SAU Community

Nrma Vintage And Classic Insurance

When I tweaked my cover last week, it took some haggling to get them to come up in agreed value. The operator I was talking to said that she was "searching their database" and had found half a dozen 1989 R32 GTR Skylines all insured for around $12,000 - $14,000, so the figure I was asking for was "Probably at the cusp of too much". When I offered to send them receipts, photographs, build sheets etc, she came around a bit and ended up locking it in, but made it sound like she was doing me a personal favour. I know there are stock R32 GTR's out there in "average" condition that would have been purchased in the last few years before the price spike, but still... $12,000? I don't think so.

Premium won't go up much Brett proportional to the increase in Sum Insured

Terry's right........It's actually disproportional (non-pro-rata)........... Had I of stayed with the $500 excess my premium would have gone to $643.25.

In other words, my premium would have increased by 11.8% but my coverage (insured amount) would have gone up by 28.6%

Cheers,

Bob.

Confirmed my insurance yesterday. got a $40 loyalty discount. Was nice.

Though i did go back and look, my car has been in the shop for 100% of the time my car has been insured with nrma. Good thing it isn't with shannons @ $2200 a year haha

• Like 2

Got my renewal in the mail today. $226. Pretty sure that's the same as last year. $35,000 agreed value, vehicle on club permit.

Point of interest : I've had a no fault claim in the last 12 months so called up after reading the new clause - "no claims or incidents within the past 2 years". Answer was yes, I could still renew as the change won't come into affect until next year.

Sadly we can't have NRMA Vintage in VIC :glare:

RACV: $1,956 p.a Full Comprehensive Insurance with $1,500 as excess with a value of $31,330 for a 34GTR

AAMII: Doesnt insure these cars

Shanons: Wont insure if you have had 5 infringements in the last 5 years

Just Car: Havent bothered as im sure they will be worse then RACV

Awaiting a call back from Lumley

Will post when I get more results.

Sadly we can't have NRMA Vintage in VIC :glare:

RACV: $1,956 p.a Full Comprehensive Insurance with $1,500 as excess with a value of $31,330 for a 34GTR

Shanons: Wont insure if you have had 5 infringements in the last 5 years

Just Car: Havent bothered as im sure they will be worse then RACV

Awaiting a call back from Lumley

Will post when I get more results.

RACV do a "Veteran, vintage & classic" cover too in Vic, I've got it for my 300. Around a third of the premium I was paying with Shannons with lower excess & higher agreed value.

Worth a call

Edited by lidz
  • Like 1

RACV do a "Veteran, vintage & classic" cover too in Vic, I've got it for my 300. Around a third of the premium I was paying with Shannons with lower excess & higher agreed value.

Worth a call

Thanks for that - on the phone now.

Bit of an update

RACV: $1,956 p.a Full Com. with $1,500 as excess with a value of $31,330 for a 34GTR

RACV Veteran Vin Classic: Can't ensure the cars which are in their "15th Year of Age", so I need to wait 4 months and give them a call again.

Shanons: Wont insure if you have had 5 infringements in the last 5 years (even if they were 1pt each)

Just Car: $2,456 Full Com. with $1,500 as excess with a value of $45,000 for a 34GTR

Lumley: $2,0444 Full Com. with $1,000 excess value of $55,000

Lumley was rather good, esp the fact when I listed all the mods that came with the car (Rims, Turbos, Injectors, Elec Boost Controller, Suspension, Exhaust, Oil Catch Can, Oil Cooler).

Just called RACV Vintage for my 1994 R32 GTR. Listed all the mods quote came to $350 with a $500 excess. Couldn't believe the price difference to what i currently pay at Just Cars

Just Cars - $1200 (1500 excess)

Shannon - approx $1800

RACV - $350 ($500 excess)

• Like 2

Update:

RACV: $1,956 p.a Full Com. with $1,500 as excess with a value of $31,330 for a 34GTR

RACV Veteran Vin Classic: $900 as $1,000 excess with a value of $52,000 for a 34GTR

Shanons: Wont insure if you have had 5 infringements in the last 5 years (even if they were 1pt each)

Just Car: $2,456 Full Com. with $1,500 as excess with a value of $45,000 for a 34GTR

I have a question in regards to the modifications to the cars.

If you were to list all these mods to the insurer After-market Turbos/Apexi PFC/Injectors/Fuel Pump/Oil Catch Can/Oil Cooler/Suspension/Rims/Exhaust does the insurance still hold if they said "Is the car roadworthy", or would I need to get an engineers cert? (for the bold parts?)

I've read and searched the forums but I wasn't able to find an answer, thought this would be appropriate to ask here.

Edited by milanr34

SAU.NSW had a Tech Arvo at Syriops Engineers and we were told that if you're at fault and the mods are responsible then your car may not be covered. The car would be covered if you have an Engineering Cert and the mods are listed.

If you're not at fault of course your car is covered; but your mods are not covered if damaged whilst not listed on the policy.

Primarily for insurance purposes, have all mods listed. For defect clarification, get an Engineering Cert and if you want a fully built engine covered by insurance, tell the company about that too.

Insurance premiums don't go up too much with mods added to the policy.

• Like 2

RACV Veteran Vin Classic: $900 as $1,000 excess with a value of $52,000 for a 34GTR

im not saying you're wrong, just my experience with Shannons vs. RACV Classic vs Lumley was different.

Shannons appreciated I had a CAMS licence and had done more than 1 course on driver training. RACV and Lumley's refused a quote due to 4-5 traffic infringements in 3 years.

For comparison, give Famous Insurance a call too. they can also do Track Insurance separately.

One more thing, Just Car doesnt really fit onto that list because its coverage assumes daily driver duties, while the others offer better pricing if not driven regularly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

NRMA VVC Gen Mngr David Snape, was at the BMW Show today at Ruschcutters Bay, Sydney.

He said that he was willing to attend any state/territory Exec Meeting to answer Qs if he's available.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the Veteran, Vintage and classic Insurance has had a change.

It was that you could do up to 9000klms a year . This works out to 750klms a months.

Now it is up to "10 times" a months, a little under 2.4 times a week. BUT you could drive , say 1000 a day for 10 days a month, if you wanted to, 10,000 klm PM X 12 months and that could be 120,000klms PA. I know this is over the top. hope my math is close,(lol)

So on the other side , you might only do 20klm each time you took your car out, 200klm a month or 2400klm PA.

So it turns into an honour system as no one could say if you drove it very day or not :/

• Like 2