SAU Community

Kando Dynamics Turbo

SimonR32

lol i wanna make that track day before the rego expires dude, i need to be able to fill it up wherever and whenever, jerrys just dont cut it!

Im seriously struggling to find elbows for the T28 at a decent price... might just get the .64 housing for the disco afterall (its cheaper in the short term)

AWESOME!!!

jez, remember to do a dyno run with and without VCT please if u get the chance :)

i want to see if it really does make a difference.

alot if run up on the dyno properley... spent hours with cam gears on numerous occasions trying to fill the void from no VCT.

cheers for clearing that up Trent! would you have any idea why theres a tapping noise when VCT is engaged? my tuner rekons its slightly touching the piston?

jez how did it go last night?

Roy: the billet wheel looks interseting,

how much did your one set you back? i wouldn't mind upgrading to a billet wheel if it is proven to give gains and worth the $$ spent.

alot if run up on the dyno properley...

Totally, no idea why people still aren't totally convinced when a lot of people (including Nissan) obviously swear by it. Proof has been posted and lots of credible people have stated time and again that its well worthwhile, it should be as clearly defined as is the fact that a turbo helps our cars make more power and torque.

<edit: Sorry, missed you had already responded - but still, VCT fully makes a worthwhile difference, I've seen ~10% gains for reasonable portions of the rev range by tuning it properly... and a couple hundred rpm or so improvement in spool>

And yes, how did it go Jez?

cheers for clearing that up Trent! would you have any idea why theres a tapping noise when VCT is engaged? my tuner rekons its slightly touching the piston?

LOL WOT

Ask your tuner if he has ever dismantled an engine... VCT ventures down and decides to visit piston.. Hello piston, I am VCT.

If the tuner literally thinks that when VCT is engaged that the valve timing is causing the valve to make contact with the piston than you have a serious issue. You should have lost compression on all cylinders in that case. Devastating result.

If our VCT is noisy when it is engaged then you will need to test 3 things: is power/signal constant to VCT or inconsistent causing it to flicker on/off? Using stethoscope type tool listen to: VCT solenoid and see if thats the noise OR try to listen to cam actuator and see if that is the noise.

If the signal to VCT is constant when engaged and it is clicking away, either the solenoid is rooted or the actuator. If the signal is inconsistent the click could be the VCT constantly disengaging and re engaging, which would be an electrical issue. Then again if the solenoid was electrically screwed it could also have high resistance causing the signal to trip out and then try re engage etc.

Back to the drawing board.

LOL WOT

Ask your tuner if he has ever dismantled an engine... VCT ventures down and decides to visit piston.. Hello piston, I am VCT.

If the tuner literally thinks that when VCT is engaged that the valve timing is causing the valve to make contact with the piston than you have a serious issue. You should have lost compression on all cylinders in that case. Devastating result.

If our VCT is noisy when it is engaged then you will need to test 3 things: is power/signal constant to VCT or inconsistent causing it to flicker on/off? Using stethoscope type tool listen to: VCT solenoid and see if thats the noise OR try to listen to cam actuator and see if that is the noise.

If the signal to VCT is constant when engaged and it is clicking away, either the solenoid is rooted or the actuator. If the signal is inconsistent the click could be the VCT constantly disengaging and re engaging, which would be an electrical issue. Then again if the solenoid was electrically screwed it could also have high resistance causing the signal to trip out and then try re engage etc.

Back to the drawing board.

its a tapping noise, not a clicking noise that a vct solonoid makes.

he doesn't want to run it anymore with it engaged incase it causes major issues to the engine.

so really just looking around if anyone has had this issue and if theres any solutions for it.

want to know what im up for before and if i do decide to rip the head apart to have a look.

quite funny that the first tuning place who installed my ecu and put the run-in tune in did not pick this up or advise me of the issue- love their tuning capabilities (if they even did a run in tune!)

my comments still stand regardless of if its a tapping or a clicking, if its a tapping its more likely to be mechanical than it is electrical and again more likely to be the cam actuator more than it is the solenoid.

have you got a spare VCT cam gear (actuator) lying around to give it a go?

I just think its nonsense that the VCT engaging can make the valves hit the pistons. Unless the cam timing is out.

cam timing isn't out, he double checked it when he thought that was the initial issue.

he confirmed the noise was coming from inside the motor and not around the solonoid or cam gear area but willing to swap the cam gear over to try it out.

narh i dont have a spare VCT cam gear, is the cam gear from a r33 rb25 same as r34 rb25 neo?

anyone willing to lend me one to borrow so i can test?

Ok no Dyno for me :(

Lets just say DO NOT BUY A vband to 38mm wastegate adaptor cause there is no way to bolt it on and fit the v band or visa versa. They havent allowed enough room, i only had an hour this arv before i was heading to the dyno and didnt have enough time to pull the manifold off to fit the v band. Ill replace the gate next weekend.

DEVO

Totally, no idea why people still aren't totally convinced when a lot of people (including Nissan) obviously swear by it. Proof has been posted and lots of credible people have stated time and again that its well worthwhile, it should be as clearly defined as is the fact that a turbo helps our cars make more power and torque.

Added 15kw in the midrange for me, pretty huge improvement.

So I am trying the FP Green 73HTA compressor on my TD06L2 turbine and 8cm housing. Who is going to give their TD06L2 to ATP in Melbourne for one of their billet wheel upgrades?

I am waiting for a reply to my email at the moment. Real keen to see which of all these turbos makes the numbers or whether all their claims are hype.

Here is the claimed difference between their billet 20G wheel replacement (anodised Gold) and the std 20G compressor.

Mitsubishi-EVO-Turbo-GOLD-1076.jpg

Mitsubishi-EVO-Turbo-GOLD-1094.jpg

The above is on an EVO so you could almost add 30-40rwkws for an indication of what it would make on a Skyline

The claim that they also make 30kws more then the FB Green compressor which is a little alarming since that is what I have :( The wheel looks as close to identical to the BBK billet compressors only gold vs blue.

I would if i were a little closer to actually fitting it , my setup is fairly similar to yours so results (assuming dyno are setup similar) would be comparable . Or are you looking for someone to lend you their turbo for you to use in your comparo?