SAU Community

E85/98 Flex-Fuel Mission Complete! Thanks To Chequered Tuning!

Hi Trent,

Can you confirm what pump / pumps people have run through these sensors?

If someone has run twin 044's (600lph) with no problems then that's proof enough for me.

Id prefer to avoid the cost and risk of alot of additional fuel connections.

Cheers.

ps series haltechs will also do it, we have set up the Autronics (6-8 months back) now too even though we were told it wont work :P

Will the ps haltech do it with a zeitronix or do u need their sensor & can device?

as long as the ps haltech can take a digital input, any sensor will be fine - and to be honest, i don't even know if you need the digital sensor? a 0-5v might be do-able? but yeah, digital input... you're sweet afaik

OK random question, but I want to confirm just from posts I've seen from Australians on other forums on this topic - with these flex fuel setups are you only using it for Flexfuel type blends? So to run E60-E90 type range... or are you able to run straight un-alcoholic 98 up to E85?

OK random question, but I want to confirm just from posts I've seen from Australians on other forums on this topic - with these flex fuel setups are you only using it for Flexfuel type blends? So to run E60-E90 type range... or are you able to run straight un-alcoholic 98 up to E85?

I'm personally running anything from straight 98 to E90 or so.

Cool, thats what I thought - I've tuned a car to do 98->E90 thinking there was no reason not to, and it seems to do everything I want it to without too much issue so was surprised to read that and thought I'd see if there was something I'd missed, or if there was something other people had hit issue we haven't - or haven't yet :)

it's people getting confused with some of the terminology, of which people like Caltex have made it a little confusing...

FlexFuel in itself is not a fuel (as i'm sure you know) - it's a term referring to the ability of a car to run a mixture of anything really (obviously not diesel/gas) without requiring the user to do anything with the car. Set and forget.

Caltex called their high E% blend 'EFlex' which has confused some people... as it's got the word 'Flex'.

Either way, it seems United has their very own ethanol plant in QLD which seems to explain their greater roll-out i guess. But it seems the base stock is not crop by-product as it was with Manildra and CSR when United was using CSR ethanol. This some-what reduces the benefits of E85 from an environmental perspective if this is the case for United. I'll need to look into it more....

• 2 weeks later...

man this was a good read, was meant to hand in my last assement. Soon as i get some funds might be heading up to VIc how long did the process take it wouldnt be a drop in the morning pick it up next day thing would it?

• 5 months later...

Thread bump.

Looking at doing this with the HR 31. Not looking for silly power but a cheaper fuel bill.

Link g4 seems to be the go. However I do not have the option of a plug in unit due to the age of the car.

I have purchased a second OEM ecu that I intend to scrap for the case and connectors so i can make a plug in setup.

Engine is the original red top RB20 NICS item - bog stock. Trans is a 4 spd auto that is externally controlled.

Now the questions:

Which G4 do I need ? Looking at storm seeing as it has wiring that I can terminate into the OEM plugs

Flex sensors. There look to be two of them. Which one do I need?

I realise the link runs an internal map sensor will it run an EXTERNAL one? I have no where to bring a vac line in without drilling holes.

NICS intake solenoid - this is obviously capable of running them- correct?

Pump. I realise that this needs to change. Any idea what fits in the stock spot with twice the flow?

Injectors , been told GTR yellow tops will do the job and drop in with a hose tail mod. Will these be big enough if I decide to swap to a rb25 turbo?

Can I get a workable data stream out of this? Looking at doing a trip computer (think hks camp.) for it and would like the data to display on it. The hand held items out for now as this screen needs to display a camera and GPS.

--

Ideally I would like to retain OEM drivability whist being able to use a cheaper fuel.

Thoughts welcome.

Chris,

Calorific content of ethanol is lower than petrol so the general guide is you use about 20-30% more ethanol by volume to get the same power output. In actual practice it works out costing roughly the same:

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/ethanol-put-to-the-test-e85-v-e10-v-premium-unleaded-20110205-1ahgx.html

As for fuel lines, I really doubt you'd have any problem with the hard lines. It's the rubber lines that suffer, older cars weren't ethanol-safe. You may need to run new fuel lines that are alcohol resistant, anything current that has an SAE marking stamped on it will be. I bought some recently that was SAE30 R7, and it is rated for immersion in fuel (ie, inside petrol tank). Not necessary to get immersion rated for under-car stuff of course .

I'm also planning an E85 experiment with my car, I am upgrading turbo, ECU and injectors and aiming to get the same driveability and fuel consumption as previously on PULP as well as the same fuel spend as PULP on E85. But have the benefit of more power (should go from 180rwkw currently to 230-250rwkw).

Geoff