SAU Community

V36 Rev Probs, Firmware Update Anyone?

I've read this threat with interest - great stuff!!

In regards to this 'bucking', my 2007 V36 Coupe does something really annoying that sounds similar. It's like it 'lunges' or lurches forward as I'm slowing down, especially noticible (and dangerous!) as I'm slowing down to stop at a set of lights. It's as if there is some problem with the rev-down shifting as the auto drops down through the gears. I swear I'm going to rear end a car if I'm not careful!! In fact, bucking is an excellent way to describe it as it's like I'm riding a horse that is about to launch into a gallop (whilst I am trying to slow down and stop!!).

Is this the same thing?

• Like 1

My problems have only been with acceleration. I did have what you might call a lurching problem due to rough down shifts, felts like it was shifting down at high rev's, and the lower gear was given too much power. But it never altered my speed or made it difficult to control. It was more of a single jolt which it would also do when accelerating after letting the car roll for a bit. For me after updating, that problem is mostly gone.

Perhaps your problem is something else.
A while back I had a Auto Holden Calibra, i swear this thing was haunted and trying to kill me. I would slow down to stop at lights and it would all of a sudden rev up and send the car off at 80kmph! I ran so many red lights.
Turned out it had a blocked Idle Control Switch (little valve controlling air flow during idle) 2 cans of degreaser later and I had purged the demon..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just read the thread, man what a friggn journey you'v had. It all comes down to a firmware update.

Me 350Z '06 revup 6MT . When i bought it it dint have the missing you had, mine had terrible pinging at those rev points you talk about. Nissan dealership had no idea. Nissan OZ no idea , no help whatsoever.

So i went to a local guy in Silverwater- SAS. Dave had worked out code and was able to retune . I had a few goodies put on and the outcome was really good.

So it took a custom remap on the dyno to fix. The issue- the exhaust and the changing between certain loop things was causing the lean outs.

Any way my zee is running really sweet ( HKS S/C added )

NISSAN AUSTRALIA!!! WAKE UP WE ARE NOT STOOPID , LOOK AFTER YOUR CUSTOMERS

• 1 month later...

So I've just had a read of this. Interesting feedback on what you experienced. I feel similar 'glitches' to everything you've mentioned, but noticed it only does it in Drive. Switching to DS (Sport) eliminates these issues, which leads me to the possibility of it being gearbox related, not engine. The idle between 1000-2000rpm feels more like the clutch kicking in, cause if you hit the gas when you feel one of these 'idle' rev moments you get a very gradual bite.

But of course, if it is just a gearbox calibration issue you've got to wonder why Nissan would have let it go out like this in the first place. So then you'd start to consider climate being an issue, sensors being calibrated to typical Japanese weather conditions rather than Australia's dusty humid mash-up.

Either way, most of what you've said sounds more like gearbox, clutch, and flywheel. I'd love to know what the firmware update 'Patch Notes' say.

Chris Rogers, saw you piping in earlier. If we can get our hands on that firmware update is that something you can update for SEQ based owners, or do you know of a preferred Nissan service centre?

Edited by Simink

No clue what the patch notes are, the infiniti site might have some info on it.

I know there were two seperate updates consolidated into one, a ECU update and a Transmission update. The latter specifically for hard up/down shifts.
My issue was subtle for months, like you describe a very small bite. It eventually escalated.

Nissan GTR centers will have the update done remotely for you.

My pv36 is yet to have any problems since updating.

Nissan GTR centers will have the update done remotely for you.

When you say remotely, do you mean they use a local third party service centre - so they don't cop the shit if it goes wrong (or just not allowed to update with Inifiniti branded firmware - internal red tape)?

If it gets worse over time the firmware update (I can only assume) stops some of the live-calibration in the ECU. I hate when they update shit like this without telling you what it is.

My pv36 is yet to have any problems since updating.

Good to hear :)

I ended up importing a 2009 370GT (still waiting for compliance!) so fingers crossed it doesn't have these issues...

When you say remotely, do you mean they use a local third party service centre - so they don't cop the shit if it goes wrong (or just not allowed to update with Inifiniti branded firmware - internal red tape)?

If it gets worse over time the firmware update (I can only assume) stops some of the live-calibration in the ECU. I hate when they update shit like this without telling you what it is.

Nissan plug your car into their comp, and someone at TechLine in Syd applies and configures the update. Nissan does not provide this update file to it's service centers, remote only.

Innitially I was told they would have the file in hand, but there was no warranty or guarantee my car would even start. I guess someone a little higher up decided that was probably going to get them into trouble.

The ECU still learns, and power is very slightly reduced. Today in this lovely Adelaide rain I also discovered the anti slip is not as full on ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up importing a 2009 370GT (still waiting for compliance!) so fingers crossed it doesn't have these issues...

I've had my 2009 since the beginning of 2012 and have not experienced any of those issues. I'd say you're safe.

Who are TechLine? Never heard of them, or can find a website...

They are the Nissan eggheads in Syd who know everything about everything. The department is just called Techline.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I may have felt something similar, like I was braking and I thought I felt the car jump a little forward before stopping completely

Not sure if it was me or the car...guess I'll find out after driving it a bit longer

Would a custom dyno tune fix any throttle problems too?

I wouldn't call the 370GT the smoothest car ever but for the luxury and performance I'm very happy

I still have this problem even after I cleaned my MAF. Fuel economy did improve though (which was great), but bucking still present. I suspect it's a gearbox thing and will ask my mechanic to look at it at my upcoming service. Hopefully it's just the gearbox needing an oil change.