SAU Community

R34 Gtr Build

What youre doing here is awesome mate.

Not only thinking but working outside the box is something I personally look greatly upon and im sure most others appreciate it too. Its refreshing and exciting.

All the simple minded haters piss off and go enjoy your off the shelf parts and off the shelf results.

Really cant wait to see the dump pipe together. Manifold and gate setup looks super sexy. Love the hi-tech looking stainless.

loving the thread mate. great stuff. I would love to come and talk with john about his ideas one day. he is a fantastic craftsman that's for sure.

I run a motec in my 32 too, not nearly as comprehensive as yours though! but it does run very nicely.

I'll echo some previous thoughts on using an EFR turbo. I have a lot to do with both borg warner and full race at the moment and would be happy to make an introduction? I'm sure they could supply the info john needs to make an informed decision about their product. pm me if interested.

You are more then welcome to come and see john and speak to him and let others know who he really is.

Motec is the best and as i said before you can tell it what to do. If you ever need it tuned do let me know.

John has seen some data from me and was very happy with the turbo compressor Map having high pressure ratio's. the only draw back was the turbine housing being 1.01 way to big compared to what i am running 0.71. The full race manifold i think i have said it in the thread of its problems. However if you have any of these parts we can take it to john to show him and he would be more then happy to give you some feed back. I do have a video of john talking about the EFR turbo's will have to find it and post it on here

Bobby,

Are you doing anything (or going to do anything) in regard to measuring exhaust manifold back pressure vs boost pressure?

2 years ago i remember john saying to measure back pressure in the exhaust Vs boost pressure not sure if he still wants me to do it. Not sure how the readings would be installing this wastegate merge venturi!!!

I will ask him tomorrow and will see what he has to say.

What youre doing here is awesome mate.

Not only thinking but working outside the box is something I personally look greatly upon and im sure most others appreciate it too. Its refreshing and exciting.

All the simple minded haters piss off and go enjoy your off the shelf parts and off the shelf results.

Really cant wait to see the dump pipe together. Manifold and gate setup looks super sexy. Love the hi-tech looking stainless.

Thank you mat for yor comments.

I should have some nice pics of it tomorrow of the dump.

I'm eagerly waiting finished pics of this set up, the ex manifold + wastegates and dump pipe are going to be nothing short of amazing. John seems like a true craftsman!

Great stuff!

It reminds me of the old school drag racing headers they use on some of the radically modified VW naturally aspirated engines. They would have a long merged collector and just a bit after the collector they would put in a venturi pipe, followed by a stinger exhaust tip (that looked like a big trumpet). The venturi would be connected up to the engines crankcase breather, and at high RPM the exhaust gas velocity across the venturi would actually pull the crankcase into a vacuum.

Bobby

Felt compelled to sign up to the forum so as to write you a note of support.

I roll out telecommunications networks around the world andam back home for the next 24 months rolling out a new one for a certain ah,"Telecom". When I negotiatewith suppliers and speak to them about the amount of R&D that goes intotheir products and the licensing that they go through to both achieve theirspecifications and protect their intellectual property it really should makecertain members here take note. I'llgive you an example, right now we are rolling 4G LTE, its obviously the newstandard. What is interesting is oursuppliers are already shopping "true" 4G which is the next gen 4G andare already well underway in developing 5G which may be the CSIRO product whichwould be nice for Australia and an example of why you invest in R&D -anyway I digress. All in all, thesetechnologies are a series of both innovation and licensing. Some here seem to not have an appreciationfor what R&D costs, mere tooling to turn a theory into a reality is prohibitivelyexpensive. So in real numbers, if wespend $2 billion as a total cost of rollout over the network (which means 4Geverywhere with a 3G backup), that pricing on our supplier discount - afternegotiating price - leads to a margin so small to our suppliers that they maketheir money on picking up the network management agreements (in other words servicing). They have no option but to continue to rollnew ideas and new technology otherwise their business falls over but moreoverthey fight tooth and nail to keep their information proprietary. A quick Googleand you will see each manufacturer is suing the other over patentinfringements.

