SAU Community

Piglet's Rebuild Of His Busted Tomei 2.8

Finally got through your thread Paul!! There is so much sh*t talk in here....

I think my SR is the engine that finally converted Paul to going to the dark side with a single.

Here is an overlay of my car (black dots) over Paul's graph. I'm running same boost in the midrange but mine doesn't fall over up top. Both are on Yavuz's dyno. Somehow I don't think its the engine alone (it is a built and stroked VE sr) and the turbo has a lot to do with it (6262).

Pretty interesting it made more power down low and also more up top with some losses in the midrange.

Yavuz wanted to keep going, adding more boost but I reckon that is more than enough.

Also, FWIW and those interested in buying a manifold, I had a extremely ordinary service and product experience with Alpha Omega....

post-4048-0-16853600-1347265210_thumb.jpg

post-4048-0-27971700-1347265217_thumb.jpg

pretty interesting. It would have been interesting to see how far you could have gotten to with the boost, but like you said, thats pretty ample for a sil! I have seen the graph, and for a turbo of its frame and capacity, it almost makes you wonder how it does it. I have also jumped onto the PT bandwagon, cant wait too see the results :)

Hi James - you are very quick around the creek (1.39.6) & wakefield (1.04.07) with < 300kw

Must be a weapon of a car!

Thanks Marko. Its definitely 'interesting' to drive even with the old 265. Still haven't got to drive it since the new engine, its just a dyno figure at this stage!! Just have some niggly issues I want to get right before I get it properly tuned.

Don't to clog up Pauls thread. Build thread is here if you're interested - http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=520202

pretty interesting. It would have been interesting to see how far you could have gotten to with the boost, but like you said, thats pretty ample for a sil! I have seen the graph, and for a turbo of its frame and capacity, it almost makes you wonder how it does it. I have also jumped onto the PT bandwagon, cant wait too see the results :)

I agree. I thought it would be quite a bit laggier. I was a bit worried it might not really come on until 4200-4500. The precisions aren't really good quality though... I don't have much faith in it lasting... The casting and bearing and general fit and finish is a bit average but we'll see how long it lasts. I'm not expecting much though to be honest. The wheels are just so much better than garrett though its just too hard to ignore.

yeah. Interesting about the lack of water cooling on these turbos. But then again, they were around for a looooong time without it too. A random stab may be to keep it in a particular heat range to get the best out of it. Ive seen and heard of weirder things lol

A little update.

Got the engine back on Friday arvo. Can't get some of the pics to work. Stupid things.

FCF25AED-164F-4891-9975-A420DFBE47BD-10717-0000091AE8F5DE04.jpg

Manifold to gasket size.

F68D9FD4-8368-4FFA-AB4F-414099287B07-10717-0000091B33C67A0C.jpg

Exhaust port to gasket.

12451582-B936-4CA5-AE44-B0867C5F7C8E-10717-0000091B1DD3B438.jpg

Another picture.

6BC92731-29B3-46EA-8BE1-8817EE1F0E88-10717-00000922AD7D48D4.jpg

Turbo's are almost done. Just need to do the drains and the top lines. I stopped because the sun was burning me! haha

Slack! Definitely starting to come together.

As mentioned in PM very keen to see the overlays from the twins to the single PTE

Oh there will be graphs, when I don't know. After being off the road for so long I want to enjoy it for a while. I'll cant help to think I've gone a bee's dick big. There will be a 6262 thrown on and tried too at some point.

duno if i missed it some where but what Tomei stroker kit is it? (cooling chanel? tiatan coating? normal kit?)

and are you running this on pump fuel?

Tomei 2.8

Non cooling channel. Had 2 thou clearances the last engine and never had issues.

Top ring is Ti coated. (last engine had a standard Tomei top ring).

I have the "flex fuel setup". So when I'm belting it, it will have E85 in it. On the street it will have anything between E85 and PULP.

Tomei 2.8

Non cooling channel. Had 2 thou clearances the last engine and never had issues.

Top ring is Ti coated. (last engine had a standard Tomei top ring).

I have the "flex fuel setup". So when I'm belting it, it will have E85 in it. On the street it will have anything between E85 and PULP.

Cheers mate, i was looking into the kits last night coz i think it will be easier to just chuck in a 2.8 crank rods and pistons into my engine already as thats all id need to change instaed of going 3L.

you can re use the existing head studs and all that stuff right? just need new head gasket and bearings?