SAU Community

[Closed] Borg Warner Efr Series Turbos

Lithium

How do you guys running the EFR turbos find the boost recoveries between shifts compaired to similar turbos in the garrett range??

My EFR 7064 recovers from shifts around the same as a GT2871R. Pretty good considering the 2871 has a 54mm turbine wheel and the 7064 has a 64mm one.

Gotta love modern turbo tech - a 56lb/min turbo responding like a <45lb/min turbo... its a pretty sweet age when you can go for 25% more power and not loose any response :)

• Like 1

Has anybody heard of any serious failures with these things in racing conditions? I mean like the behind the scenes kind of thing that doesn't get released till much later on.

In particular the 8374 turbo? Later on down the track were looking at possibly switching to this unit to replace our GT35r's that have been rebuilt god knows how many times.

Has anybody heard of any serious failures with these things in racing conditions? I mean like the behind the scenes kind of thing that doesn't get released till much later on.

In particular the 8374 turbo? Later on down the track were looking at possibly switching to this unit to replace our GT35r's that have been rebuilt god knows how many times.

I haven't seen many Indy Cars drop out this season with engine problems.....

Late getting back to this and Geoff Raicer in particular .<br />There are limits to what you can use on a standard exhaust manifold and I reckon if there were suitable TS IW T3 flanged turbos available the standard manifold mob would be better off .<br />I'm particular and I can't have everything as I'd like it even with a single scroll IW turbo . At the end of the day I probably need more cubes so I can have the stronger low down part throttle torque and less reliance on FI to do the job properly .<br />

For next time Geoff check this thread:

Will the .80 divided housings only be for B1 frame turbos or will they do it for the 7064 as well?

I'd be soooo keen for a little smaller housing on my 7064 to get full boost under 3000rpm :woot:

Brad is your 7064 mounted on a standard RB25 manifold and if so can we see some pics of it . It'd be interesting to see a bolt on one in an R33/34 engine bay .

Cheers A .

It's an SR20 with T4 TS.

Welcome to the thread.

I did look in your sig before I asked the question and wasn't going back a dozen pages to check what you run .

Does anyone here have a 7064 on an RB engine ?

Actually it was on page 61, this is page 64. Thus my commentary.

I did look in your sig before I asked the question and wasn't going back a dozen pages to check what you run .

Does anyone here have a 7064 on an RB engine ?

Most of our RB customers use the 8374. however there is a drift team in southern California "Animal Auto" using RB25 with EFR 7064. here is the motor setup:

941191_459597127458117_1397252154_n.jpg

Also on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/AnimalAuto, check the vids from april 11 and may 21, the engine does not sound like most RB25's

For next time Geoff check this thread:

Will the .80 divided housings only be for B1 frame turbos or will they do it for the 7064 as well?

I will ask - I do not know the answer to that one

I haven't seen many Indy Cars drop out this season with engine problems.....

Correct - in the last 2 years all Indycar teams are using off-the-shelf EFR6758 or EFR9180 and zero turbo failures to date

the 8374 is a really, really good turbo, my favorite turbo ive ever had on my RB26. If you are coming off a GT35R you will not be disappointed. We have this available as T3 or Twinscroll T4 IWG right now. (1.05 a/r still has a very long backorder )

• 1 month later...

Here's a fun little clip (if anyone is familiar with the old High Octane DVDs the sensor of humour and style will be familiar - this is a little tongue in cheek) with an EFR7670 showing it's worth on an E85 fuelled EJ STi WRX: ("700hp" is actually ~450kw @ 4 hubs):

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

They don't do twins that small, EFR6258 shouldn't be far off in response but would make a crap load more power

Thank you ^_^

A single EFR7670 would however be more responsive and make more power than -9s

Not looking for top end , high 5's low 600 awhp and tears asphalt. Looking at cost for custom exhaust mani to keeping stock and having twins also ^_^ I want that balance instead of just gobs of power on top.

• Like 1

Thank you ^_^

Not looking for top end , high 5's low 600 awhp and tears asphalt. Looking at cost for custom exhaust mani to keeping stock and having twins also ^_^ I want that balance instead of just gobs of power on top. 

The single is smaller, more responsive than the twins. 6258 are capable of heaps