SAU Community

[Closed] Borg Warner Efr Series Turbos

Lithium

Lol. You do realise the OS engine has a longer stroke than the "non revving" Nissan engine, yes?

I was not meant to "poke" or stir up another discussion and just want to see a fairer comparison of peak power which is directly related to torque and rpm. Torque is just effective cubic volume and timing really.

Would love to see the other non revving nissan 3 or more Litres with the 9180 at 9-10krpm too ;)

I was not meant to "poke" or stir up another discussion and just want to see a fairer comparison of peak power which is directly related to torque and rpm. Torque is just effective cubic volume and timing really.

Would love to see the other non revving nissan 3 or more Litres with the 9180 at 9-10krpm too ;)

You are so transparently poking that the poke is hurting my eyes - stop it. There isn't much point debating it either, the other transparent thing is you must have an idea about something but no idea what you are talking about if that is your stance. Go learn more about rod/stroke ratios, head flow, and general tuning and do some research on what people have got out of various RB variants yourself before making blanket statements, then when you make a statement you might come off looking a bit more informed and a bit less like someone who has blindly swallowed some marketing propaganda.

To answer your question, I've seen next to no EFR9180 results on ANYTHING yet. The only results I have seen have been on 4cylinders, and there is someone I know of getting near having one running on a 13B - I am not even aware of anyone with a build intending on putting an EFR9180, the few that were keen lost interest after waiting about a year and it has since been probably another year or so before they have actually starting dribbling into the market. I for one will definitely update this thread if I catch wind of that situation changing.

I don't expect to see any form of EFR9180 RB30 doing good at 9000-10000rpm, whether overpriced OS RB30 or an OEM RB30 based setup as the EFR won't supply enough for a 3+litre with decent VE spinning at those rpm under any respectable amount of boost - which is good really, means they are 1000hp capable without needing to thrash the shit out of them.

I got lazy right at the end and didn't mix up fuel with ethanol and got it tuned on 98RON despite having 9.5:1 compression ratio. It couldn't really take any decent timing numbers at all. Still makes full boost at around 3200 and makes 258rwkw. Dyno printout is at home so will upload a pic tonight. Printout is in km/h rather than rpm at the moment so just trying to decypher it at the moment. I reallyneed to put a softer wastegate spring in it and lower the boost a bit to get a bit more timing into it imo.

Also I have either a faulty lifter or i didn't bleed it properly (although i was so careful) as it taps when cold from the rear of the head (so definitely not vtc) and it shakes on idle. I look forward to re-bleeding the lifter and retuning with 1/3 ethanol and 2/3 98 ron.

I have fiddled with a few high comp turbo SR's and can tell you 9.5:1 is not that sensitive. Just need to plan your tune method carefully.

Try to get a softer spring for sure. Maybe start tuning as low as 4psi and go balls out with the hardest tune possible. Then tidy up the tune as you wind up the boost.

Either way full boost at 3200 and 258 sounds like a really good start.

Edit: lol at lifter... I completely forgot to bleed mine, but they ended up self bleeding. Rev the arse out of it lol

Mark Berry ran one on his RB30 a couple of years back when they were still in development. He actually rang me from the dyno session he was that excited about how it performed.

Was making ridiculous boost at super low rpm. Can't remember the numbers he was quoting back then but it was very impressive. He was even visualising certain corners at EC like Turn 2 and how the 9180 will make them so much better to drive out of. Unfortunately everything EFR in the early days wasn't so great so he lost momentum with it when it let go and he couldn't get another one.

If it hurts I am so sorry. I did not know that is such a sensitive issue. It was not my intention. My OS RB30 is still healthy with the 9krpm limit. I've seen Willall OS RB30 at 10krpm+ without rev issues. I've not seen too many other at around that limit except possibly the RIPS or stroked Nitto. Hence the word "usually" in my statement.

I was after some data of what the 9180 is capable of at 9krpm. Thanks for the other information in your post.

Do you have any data of flow improvement with porting the RB head under "force induction" testing?

