SAU Community

Piglet's Rebuild Of His Busted Tomei 2.8

9 minutes ago, reaper said:

Stop being soft and put a 9280 on it

9180 would do for now :D

Hows that build of yours going?

Sick f**king work Piggy, looking forward to seeing the final result - but you're already smashing it. Can't wait for the data, and for you to finally be able to get out there and do awesome shit with it.  I remember the OTP discussion we had back in 2013 where you were challenging me to think of any RB setup with response and power like your own, bet you wouldn't have expected your own car to end up with a single turbo on the exact same engine and as a result stand up harder earlier than it ever did before? :D  

f**king kudos to having the Insight involved to get a great thing even better.

Honorary mention gotta go to the drunken conversations with the Wild the sphincter of the universe Rare Breed.

* This post sponsored by the SAU language filter

Edited by Lithium

There is no way in this lifetime I would have believed a single would find its way onto my nugget....

It makes me upset that I spent almost a decade pissing around in the wind with twins. The whole "twins for response, single for power" would have to be the biggest myth in GTR world.

Downlow - single belts it to the moon

Transient - pfft. Not even worth talking about.

everything that twin guys "claim" twins are better at, yeah nah!

1.05 ain't too big at all. 0.92 just seems silly and retarded. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Piggaz said:

There is no way in this lifetime I would have believed a single would find its way onto my nugget....

It makes me upset that I spent almost a decade pissing around in the wind with twins. The whole "twins for response, single for power" would have to be the biggest myth in GTR world.

Downlow - single belts it to the moon

Transient - pfft. Not even worth talking about.

everything that twin guys "claim" twins are better at, yeah nah!

1.05 ain't too big at all. 0.92 just seems silly and retarded. 

It's ok I will still run you with my "laggy" twins :D

Are people really saying that though? In the modern era given the advances in turbo tech?

I've got twins and I don't say any of that shit 0_0 

It sounds like the type of thing you'd hear at a car meet full of 20yr olds who have never owned turbo car.

Twins were cheaper, substantially reduce my defect risk, and could get me the result I thought I wanted. That is all? 

9 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Are people really saying that though? In the modern era given the advances in turbo tech?

I've got twins and I don't say any of that shit 0_0 

It sounds like the type of thing you'd hear at a car meet full of 20yr olds who have never owned turbo car.

Things have changed a lot but there are still PLENTY who say that kind of thing, surprisingly.

I think people get worked up about trying to choose the "best" solution when rarely does one size fit all or do we know what someone's real goals/perspective are. 

Paul gets a pass as this has kind of been a documentary on going from twins to a single and all the reasons why, lots of detail and honesty. 

I liked Motive's test because they kept everything else equal, no ECU or head work like this build, just change turbo and re-tune to suit so the results were plain to see.

Is a modern, single turbo better than 2 older tech ones, unsurprisingly yes it is, what an absolute shock revelation lol

Can people still have plenty of good fun in the lower power numbers with cheap twins, yes they can. 

Also, if mine die, I think 7670 for me and keep a stack of 100s in the glovebox for bribes for the popo ;)

3 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

I think people get worked up about trying to choose the "best" solution when rarely does one size fit all or do we know what someone's real goals/perspective are. 

Paul gets a pass as this has kind of been a documentary on going from twins to a single and all the reasons why, lots of detail and honesty. 

I liked Motive's test because they kept everything else equal, no ECU or head work like this build, just change turbo and re-tune to suit so the results were plain to see.

Is a modern, single turbo better than 2 older tech ones, unsurprisingly yes it is, what an absolute shock revelation lol

Can people still have plenty of good fun in the lower power numbers with cheap twins, yes they can. 

Also, if mine die, I think 7670 for me and keep a stack of 100s in the glovebox for bribes for the popo ;)

Do they cops up your way even know what they are looking at?

7 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Hawkguy may not of had headwork or whatever but apart from exhaust and intake mods to accomodate the different configuration, the engine didn't change.

Cooler went from a Nismooooooo to a larger (680x325x100) hypertune core and ecu changed.

Head, cams (even cam timing) remained untouched. Probably could have advanced the intake on the twins a tad, maybe, but we can't go there with the efr. Scott is riding the surge line as it is. It WANTS to come on earlier. Lol

You guys driven a 335 or a m3 ( full boost at 1400rpm and 300rwkw (with a tune tickle ) 

twins still are epic  just were we're playing with a 25 year old car not a 2 year old car

eithet way can wait to see this at the track ripping up some bends

18 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Hahah, madness :D

What is it about the turbo design that makes it so responsive from an engineering point of view? 

Well, guys get all excited about a billet wheel being lighter.... but most of the weight is in the turbine wheel. The efr wheel is half the weight of a normal inconel wheel.  

Removal of all the small piping and super tight bends of the intake and exhaust. Just look at it all, it's hardly designed for MASS airflow. Put a pressure sensor on the intake of a 450 kw gtr and I bet it's pulling bulk vacuum. Dyson would be impressed.

20 minutes ago, fatz said:

Yea strap on of these Bw to one of those and see what happens

lol and around and around we go

I wonder why BMW went with all the hassle of twins on a straight 6 motor instead of a slightly larger single? 

I guess they wanted to make it laggier. I mean, 1400 rpm is pretty shit response - A single would be on idle for sure.