SAU Community

Garrett Medium Frame Gtx Turbos

SimonR32

turbo is already on order since I have a .63 housing for free sitting around thought id give it a shot... with smaller exhaust housing wouldnt it only help spool that turbo a bit quicker in comparison to .82? my aim is 500whp.. thats it.. bottom had been rebuilt but stock pistons and rods are there.. everything else was redone.. including the head..

even when googled this topic, I couldn't find any GTR guys running this turbo.. I got a very good deal on the unit so I couldn't pass it up..

a good friend of mine is running this turbo on his S54 (3.2L) high c.r. making 600whp on an .82 at 10lbs!

I'll share the results once this baby gets on the dyno

.63 is going to be very tight on a GTX35, to run that turbo you will want a .82

The other issue is your turbo is far exceeding your stock bottom ends capability, that setup should be good for over 400rwkw but the stock internals will generally start to let go at that mark (400rwkw about 530whp).

If y ou dont own that turbo yet you may want to consider another option unless you want to built the entire motor. I will make point that you have used the words 'less lag' and you have picked a fairly laggy turbo (running a tight housing is a bandaid fix and will just cost you power). You will be better off with a smaller turbo if you want more response (and not need to build a motor).

AFAIK also the regular GT3582R is looking more favourable than a GTX3582 or GTX3076, something you may want to review before you buy (GT series wont need as much boost to shine).

why do they require more boost...EVO's are a classic example, 1.6BAR standard, but put a gt3037 on there and will make the same power on 10psi.

The article was just Garrett PR trying to create a market for them which doesnt truly exist. the GTX turbos haven't set the world on fire, and I believe Garrett have spent <5 mins developing these Billet wheels simply because they are the current Fad in turbo tech.

If they truly wanted a new super high performance turbo they would have been done from scratch, ala BW EFR

Garrett were right to keep the rear the same, that way people could upgrade their older turbo's if they wanted, also less issues ala BW EFR.

I have successfully cloned myself into their target market, having the VQ25det which is low comp (8.5:1) with variable cams to wake the turbo up and good head flow it eats whatever boost the GTX3071 throws at it. I am now at a cross roads though, and only have 3 Garrett upgrade options. GTX3076, GT35, and GTX35 all of which should just squeeze in to the tiny space I have for them under the engine.

turbo is already on order since I have a .63 housing for free sitting around thought id give it a shot... with smaller exhaust housing wouldnt it only help spool that turbo a bit quicker in comparison to .82? my aim is 500whp.. thats it.. bottom had been rebuilt but stock pistons and rods are there.. everything else was redone.. including the head..

even when googled this topic, I couldn't find any GTR guys running this turbo.. I got a very good deal on the unit so I couldn't pass it up..

a good friend of mine is running this turbo on his S54 (3.2L) high c.r. making 600whp on an .82 at 10lbs!

I'll share the results once this baby gets on the dyno

wont do 375rwkws with the .63

Garrett were right to keep the rear the same, that way people could upgrade their older turbo's if they wanted, also less issues ala BW EFR.

I kind of agree, but it has resulted in a less than ideal product

I am very interested to see what they do with the small frame turbos, something along the lines of a GTX2554

I have successfully cloned myself into their target market, having the VQ25det which is low comp (8.5:1) with variable cams to wake the turbo up and good head flow it eats whatever boost the GTX3071 throws at it. I am now at a cross roads though, and only have 3 Garrett upgrade options. GTX3076, GT35, and GTX35 all of which should just squeeze in to the tiny space I have for them under the engine.

you sure you dont have other issues to deal with first though..like maybe your manifolds..

i think there is more to be squeezed from your current setup with some extra flow..

You are pumping silly boost into it now but its not making more..i would have expected closer to 350kw on 30psi e85, especially with that mammoth rear housing...

I don think the turbo is the problem atm...even if you put a bigger one on you will be restricted to much the same power your already at and you would probably just lose some response as well..

i'd be trying squeeze more out of what you got first, then as a last resort upgrading to the 3076 core as it can bolt up to your tial rear and should pump out an extra 50kw or so..

So all this billet wheel fluff, does it mean the general garret turbo is now getting the same compressor as the motorsport range of turbz such as the TR30R etc?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2444259

not even close....

to be honest it's the turbine i'd want to get my hands on.

I still have an option to buy a .82 housing.. its only 300 bucks.. and will save at least 600+ on the dyno!!

I'm just wondering how laggy it will be with .82 in comparison to .63.. i will settle with less power for more response.. again its in a small light rwd application so I want it to be fun to drive..

obviously my friend is making tons of power due to larger displacement and high C.R. and response is insane.. i'm sure me running the exact turbo .82 with half liter less and nearly 2.5 points of C.R. less will not feel anywhere near his set up..

Tks mates!

you sure you dont have other issues to deal with first though..like maybe your manifolds..

i think there is more to be squeezed from your current setup with some extra flow..

You are pumping silly boost into it now but its not making more..i would have expected closer to 350kw on 30psi e85, especially with that mammoth rear housing...

I don think the turbo is the problem atm...even if you put a bigger one on you will be restricted to much the same power your already at and you would probably just lose some response as well..

i'd be trying squeeze more out of what you got first, then as a last resort upgrading to the 3076 core as it can bolt up to your tial rear and should pump out an extra 50kw or so..