What is unique with you is that rather than protect what youhave paid for you have made it public and allowed others to glean from it, thatis rare and should be appreciated by all members of this forum. In addition, considering the wealth ofknowledge you are buying, the tooling and the manufacture (not even factoringsupply cost) I would have thought you were getting out quite cheaply for abespoke product in relative terms.

Just a point to sway your argument for people like simon32et al (and Simon I don't mean to single you out or offend) and the argumentthat bolt on for $1000 gets near to the same results - how much money do youthink HKS invested in their V-CAM system? I would hasten to guess they made a loss on it. Its relative failure to penetrate the marketto the extent they intended is reflected both in its scarcity and its inabilityto achieve economies of scale and drop its price point on the entry specsystem. Of course its price point isreflective not only of its performance benefit but moreover of its cost ofdevelopment. They also did what most do, they restricted its use to theirmanagement system and their direct suppliers. Of course, as you would expect its a software restriction so this has beencircumvented. My point is this, for$10k, if this works as Bobby intends, the V-CAM is suddenly moot. Scary thoughtif like me you ponied up for a V-CAM.

Now think about HKS and turn them into Nissan, how much doyou think Nissan spent in what 1986-88 doing R&D on just the head designalone, let alone all the individual components that were unique such as ATTESTA- now factor in CPI. My point is this,stop thinking of Bobby as an end user like yourself "oh I can get the samefrom a HKS bolt on" and think of him as a most generous manufacturer. It is determination like this that seesmarket change, if I'm a manufacturer like Full Race or the Japaneseequivalents, I am praying that someone points me in the direction of this forumand I get a team to cost mass production of this product.

I'm not saying it's going to work, it's not my area, butBobby I applaud you on taking the risk, doing the research and investing insomething that you believe in but moreover making it open source and providingthe information for everyones benefit is extremely admirable. And Ian if youread this thumbs up to you too, I fully understand what you say when you talkof the pleasure it brings you to know that you have something unique that youcreated.

Finally, as the grandson of a famed steel fabricator andcar/bike restorer it's great to see the quality of work, though process andtraditional skill in John's work.

All the best to you.

OAB

Edited by NCIS
  • Like 1

Bobby

Felt compelled to sign up to the forum so as to write you a note of support.

I roll out telecommunications networks around the world andam back home for the next 24 months rolling out a new one for a certain ah,"Telecom". When I negotiatewith suppliers and speak to them about the amount of R&D that goes intotheir products and the licensing that they go through to both achieve theirspecifications and protect their intellectual property it really should makecertain members here take note. I'llgive you an example, right now we are rolling 4G LTE, its obviously the newstandard. What is interesting is oursuppliers are already shopping "true" 4G which is the next gen 4G andare already well underway in developing 5G which may be the CSIRO product whichwould be nice for Australia and an example of why you invest in R&D -anyway I digress. All in all, thesetechnologies are a series of both innovation and licensing. Some here seem to not have an appreciationfor what R&D costs, mere tooling to turn a theory into a reality is prohibitivelyexpensive. So in real numbers, if wespend $2 billion as a total cost of rollout over the network (which means 4Geverywhere with a 3G backup), that pricing on our supplier discount - afternegotiating price - leads to a margin so small to our suppliers that they maketheir money on picking up the network management agreements (in other words servicing). They have no option but to continue to rollnew ideas and new technology otherwise their business falls over but moreoverthey fight tooth and nail to keep their information proprietary. A quick Googleand you will see each manufacturer is suing the other over patentinfringements.

What is unique with you is that rather than protect what youhave paid for you have made it public and allowed others to glean from it, thatis rare and should be appreciated by all members of this forum. In addition, considering the wealth ofknowledge you are buying, the tooling and the manufacture (not even factoringsupply cost) I would have thought you were getting out quite cheaply for abespoke product in relative terms.

