SAU Community

Piglet's Rebuild Of His Busted Tomei 2.8

I think a lot of people throw parts in without testing or understanding what the bottlenecks are so you might find that a good turbo/head combo is worth more than displacement as the bottle neck is the head flow at this power. 

Not saying capacity won't help, but might not show its true potential til later in the power game. 

Tao was schooling me on the CA as I had some ideas and he basically told me flat, do nothing else until you put cams in it as that's what stops them breathing beyond what a T28 is capable of. 

Pays to listen to experts, sometimes. 

Fantastic result dude :D

10 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

I think a lot of people throw parts in without testing or understanding what the bottlenecks are so you might find that a good turbo/head combo is worth more than displacement as the bottle neck is the head flow at this power. 

Not saying capacity won't help, but might not show its true potential til later in the power game. 

Tao was schooling me on the CA as I had some ideas and he basically told me flat, do nothing else until you put cams in it as that's what stops them breathing beyond what a T28 is capable of. 

Pays to listen to experts, sometimes. 

Fantastic result dude :D

Pauls head is something else :)  I do mean the one on his 33 not your normal head job , can't wait for the final tune next week :521_rocket:

goes to show most forum warriors have no idea what theyre talking about....f**k twins & f**k not polishing the ports.

NAPREC know what theyre doing when it comes to getting big numbers out of heads

my NAPREC prepped SR head has tolerances to within 1 thou....fkn precise. my engine builder said its some of the best machining he has ever come across....and he's built plenty of 1000hp+ drag motors.

goes to show most forum warriors have no idea what theyre talking about....f**k twins & f**k not polishing the ports.
NAPREC know what theyre doing when it comes to getting big numbers out of heads
my NAPREC prepped SR head has tolerances to within 1 thou....fkn precise. my engine builder said its some of the best machining he has ever come across....and he's built plenty of 1000hp+ drag motors.

Well to be fair precision is literally in the name

Piggaz give us a run down on the engine again? Cheers

17 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Well to be fair precision is literally in the name

Piggaz give us a run down on the engine again? Cheers

GT block

NAPREC head (1.5 mm OS valves, intake squish pad removed). HKS did the porting.

Tomei 2.8 stroker (9.0:1 comp), 0.9 mm head gasket, 28 thou squish clearence.

Nismo intake plenum

6 boost exhaust manifold, 38 mm gates, 8374/1.05 snail. 4 inch exhaust with SMB mufflers

Emtron KV8 ECU. Bosch 1700 cc injectors.

Hypertune intercooler. 680 x 325 x 100.

At 4000 RPM the -5's were at 220 rwkw. The 8374 makes 300 awkw.

IMG_5423.JPG

IMG_4556.JPG

IMG_4557.JPG

IMG_4558.JPG

• Like 5

I'll be back when you stop f**king around with that baby turbo and get a 9180 on there, or even maybe a 9174 if you want to be soft  :9_innocent:

300rwkw at 4000rpm is about double (plus some) power that time makes so it's not exactly like you need that much grunt that low :)

3 hours ago, SimonR32 said:

I'll be back when you stop f**king around with that baby turbo and get a 9180 on there, or even maybe a 9174 if you want to be soft  :9_innocent:

300rwkw at 4000rpm is about double (plus some) power that time makes so it's not exactly like you need that much grunt that low :)

A 9174 would just make the EGP pressure issue worse and in my mind it seems like a bit of a GT RS shit going on. Not that it's horrendously bad (It wouldn't be no twin buttplug pressures), That's NOT a fix. Maybe beccause it's actually being monitored and having all the data there it becomes " an issue". Not just being ignorant and "she'll be right" Being realistic, a 460-500 KW GTR is no slouch. Much more and you start going down the driveline busting bullshit again. The whole idea of this was to make it more reliable and have the engine happier. If you want to fund a 9180, I wont say no :6_smile:

I just drove it and to describe it in one word, DUMB!

It makes an absolute mockery of the -5's...there is NO downside. Breathe on the throttle and it's just soooooo zingy. Between gears (I was still clutching in between shifts as it was sensory overload) there is NO lag. "Twins for response"... pfft. It's all the stuff that a WOT dyno run doesn't show thats the standout. It's ready to go at almost any RPM. So lively and peppy!

The plan is to run it up tomorrow on E85 and see what it spits out. Scott did say depending on what it's doing, he may sacrifice a bit of top end and taper the boost back up high to extend the power band. Scott is going to SEMA so if he can grab a 1.45 AR rear housing we will put that on and advance the intake came to bump up the low end. Can't advance the intake at the moment (still set to 0/0) as even now Scott is holding the turbo back down low. Really, even if I lost a tad it wouldn't be a great deal anyway.

Exhaust is nice and quiet, even when up it.

Going by the temps we are seeing before and after the compressor, its more than happy and have some left up our sleeve. Turbine speed will be wired in tomorrow (were waiting for a plug).

Gearbox is still pissing out oil!!!!! I need to make a catch can that drains back to the filler plug. Frustration level's 10/10!

I forgot how cranky the bloody diff was when cold! It needs a wheel alignment before I get it back, it's all over the shop!

I rolled it on in 3rd and no problem having the wheels chirp in a straight line. 

Driving a sequential without a gear display is bloody interesting also. The display powers up but because we have changed the gear position sensor it no longer reads. Will fix!

• Like 10

*Yawn*

Is this ~still~ going on?     EFR Turbos are so last year you know...   ;)

(good to see you finally pull your finger out geesus, the car must need new air in the tyres by now....)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BakemonoRicer said:

this build is the real f**king deal.... no half ass shortcuts taken here

true RB gunner.....built with the best fruit on the market......

enjoy the ride brother

im sure this will leave the 80s F1 SKOLA tune in the dust HAHA

Well he hasn't posted a result for a reason ?

???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Aggroman said:

jeez paulie its been so long do you even remember how to drive? :P

Not really. The Lancer on a cold night was starting to get exciting!! Now it's warming up, the AC is back on. It's a nug now :(.

2 minutes ago, Piggaz said:

You got a date?

Yeah , 26/9/17;  E85 tune and THE END !   

ish

Well there is the Vcam  to cram in there and maybe a 1.45 , oh a 9180 could fit  in there somewhere and ??? 

Just go to Insight pick up the car after work tomorrow , get all the information and post it  :) 

2 hours ago, Piggaz said:

Not about mine.

Yours!

Pick up for mine is sometime this week. Needs a wheel alignment before it goes anywhere! 

bring it out and we can compare how good a 8374 can really be with a solid motor.

am really keen to feel the difference