You are so transparently poking that the poke is hurting my eyes - stop it. There isn't much point debating it either, the other transparent thing is you must have an idea about something but no idea what you are talking about if that is your stance. Go learn more about rod/stroke ratios, head flow, and general tuning and do some research on what people have got out of various RB variants yourself before making blanket statements, then when you make a statement you might come off looking a bit more informed and a bit less like someone who has blindly swallowed some marketing propaganda.

Oh yeah forgot about that, he didn't share much publicly other than it didn't work out. They are capable of a LOT of power from all I can tell, and sound like they don't give that much (or anything) away to smaller turbos considering the power they are capable of.

If it hurts I am so sorry. I did not know that is such a sensitive issue. It was not my intention. My OS RB30 is still healthy with the 9krpm limit. I've seen Willall OS RB30 at 10krpm+ without rev issues. I've not seen too many other at around that limit except possibly the RIPS or stroked Nitto. Hence the word "usually" in my statement.

I was after some data of what the 9180 is capable of at 9krpm. Thanks for the other information in your post.

Do you have any data of flow improvement with porting the RB head under "force induction" testing?

Doesn't hurt me in the slightest that you are ill informed, I have a bit of manflu so probably quite short with my response - so don't take it the wrong way. Also don't take it the wrong way that I have no compulsion to try and justify myself in a thread that this would be going off topic on.

My engine builder should have access to a t4 9180 in the next week we were considerig it for my 3.2 build. Sound performance (possibly vested interest in making the PT look better) tested a 8374 on 2jz made less hp and spooled only slightly quicker than a open scroll 6266 so I'm really confused whether to give the 9180 a go or run with the 6766 that I already have.

Oh yeah forgot about that, he didn't share much publicly other than it didn't work out. They are capable of a LOT of power from all I can tell, and sound like they don't give that much (or anything) away to smaller turbos considering the power they are capable of.

Doesn't hurt me in the slightest that you are ill informed, I have a bit of manflu so probably quite short with my response - so don't take it the wrong way. Also don't take it the wrong way that I have no compulsion to try and justify myself in a thread that this would be going off topic on.

Wow it must be a man flu season. I asked a simple question and got sneezed at by two members about my assumed "ill informed". Lithium you are a well respected member on here with very well informed opinion mate especially about turbo too. I rarely post but read a lot of yours. Try to get vaccination for the flu buddy ;)

Yes I am aware of Mark & Russ test. Most people within the timeattack circle know this. Yes the turbo had the usual initial detachment problem. Hence I've steered away from BW for a while. M&R did not post any result though. Given that BW quality control appears to be improved, I am keen to try them out. I am after around 550-600rwkw without sacrificing the midrange of my current twin turbo setup for my timeattack car. Would be great if anyone else know of any others that's been tested.

Ryan, when do you think you will have that combo on the dyno?

Edited by 9krpm

Yes I am aware of Mark & Russ test. Most people within the timeattack circle know this. Yes the turbo had the usual initial detachment problem. Hence I've steered away from BW for a while. M&R did not post any result though. Given that BW quality control appears to be improved, I am keen to try them out. I am after around 550-600rwkw without sacrificing the midrange of my current twin turbo setup for my timeattack car. Would be great if anyone else know of any others that's been tested.

They didn't end up with a result to post as the turbo let go before they finished any high boost runs......... but you probably know this.

Sorry for sharing.

They didn't end up with a result to post as the turbo let go before they finished any high boost runs......... but you probably know this.

Sorry for sharing.

Dont be sorry buddy was glad that you brought it up ;)

Well from the result I have with only the EFR8374 on my "non reving" RB30, I would love to see a EFR9180 on a RB30 or RB32. I too would hazard a guess that you wouldn't need more the 8500-9000rpm to get the best out of the 9180. My 8374 needs no more than 7500rpm to get the 630hp at the wheels it makes (only 20psi, 98oct) and the spool is fantastic.....the curves don't really do it justice either, it's like the turbo is on all the time!

So, will the 9180 produce 550-600kw on a built RB30 on decent gas, with fast spool and great midrange.....no doubt