Just a point to sway your argument for people like simon32et al (and Simon I don't mean to single you out or offend) and the argumentthat bolt on for $1000 gets near to the same results - how much money do youthink HKS invested in their V-CAM system? I would hasten to guess they made a loss on it. Its relative failure to penetrate the marketto the extent they intended is reflected both in its scarcity and its inabilityto achieve economies of scale and drop its price point on the entry specsystem. Of course its price point isreflective not only of its performance benefit but moreover of its cost ofdevelopment. They also did what most do, they restricted its use to theirmanagement system and their direct suppliers. Of course, as you would expect its a software restriction so this has beencircumvented. My point is this, for$10k, if this works as Bobby intends, the V-CAM is suddenly moot. Scary thoughtif like me you ponied up for a V-CAM.

Now think about HKS and turn them into Nissan, how much doyou think Nissan spent in what 1986-88 doing R&D on just the head designalone, let alone all the individual components that were unique such as ATTESTA- now factor in CPI. My point is this,stop thinking of Bobby as an end user like yourself "oh I can get the samefrom a HKS bolt on" and think of him as a most generous manufacturer. It is determination like this that seesmarket change, if I'm a manufacturer like Full Race or the Japaneseequivalents, I am praying that someone points me in the direction of this forumand I get a team to cost mass production of this product.

I'm not saying it's going to work, it's not my area, butBobby I applaud you on taking the risk, doing the research and investing insomething that you believe in but moreover making it open source and providingthe information for everyones benefit is extremely admirable. And Ian if youread this thumbs up to you too, I fully understand what you say when you talkof the pleasure it brings you to know that you have something unique that youcreated.

Finally, as the grandson of a famed steel fabricator andcar/bike restorer it's great to see the quality of work, though process andtraditional skill in John's work.

All the best to you.

OAB

OAB,

Thank you for your comments and support.

Its only people like yourself who can understand what i am trying to do and i am confident that this will all work. The design is not just made up its all from books that john has he has many times shown me the theory in book, the beauty about John is he has an amazing understand of these books and only he can put it in practise. This is where not only i benefit however everyone does.

If you know any one in the motorsport industry do ask them about John Skola.

Yes i know some people are negative on this forum, Hey you cannot make everyone happy.

I come from an industry full of secrets, where these companies only benefit from this, i dont see why i should keep secrets where everyone wants a fast car and find it hard to acheive. I hope this info in some way open peoples eyes so they can try and copy it or even understand 10% of it.

And this build is not a challenge to anyone, the only challenge i have is to complete it and list all the data and info to the best of my ability.

Thank you again

• Like 1

OAB,

Thank you for your comments and support.

And this build is not a challenge to anyone, the only challenge i have is to complete it and list all the data and info to the best of my ability.

Thank you again

No problem, not sure what happened to the post, did a spell check and all the spacing seemed to dissapear between some of the words. Trust it still made sense.

Know of John, we still have an interest in a few cars here via both ownership and sponsorship, I mentioned his name this morning to a team owner this morning actually, they praised him not only as an engineer but as a person which personally is more important to me.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

No problem, not sure what happened to the post, did a spell check and all the spacing seemed to dissapear between some of the words. Trust it still made sense.

Know of John, we still have an interest in a few cars here via both ownership and sponsorship, I mentioned his name this morning to a team owner this morning actually, they praised him not only as an engineer but as a person which personally is more important to me.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Good hear that people do know him.

I hope to have some updates very soon, work on the car is slow at this point of time.

having met john and spent a few hours(!) talking to him I have utmost respect for the man. he has amazing skills and a brain that operates on another level to most. I have a pretty high IQ but john must be off the charts. Very nice guy too and not afraid to tell what he thinks and usually has very sound arguments to back his opinions too. he has some amazing ideas about a whole range of stuff.

I've no doubt this will be off the charts. I want to go back and ask him some more stuff. just need time for my brain to digest the last bits of knowledge he dropped on me!

thanks very much bobby. I really appreciate the intro mate. and your time too. :)