SAU Community

09gtr Rip

09GTR

On Saturday I take delivery of a 2010 gun metal grey r35. This car will replace my red 09 GTR that has featured in the modification thread "love the beast". The car that I, along with CRD, have spend huge amounts of money and time on is sadly no longer with us.

It's death was both a terrible accident and an act of negligence on the part of one of australias largest car transport companies. I had engaged their services to move my car back to the workshop after some testing of my latest mods (greedy turbo kit, tranny cooler, intercooler, exhaust, injectors, fuel pumps etc). We needed further dyno time to prepare for the upcoming Bathurst event. The car had to overnight at the transporters western Sydney depot.

As the internal security camera images later illustrated, the truck driver was attempting to park my car in the depot in front of a large transport trailer. The car was in reverse gear, rolling slowly backwards towards the trailer. The driver, wanting to prevent the roll stomped on the brake pedal to attempt to bring the car to an abrupt halt.

The driver stomped the wrong pedal.

Thankfully the driver ducked and was unharmed. The car on the other hand was decapitated, destroyed.

The big lesson in all of this is to check the contract fine print on any contract you sign handing your car over to a third party. Clause seven on my contract stated that in the event of any damage, only the market value would apply to any total loss scenario. This meant the transporter would have paid me market value (130k) minus the value of the wreck (say 50k), a total of 80k. This fact was pointed out to me by the head office risk manager within minutes of me seeing the wreck, the empathy was outstanding.

Thankfully my own insurer had a replacement vehicle policy for cars less that two years old. The transport company involve were kind enough to offer me a free transport somewhere! Naturally, due to their policy, I declined.

Anyway, the silver lining arrives on Saturday, and the journey begins all over again, quite exciting really!

Such a sad story... turned out ok but still one less gtr in the world.

Did claiming through your own insurance have much affect on your premium? Thats what would really get me annoyed. I guess your insurance is pursuing what they can from the transport company?

Such a sad story... turned out ok but still one less gtr in the world.

Did claiming through your own insurance have much affect on your premium? Thats what would really get me annoyed. I guess your insurance is pursuing what they can from the transport company?

I hope not, after all it was not my fault. I'll let you know. I imagine their recoveries dept will be all over the transporter.

good to see that everyone is ok that could of turned out line Final Destination .

Do the mods on the red one come back to u ?? or do insurnace keep it all and sell it at auction like is there a option to buy it back . only asking cause i dont know these things very well

Thanks dan

that is fked. a friend of mine was recently let down badly by a major car transport company. they delivered his car with an abnormally high amount of kms on it's clock and clear signs that the car had been treated badly. the 'gentleman' who received the car at their depo even went so far as to tell me his driving impressions of ferrari's new GTRs etc. it boggles the mind the lack of respect they have for other people property.

glad your insurer did the right thing. your premium will almost certainly be affected though. even a not at fault claim will change things next year come renewal time.

I'm impressed you can be so calm right now. I'd be in tears if that happened to my $11,000 GTS, but your $130,000 GTR with mods... far out mate. One of the most tragic stories I've heard all year; such a major loss :D I'm really sorry to hear this.

Who was the company, by the way? I'd like to avoid them when transporting my mums car back to Queensland.

So much for reputable transport companies! Would they at least give you a refund or just 'store credit'.

I gues you get the updated model now??

Can you at least take the parts off the wreck, or the wreck just goes straight to your insurer never to be heard of again?

I had mine written off by a female driving a 4wd , got roughly two thirds of my money back , insurance companies are a worry !

Nice to see your getting a full replacement , good luck with this one

I hate it when people say "cars are replaceable people are not "

bullshit - sometimes i wish i died in that car ,my car will never be replaced !!!!!!!!!!!

Man, tough luck! As said above can't beleive you're so calm about it. I guess getting angry now changes nothing; it's all happened now.

All the best for the new car, surely you can rip the parts off the wreck to put onto the new beast?

I just died a little inside.... If that was my car i'd be in tears everytime i looked at decapitatied.

My condolences for your loss :D

Edited by liger

how retarded do you have to be to 'stomp on the wrong pedal' when there's only 2 of them, and he drives FOR A LIVING! :D

I would say it was a case of wrong gear rather than wrong pedal.

Very sorry to hear, RIP.

As stated in your last thread that disappeared, if you need any insurance advice please PM me.