SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

R31Nismoid

For the world travellers

This is the blog of a nice Aussie couple my work sponsors, doing a round the world trip in their decked out Nissan Patrol

http://www.globatrol.com

Pictures and stories have been making me very jealous over the last few months

They've certainly encountered some interesting characters and just reading their blog is incredibly eye opening...would love to do it one day

If you've travelled to the middle of nowhere and get welcomed into a strangers home and drink local whatever drink and can't speak the language and everyone is laughing and having a great time AND you don't die

... then yes you're doing it right

edit: globatrol.com is absolutely doing it right

I quite enjoy a few video series on youtube about people who are doing just that sort of thing...

Y'all should watch Hasta Alaska - its Half travelling from Guatamala to Alaska and half repairing their kombi engine :P

Having done a bit of travel I can attest the best travel is going to places no one goes to. If the highlight of your trip is beer and/or party whoa you have wasted your time and don't even know it

.... unashamed travel hipster

we are talking about Germany dude... it's the home of beer.

If you go to germany and anything you do DOESN'T include beer.... you are doing Germany wrong

• Like 2

One of the things that stuck out for me from the globatrol blog...

locals using 30 year old beaten upcars overloaded to the shit / working them at their absolute limits for capacity to struggle to carry things...stopping and asking the couple if they needed help lol

And then comparing it to someone here who says I need a new company car this one is nearly a year old / racked up 20,000km...

Maslow's hierarchy at work

And I don't know, I think we are kind / good samaritan in our own ways, but I couldn't see strangers from another country traveling through Australia and being randomly invited into people's homes and given banquets of food...but who knows, it might happen in rural Australia? Hard to judge when you live in a city where seeing foreigners isn't an out of the norm thing and cause to celebrate.

Seems like a lot of these blogs start up when people want to communicate back to home what they're up to and where they are and what they're seeing... without making them sit through a slideshow night when they get home ;) A few of them are popular and turn into web series / sponsored blogs... Most don't make it through more than 2 or 3 posts before they give up

these are the type of hipster people that need to take photos of every second to show off to their friends what they have done.

prob more interested in making what they are doing look enjoyable for instagram/facey than enjoying what they are doing.

only photo i ever got was of the woman i was with at the time doing asian pose while eating.

well only photo in public. :bunny:

Ive been watching global village before the blog/vlog shit was cool.

Best episode was in columbia where they drag huge amounts of coffee beans on retired-korean war jeeps for hundreds of kms up and down ridiculous mountains and roads... And the mechanics that have been repairing them for 50 years. Cant remember the name of the jeep but pretty cool.

Saves me going to columbia to see it for myself.

Seems like a lot of these blogs start up when people want to communicate back to home what they're up to and where they are and what they're seeing... without making them sit through a slideshow night when they get home ;) A few of them are popular and turn into web series / sponsored blogs... Most don't make it through more than 2 or 3 posts before they give up

This

Plus some of them have unique experiences detailed in them that plenty of people haven't come across

Bit different to a blog or ye olde Facebook album full of pics of the Eiffel Tower (read: photos that someone else has already done a better job of taking than you) and Bali beach photos from the now recently cultured individuals inflicting western tourism on people who are smiling in photos cause they just ripped them off

I am yet to see a travel blogger who does it to show off, or say how awesome or cultured they are.

The travellers you see and meet out there doing things are almost always the most genuine, friendly people who believe the best in humanity, they're doing it because someone asked them to, or because they want to share the fun and experiences they have experienced. These people are more often that not just curious explorers going out there to find things/lifestyle/people that are different from they are and wanting to learn, gain more experience, just say hello and generally be nice people.

I personally took notes on my (short) trips mainly because

a) I can refer people who ask SO MAN HOW WAS YOUR TRIP and just point them to it and they can read if they cbf

b) So I personally remember the things that happened, i.e for my own sake because my memory is poor.

Not saying you shouldn't drink beer in Germany, you should. Get all in on any local food and drink you can, wherever you go.

More so the people 'you know' who go to somewhere like Thailand specifically and exclusively for cheap drink/binge/party session then act as though they're cultured and awesome travellers. They may or may not own jetski's and malloo utes

I'm all for people doing it because they want a cheap party trip, as long as they admit that's why they went there, but I have to admit to pure rage any time I see some non-western town with a 'tourist' area of westernized sales gaudy shit in it. Selling out their own culture for the $ makes me really angry at the party dickheads who go there because WHOOOO $2 COCKTAILS f**k YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

• Like 1

I'll never understand the bragging of how cheap food is elsewhere compared to where you live...this seems largely negated by your travel costs and accomodation. Sure it feels good at the time but if that's your mentality then you already forgot how much you spent to get there lol

To me that's like yelling out wooo LPG or wooo solar power is so cheap, after spending several thousand dollars on a conversion and not realising you have a few years of living with it before you've legitimately saved some money