SAU Community

300Kw Whats It Like On The Street

yeah this is true...lol...I never did get around to getting a new diff... :whistling:

makes a world of a difference man!

my car hooks up 3rd no dramas, 2nd hooks up ONLY once the tyres are warm, the roads are dry, full tank of fuel, shift into gears gently, tyres are the right PSI, sun is out, full moon, and the ambient temp isn't too cold.. other than that bakes 2nds like bakers delight LOL...

I think to understand Evo hype you have to live with one for a while because a lot of what they are isn't immediately apparent . I think I mentioned earlier that 2.5L is always going to feel a bit better than 2L just to wheel it around . Also there is a certain something that straight 6s have that straight 4s don't , by comparison 120 degree phasing feels smoother and more flexible than 180 degree phasing . Note that inline 3s are making a come back and they are effectively half an I6 with ~ 25% less parts than an I4 .

Once you feel out an Evo it feels far more go cart like than a Skyline because it has sharper faster steering and less slop in the bushes - factory . They are shorter wheel base wise and not sure about track width - probably similar .

I sense some people think that a fun car has to have limited handling abilities and 4/AWD is somehow unfair , the V8 taxi racers though that too back in the Grp A days funnily enough . This is where the big "lurid" power slides spinning wheels and drift mentality leave me cold . The rally people told me that AWD solves some problems and creates others , it totally alters any cars handling characteristics and holding them on the limit isn't generally something your average driver can do .

GTR is a totally different concept because they aren't AWD they are front assist to RWD to give them RWD characteristics . What is similar with driving all four is that the limits are higher and that's why the crashes near the limit are monumental .

Gearing , yes they have closer gearing 123 than a Skyline because that's what makes them haul out of the blocks and helps them to make quick gear changes . It is more awkward to pedal around Camry like in the traffic but you can't have it both ways . It wouldn't be any better in a Skyline with a close ratio box driven the same , it's highly likely that Nissan knew closer spaced gears would mean spinning longer in more gears than they do . Obviously you stop spinning when 2.5Ls finds a gear it can't muscle enough to do so . What is better with the Evo is that you have 1360 + Kg on the driving wheels rather than sub 650 on half as many contact patches . Because their tractive effort is higher they can afford to have closer spaced gearing because they will put all of their power to the ground in std form - with reasonably good tyres .

I don't know cabin wise much about E7/8/9 because mine is a slightly smaller E6 , interior styling is an individual liker/dislike thing and some people used to Skylines may not like an Evos cockpit .

I guess the bottom line is that Evos have higher limits than a GTS25T or 34GTt but in order to have them there are some inescapable compromises , it's why a real race car would be the worst thing to drive on the street if that were possible . Evos are just the next step towards a real racer , but with number plates and 5-10 years newer systems .

Being less race oriented is what makes a Skyline a bit nicer to live with .

A .

Edited by discopotato03

makes a world of a difference man!

my car hooks up 3rd no dramas, 2nd hooks up ONLY once the tyres are warm, the roads are dry, full tank of fuel, shift into gears gently, tyres are the right PSI, sun is out, full moon, and the ambient temp isn't too cold.. other than that bakes 2nds like bakers delight LOL...

Look im sure it does, my diff was in good nick though and I had some tired dunlop R comps on it which were fairly sticky and it hooked up pretty good most of the time...

it was onyl when i mashed the power in a lower gear it could get a bit hairy....But I just got used to changing up early which was fine because all my torque was around 4k anyway and I never had an issue really. it was still quick because it had 300kws and a very usable powerband :P.

I don't think an EVO is a good comparison to a GTs-T, you should compare it to a GTR as they both great on a track and why cant you just have your 300kw at 18psi and then drop the boost for the streets, eg 10psi on a gt3076 should

still be fun.

If you don't have 300kw then maybe you will feel inadequate wether you can use it or not, so get your 300kw and do some swinging either way.

Edited by AngryRB

How could you possibly know/understand the hype if you never drove it?!

Evo's are purely a drivers car and unless you drove it the way it was built to be driven you will never know. My evo made 312kw on a hub dyno on the stock turbo on E85 full boost was by 3200. It would crack 0-100kph in I believe less than 4 seconds still running the stock clutch today even after a turbo upgrade :)

Nope.. didnt need to..

Handed over cash having only riding shotgun for the last 4 cars Ive bought, and sold the last 3 cars Ive owned without prospective buyers driving them..

Evos didnt live upto the internet hype for me.. and I rocked up ready to buy.. the general internet concensus of them is awesome; they dont break, they handle ridiculous, close ratio box, great stock brakes, modern tech, etc.. dunno just didnt do it for me

Either way, youre obviously happy with yours!

I agree and having driven both Evos and GTR's its not actually close to compare them either as they drive worlds apart. Sounds crazy as they look the same if you compare them on paper..Both AWD both a similar weight etc but the evo feels alot smaller and more nimble with ALOT more grip.. Unfortunately there is no tailing an Evo out like you can with a GTR

I don't think an EVO is a good comparison to a GTs-T, you should compare it to a GTR as they both great on a track and why cant you just have your 300kw at 18psi and then drop the boost for the streets, eg 10psi on a gt3076 shouldstill be fun.If you don't have 300kw then maybe you will feel inadequate wether you can use it or not, so get your 300kw and do some swinging either way.

Edited by Mick_o

^ I've driven a few EVOs.. they are great cars full stop. They come on noise faster, they go harder, they corner better, they do everything better. Heck I got a better time in a stock EVO vs. my shit box R33 at Wakefield.

However at the end of the day, you can't clutch dump them in 1st at 7k rpm - that's the only downside.

