SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

R31Nismoid

Back when a console game meant Tomb Raider and the only way to play a decent shooter was on a PC, is when you were hailed a geek or nerd

Then came halo and the cod series and see ya later, no recognition for being an OG shooter gamer though

We fought the wars that won't be remembered

Couple articles about this. The identity of a geek gamer has been lost & blended into everyday norm.

The people who suffered through it and built their identify around it have nothing to show now.

Only thing they can do now is vent/rage at newcomers. Cause hate on the Internet.

Same thing happened with the cinema-goers with scifi. Now every new blockbuster is based on a comic book with your mum/dad going to watch.

Yes and now grandparents downloading torrents and swapping portable hard drives wtf

I remember having a pocket PC (windows ce ftw) in year 7 and copping never ending shit for it - these days you'd get bagged if you didn't have a more capable smart phone lol

Had a HP pocket pc in 2003, kept it in my blazer pocket, as was the style at the time. Couldn't afford the CF card wifi adapter.

Did have the foldable keyboard to type notes though. I was like sent from the f**king future.

post-10032-14379924502035_thumb.jpg

Achieved 48/50 study score in IT in year 11 at age of 16.

Career councillor said electrical & comp systems engineer. Did 1st year electrical eng & was like wtf do not want any of this shit.

Was planning to switch to business IT but didn't want to waste the 1yr of engineering studies.

So picked the next best option which was process engineering with a stretch at process improvement in IT.

Now I'm stuck writing excel macro's for clueless managers & being IT support when IT has nfi.

This was my baby; saved up $400 and bought it from Brashes. Massive euphoria when I got it home; don't think I opened the box for a few hours at least.

casio-cassiopeia-a11-hyj.jpg

4mb of ram and a 33mhz Hitachi SH3 (?) processor

Indigo backlit touch screen

Solitaire and space invaders - small network of developers on the internet at the time

I managed to fit one Blink 182 MP3 on it - before iPods or even portable MP3 players existed

• Like 1

Achieved 48/50 study score in IT in year 11 at age of 16.

Career councillor said electrical & comp systems engineer. Did 1st year electrical eng & was like wtf do not want any of this shit.

Was planning to switch to business IT but didn't want to waste the 1yr of engineering studies.

So picked the next best option which was process engineering with a stretch at process improvement in IT.

Now I'm stuck writing excel macro's for clueless managers & being IT support when IT has nfi.

Which means you really got 49/50 pre curve of distribution

Dat ridiculous scaling for IT subjects

• Like 1

I had this bad boy...

wow I had the exact same one.

more a data bank than pocket pc however.

Showing my age, but my first pocket computer had a speaker and microphone that you stuck over a phone handset...yes a acoustic coupling 300 baud modem

along lines off:

http://goughlui.com/2012/11/18/tech-flashback-pocketmail/

I had this bad boy...

Had me one of them shits. I recall storing all my contact numbers in it and setting alarms for whatever I had to be up for which I can't imagine being too important.

Couple articles about this. The identity of a geek gamer has been lost & blended into everyday norm.

The people who suffered through it and built their identify around it have nothing to show now.

Only thing they can do now is vent/rage at newcomers. Cause hate on the Internet.

Same thing happened with the cinema-goers with scifi. Now every new blockbuster is based on a comic book with your mum/dad going to watch.

So true

Like imagine being one of the first youtubers to post a video log on a daily basis...people would call you a sad piece of shit attention whore

Nek minut millionaire 15 year old girls sharing makeup tips...rich piece of shit attention whore

• Like 1

So true

Like imagine being one of the first youtubers to post a video log on a daily basis...people would call you a sad piece of shit attention whore

Nek minut millionaire 15 year old girls sharing makeup tips...rich piece of shit attention whore

i'll just leave this here before I go on a shooting spree

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/06/18/youtuber-pewdiepie-is-making-4-million-a-year/

So true

I predict role playing board games/cards to become the next mainstream thing.

Pokemon cards already worth a mint, think about how many kids binned them to act cool in highschool lol

pfft all you people are like modern day tablet fiends and iphone watch enthusiast from back in the day.

y'all be complaining in 10 years about how you only used your tablet to play flappy bird and could only fit Chicago's discography on it before running out of room and how you were the cool person using it as a camera at events but it was silly in hindsight.

jimmy-kimmel-large+ipad.jpeg

I don't understand his appeal, and don't see how there is even a target demographic for what he does - I think he got lucky finding his niche and just kept doing the same old formula whilst evolving it for interest, including involving his girlfriend in videos

Have watched his videos before with an open mind and he just seems to say nothing but annoying self made catchphrases and cartoon like squeaks, like a naughty kid in class with ADHD

Nothing against him but fark who would subscribe to that

I know, 27 million people

I don't understand his appeal, and don't see how there is even a target demographic for what he does - I think he got lucky finding his niche and just kept doing the same old formula whilst evolving it for interest, including involving his girlfriend in videos

Have watched his videos before with an open mind and he just seems to say nothing but annoying self made catchphrases and cartoon like squeaks, like a naughty kid in class with ADHD

Nothing against him but fark who would subscribe to that

I know, 27 million people

seen the southpark ep on it?

But you know you've made it when South Park ep you

Unless you're talking about the youtubers one with chocolate rain and sneezing panda and butters