The issue with comparing is you forget mine is auto, there would be a 25kw drain there even with the torque converter locked when compared to a manual box. I really should fit the 33 GTR box I have here to claw back that lost power but then the diff ratios are way out. I dont need a 400+kph top speed. lol. I have to work with what I have atm.

Maybe I missed it but what's the CR of your friends one? I know you said 2.5 more than yours but I can't see yours. Surely it's there and I'm just blind

I still have an option to buy a .82 housing.. its only 300 bucks.. and will save at least 600+ on the dyno!!

I'm just wondering how laggy it will be with .82 in comparison to .63.. i will settle with less power for more response.. again its in a small light rwd application so I want it to be fun to drive..

obviously my friend is making tons of power due to larger displacement and high C.R. and response is insane.. i'm sure me running the exact turbo .82 with half liter less and nearly 2.5 points of C.R. less will not feel anywhere near his set up..

Tks mates!

I am now at a cross roads though, and only have 3 Garrett upgrade options. GTX3076, GT35, and GTX35 all of which should just squeeze in to the tiny space I have for them under the engine.

Well the FP HTA series has been around longer (ie, more proven) and have a wider range in the same footprint. Best of all, the entire range (like for like) seem to quite happily outperform the GTX from what I've seen. They have HTA versions of the GT3076R, GT3082R, GT3582R, as well as a GT3586R and a GT3794R :)

If you aren't shy about winding the crap out of the boost on E85 there is a good chance you could be looking at in the range of 440rwkw for the HTA GT3076R (with no more lag than you have), to near 600rwkw for the GT3794R on a good flowing manual transmission engine setup.

Turbo39psi102111.jpg

Above is a dyno plot of David Buschur's own car (2.3litre)running a FP GT3076R HTA completely maxed out on E85. For those who don't know, he is one of the EVO tuning/building kings - if I did an EVO, I'd be tempted to get him to send one of his motors over.... most "too good to be true" results come from motors built by him, regardless of who installed and tuned them later.

Mustang dynos are not "typical US" dynos either, much more in line with Dyno Dynamics - his dyno is regarded all over US as a heart breaker. The EFR7670 setup posted in another thread which made >600hp on a Dynapack later ended up in Buschur's shop and struggled to pass 550whp, the single entry GT3076R HTA in his opinion matches or betters the the EFR7670 in all fronts and I am so far struggling to find a way to doubt this.

His quote on this turbo after testing it:

That my friends is BAD ASS! The un-smoothed numbers came up 609 whp and 610 ft lbs of torque! This is the first car I know of that has broken 600 ft lbs on this dyno. This is the basic power/torque I was looking for when I built my RS this last time and why the 2.3RPM engine lives today' date=' for this purpose 600+ ft lbs of torque.

Unbelievable. This IS the turbo for an EVO. I will have a hard time recommending a Green/Red or anything else to most EVO owners after doing the testing on this turbo this week. [/quote']

The turbos are basically Garrett turbos running a new compressor wheel, so if you can fit a GT30/35R Garrett - you can fit a FP-HTA.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/PROD/NTGT3076HTA.html

An interesting point to note is that the FP GT3076R is close to the fabled 52trim GT3076R in dimensions, but pumps more air than a 56trim, actually argueably the same or more air than a 58-trim GTX3076R.

I've always been really impressed with the HTA turbos but kept reservations on the GT3076R HTAs as results on them were few and far between, people being more keen on the GT35+ sized ones. Well, now there are a fair amount of results - I reckon they are basically the shit and probably the best thing you could put on an RB25.

Potentially backed up by this feedback on FP website from a customer:

I bought the FP HTA GT3076R the replace a blown 35R on my RB25 powered S14, and boy, am I happy with it!! The turbo hits full boost around 3800 at sea level and just blows you away with how hard and how fast it hits!! First gear is useless and a shift in boost into second or third will snap the tires loose. I have it tuned to a conservative 17psi and it still puts down 440whp!! It pulls hard all the way to 7500!! I have had a couple of dyno shops say they were amazed by the spool of the turbo and how well it maintains all the way to redline. I DD the car and this turbo gives the car great low boost response with a quick kick in the pants when needed. Thanks FP for the best thing since canned Spam!!

Their GT30 runs the to4 0.7ar front right? Im not sure that housing will fit yet, although it would be a great option if it does. I have managed to get the 3 inch GT35 0.5ar front in there but I have the same issue with the GTX35 front, not knowing how much bigger the housing is in diameter.

he is running 11.1 c.r. on e85 pretty insane.. (S54 motor) but at 10psi his gtx3582r with .82 rear made some 630whp.. insane.. response is stupid to say at least.. S54 also revs to 8k just like the GTR of course downside on GTR is half liter displacement less and all that compression..

Of course i'll have to push more boost to get to 500whp which is fine but mainly curious if I can achieve 500whp on that .63.. looking at his set up once that S54 motor is built this season it should make 750whp like nothing! (keep in mind motor is bone stock, never been opened)

so debate remains, do i buy that .82 housing or stick to .63 (looking at his and mine specs) no way I can achieve the same results, hence the reason i'm leaning towards smaller housing..

Maybe I missed it but what's the CR of your friends one? I know you said 2.5 more than yours but I can't see yours. Surely it's there and I'm just blind

This is a GTX3582 with .82 on a 25 @ 24psi, comp ratio is in the 9's somewhere, cant remember exactly. Small tomei cams. Might give you an idea on response.

Runs on power plus E85.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=361443

Edited by Shane_954