How could you possibly know/understand the hype if you never drove it?!

Evo's are purely a drivers car and unless you drove it the way it was built to be driven you will never know. My evo made 312kw on a hub dyno on the stock turbo on E85 full boost was by 3200. It would crack 0-100kph in I believe less than 4 seconds still running the stock clutch today even after a turbo upgrade :)

This may be true, maybe I missed out and shouldve pushed for a drive and my opinion may have been different.. im glad I at least when for a lap in one as every time I think about a new car an evo was always at the back of my mind but I never actually went to look at any.. I dunno, maybe next time I guess..

Either way i wont lose any sleep.. the 360awkw GTR in the garage makes me pretty happy

Edit: I should mention that my car also cruises at the speed limit just like every other shitbox on the road.. so no the power is not "too much" for the street

Edited by ohno1

Have you thought that maybe some larger injectors, new fuel pump (walbro 400), Haltech + Flex sensors, fully flex tune might be all you really need?

Run some E85 through your current setup with a good aftermarket ECU. Should be able to find some additional power and torque without loosing the drivability. Also gives you a better base for future mods.

If you have any spare $$ after that you could always invest in a good LSD + MCA coilover... Maybe a brake upgrade (alpha/omega evo brembo upgrade)...

^ I've driven a few EVOs.. they are great cars full stop. They come on noise faster, they go harder, they corner better, they do everything better. Heck I got a better time in a stock EVO vs. my shit box R33 at Wakefield.

However at the end of the day, you can't clutch dump them in 1st at 7k rpm - that's the only downside.

of course you can! ;)

260kw is the most I'd ever want on the street which is what mine 32 puts out with a 25 + highflowed rb20 turbo, has the response of a stock turbo with 10psi by 2k in 5th, get 14 by 2800 and 18psi by about 3300rpm.

Flat torque curve with instant response, still lights up 2nd rolling on the throttle slowly unless I have brand new tyres on the rear, it will break all speed limits in seconds so honestly for the street I'd say it is even too much power tbh.

Stick with 250-280 max and keep your stock response, torque is what makes it fun on a street car, 300 unless AWD would be stupid as it will just fry tyres.

All this EVO love makes GTSts /GTTs seem like pieces of shit haha.. Not much Supra love on here? :rolleyes: Yep another RWD but a much better one..

That is because they are, if I sold my car I'd get an EVO or a XR6 turbo, better performance than a skyline in every way imo, it is only because 6 years ago when I bought my car you couldn't get the others for less than 30k.

Edited by Rolls

300rwkw can drive like a factory car these days, in fact a lot of factory performance cars come with over 300 of the showroom floor, the hsv models and fpv models both do, along with most of the euro cars and

300rwkw can drive like a factory car these days, in fact a lot of factory performance cars come with over 300 of the showroom floor, the hsv models and fpv models both do, along with most of the euro cars and

Yeah, but these cars are doing it with ALOT more capacity and engines that don't require lots of RPM to make power/torque. Not to mention most factory cars making north of 300kW these days have a lot of technology that you simply don't have in an RB engine...

Direct Injection, variable cam timing, variable geometry turbos, etc...

You honestly cant really compare them.

He already had an adaptronic which is capable of flex :)

Sorry - I must have missed that! I recommend just converting his current setup to flex, then spend the $$ on other areas to improve handling, braking and traction.

Very true, you can probably buy a ute from the showroom floor with this sort of power.

But to compare apples with apples, disconnect traction control and all the other 21st century electronic wizardry, bring it to the level of a basic car sold in the 90's.

See how long she lasts then before it end for ends.

I doubt manufacturers would be permitted to sell such high powered cars as road vehicles, without all the gadgetry to keep it in check.

• Like 1

My experience with close to 300kw - I have driven around without my front drive shaft and son of rajab, its so easy to go sideways, it really shocked me how easy at half throttle it wanted to let go - albeit not with the best tyres, but that difference from 200-300 in just the rears is enormous.

In AWD form (ie when the back wheels start letting go and Atessa kicks in) 300KW is extremely managable and a ton of fun to drive.

What I noticed is in 2wd you do sit there spinning and it is fun to do so, but interms of speed, getting traction instantly when boost hits and that rush of your head smacking into the seat is what I find more thrilling, not making white smoke.

So in 2wd form all the mods to get the power to the road are essential - as been mentioned, tyres, diff, suspention setup.

• Like 1

getting 300kW to the ground in RWD format is easy - I'm not sure why everyone makes such a big deal out of getting it down.. first thing is to get rid of that VLSD, then run some decent shocks and NOT the stiffest spring on the market, use some pineapples and offset the subframe a little, get some camber arms and lastly some decent tyres.. avoid brands such as Wanali, Ling Long, Triangle, Rotolla, etc. and you've got a car that will bite/squat/launch.

Very true, you can probably buy a ute from the showroom floor with this sort of power.

But to compare apples with apples, disconnect traction control and all the other 21st century electronic wizardry, bring it to the level of a basic car sold in the 90's.

See how long she lasts then before it end for ends.

I doubt manufacturers would be permitted to sell such high powered cars as road vehicles, without all the gadgetry to keep it in check.

if you have someone that can actually drive then all the extra wizardry wouldn't be required, the problem is these new cars with high horse power are very easily affordable to most people and end up with dip shits behind the wheel.

The falcon traction control is useless in anything pre fg, as once you have over 300rwkw it decides this is to hard and shuts it self off and my ba ute didn't have traction control at all.

So don't get to excited about the electronic controls cause once the car is modified they generally don't do shit