beers from full PS to fully depowered.

GOOGLE "De-powering a Miata power steering", I assume that all PS racks would be basically the same.

Rock and Roll

You two are funny f**cks. Friday night beers must have been great. Me I don't drink anymore,,,.

Mark, I thought your idea of "de-powering" my steering might have had some merit so I did some asking and searching. Done properly I'd recon I could lose about 15 kilo's but as I said above I do need to steer the car at low speeds as well. If I had a little girls car like yours powered by a lawn mower engine I would jump at it in a flash.

Cheers

Neil.

LOL, fair call.

Edit: I wish I had the power of a lawn mower.

Edit, Edit: I'm on the Scotch tonight, winning, the brilliant ideas will be coming fast and furious in a few hours time.