SAU Community

Can You Live On $30K For A Year In The Usa

tridentt150v

Just had a price comparison sent to me from a company.....not my figures, but if you had a job waiting and the dollars to invest and then bring the car back as a personal import, it sort of makes it pretty attractive to plan or think about it.

I didn't verify these figures, but if they are true [and I have no reason to question overly them] then its a big difference.

Car Price Comparison at Least Favourable Exchange Rates

Vehicle Aust Price US Price UK Price

Mercedes Mb 300 $93,859.00 $48,840.00 $68,801.00

Subaru WRX STI $66,928.00 $35,815.00 $54,225.00

And before anyone starts, yeah I realise that you have an airline ticket, import duties, freight and other add on's to consider. But if you were thinking about one of these cars [or something similar] and already had the opportunity for work etc then it makes it all pretty interesting.

I cant live in OZ on 30k a year ......

plus i would be NOT be moving countries just for a car you would need to look at it as a life experience. then enjoy your work abroad and if you happen to find the right car look into it with consideration.

everything worth importing is always worth looking at if you end up with something unique.

I agree, maybe the UK would be a better option, but it still works out as a bargain if you can do it. Look at how many Oz under 30's spend time in England. And there are probably other countries that you could use as well?

Not saying there is profit in it, but jeez we are ripped off something chronic here.

Just had a price comparison sent to me from a company.....not my figures, but if you had a job waiting and the dollars to invest and then bring the car back as a personal import, it sort of makes it pretty attractive to plan or think about it.

I didn't verify these figures, but if they are true [and I have no reason to question overly them] then its a big difference.

Car Price Comparison at Least Favourable Exchange Rates

Vehicle Aust Price US Price UK Price

Mercedes Mb 300 $93,859.00 $48,840.00 $68,801.00

Subaru WRX STI $66,928.00 $35,815.00 $54,225.00

And before anyone starts, yeah I realise that you have an airline ticket, import duties, freight and other add on's to consider. But if you were thinking about one of these cars [or something similar] and already had the opportunity for work etc then it makes it all pretty interesting.

Yeah, welcome to Australia! The lucky country! Where you get to pay double what they pay in the US and it isnt just cars.....

2012 BMW M3 Convertable $USD 82,000 ------ $AUD 173,000

I personally think someone needs to get a pin out and burst your bubble. I AM a US citizen and I can tell you first hand that the markets there are TOTALLY f'kd, you will find it hard to get a job paying decent money and that I could NOT live on $30k/yr when I actually lived there. that was in a town of 70k and with two papermills feeding the town work.

cars are expensive here - deal wth it :)

I personally think someone needs to get a pin out and burst your bubble. I AM a US citizen and I can tell you first hand that the markets there are TOTALLY f'kd, you will find it hard to get a job paying decent money and that I could NOT live on $30k/yr when I actually lived there. that was in a town of 70k and with two papermills feeding the town work.

cars are expensive here - deal wth it :)

Its not just cars that are expensive here. I am looking at buying a couple of 4x2 2 storey houses in a very nice area just outside Houston for around $250,000 - $300,000. You can buy a 7 bed 6 bath in the same area, backing onto a private golf course for $800,000. What do you get in Aus for that money?

I agree that it would be tricky to live on $30,000 per year, but thats only because we are not generally willing to lower our standard of living. I could get anyone with half a brain that is willing to actually work a $40,000 job over there tomorrow. I was in Houston for two weeks, ate out for every meal and barely had an expense report to fill out at all. Under $20 for dinner and two pints at Hooters, served by a sexy little thing that shakes her tits at you to show how everything is bigger is Texas, show me where you get that in Aus?

I came back with a suitcase full of new clothes, calvin klein jeans $60, armani tshirts $20 etc. I think that the smallest car that I saw when I was there was a G37, everyone drives massive trucks that cost 50c.

Steering wheel is still on the wrong side, regardless of whether you live as a hobo or a baller over there. Unless it's over 30 years old you have to convert it when you bring it back, but if it's that old you can import it anyway.

Better to live in South Africa/UK/Singapore/Japan/Hong Kong if you're moving just to bring back an import.

i rekon you could live of $30k...

sure, comparatively you may get paid less in the US... but stuff is hella cheap over there...

cost of living could be half of what it is in Aus... just look at takeaway food for example

thats what happens when you compare a country with 22million people to a country with 300million

you would if it was 9 years and 11 months old and the Singaporean law said the owner had to deregister it. You can pick up some real bargains.

And they're on the sevs list?

unfortunately, you really dont save much bringing it over, because the "paper value" is still pretty damn high... + shipping and compliance and all that nonsense. bah.

i was considering doing that for an evo7, but there are none for sale atm.

and, there really aren't many interesting cars, that are on sevs, and for sale in singapore anyway.

work for a US company and also being state side for long stay's

another thing to consider is that in U.S, it very easy to hire and fire people... also there is a BIG difference in Pay "same job"

so things to consider...

Car and general living is Sooooo much cheaper there it not funny !!! ...

Its not just cars that are expensive here. I am looking at buying a couple of 4x2 2 storey houses in a very nice area just outside Houston for around $250,000 - $300,000. You can buy a 7 bed 6 bath in the same area, backing onto a private golf course for $800,000. What do you get in Aus for that money?

I agree that it would be tricky to live on $30,000 per year, but thats only because we are not generally willing to lower our standard of living. I could get anyone with half a brain that is willing to actually work a $40,000 job over there tomorrow. I was in Houston for two weeks, ate out for every meal and barely had an expense report to fill out at all. Under $20 for dinner and two pints at Hooters, served by a sexy little thing that shakes her tits at you to show how everything is bigger is Texas, show me where you get that in Aus?

I came back with a suitcase full of new clothes, calvin klein jeans $60, armani tshirts $20 etc. I think that the smallest car that I saw when I was there was a G37, everyone drives massive trucks that cost 50c.

where do i sign up? :laugh: