SAU Community

Clutch Fan Upgrades

jdm32r

A decent thermo setup is probably the best thing for a track car. For the following reasons;

1. When you are right up the car, the car is generally moving quickly, thus getting decent natural air flow through the radiator. Thermo fans probably won't need to be running, and you would benefit from not having the load of a clutch fan on the engine.
  2. When you have been right up it but have had to slow down (yellow flag, going into the pits with a flat, broken suspension, whatever) then a clutch fan doesn't work it's best at lower revs and the thermos will work as well as they ever do - even if you've had to shut the engine down hot, the thermos will still allow a bit of heat to get dispersed. Not a bad thing.

For a road car I am strongly in favour of the original fan and the original clutch, preferably new ones. And when I say "original clutch", I mean the original type from Nissan. The Davies Craig etc aftermarket ones all seem to suck balls. I have been through several trying to get one that doesn't lock up at too low a temperature and make my car sound like a Patrol in traffic.

Edited by GTSBoy
  • Like 2

This is a neat replacement made by GKtech, I've got one in my R33 and it's definitely improved cooling efficiency.

http://www.gktech.com/index.php/s13-s14-s15-replacement-engine-fan-60-more-air-flow.html

You'll need to get the adapter too, as they were designed to bolt up to SRs.

http://www.gktech.com/index.php/sr-to-rb-clutch-fan-adapter.html

I ran a thermo in my 32 for a short while, and had problems keeping the engine cool at any time, but particularly on the track. (Mild day (25ish) at Winton, 1 lap, engine boiling. same day, Highway cruise, slight uphill, thermo cuts in.)

I put the standard clutch fan back on, and haven't hade a problem since. (Mild day QR, 4 laps, engine slightly over thermostat temp.)

I would strongly recommend staying clutch, otherwise if you go thermo, spend a lot of effort in making sure air goes through the radiator.

keep the standard clutch fan. upgrade the radiator. stock core is 16mm thick, put a 42mm core in and it will make a big difference to cooling ability.

make sure you retain the factory fan shroud. it's there for a reason.

^^ +1 for fan shroud, regardless of whether you're using a mechanical or electric.

The aim is to achieve airflow through the whole core to promote heat transfer. You will find the OEM "splash tray": running back from the lower radiator support is an important cooling element so make sure it is retained.

Off topic, but is that black 32 the one you are putting on the track? Ride height looks like it might give some suspension travel and geometry issues unless you've done a LOT of work in that area.

This is a neat replacement made by GKtech, I've got one in my R33 and it's definitely improved cooling efficiency.

http://www.gktech.com/index.php/s13-s14-s15-replacement-engine-fan-60-more-air-flow.html

You'll need to get the adapter too, as they were designed to bolt up to SRs.

http://www.gktech.com/index.php/sr-to-rb-clutch-fan-adapter.html

Interesting, because I've heard more negative reports on those things on RB than good.

• Like 1

Interesting, because I've heard more negative reports on those things on RB than good.

Is that so? I've been considering buying the adapter plate and putting it on my RB for a little while now as I've got the fan sitting on the side from when i had an S13. The fan went well on my SR and I've nothing but praise from people running clutch fans on their SR's at QLD Drift Matsuri, they swear by it, i'd assume an RB would have a similar result? all it does it pull air through a radiator better than the stock design, well at least they claim to.

The only people I've heard bash the fan are those who think it will lower the operating temperature, and are also using the stock temp gauge to "measure" their "results" - both of which render their "research" useless as they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.. lol

Has anyone here had a bad experience with it on the RB? :mellow:

They're actually not an upgrade in terms of air flow or pulling power compared to an RB fan - especially the later RB fans. I think the GKTech fan is designed to pull less air and unload the engine as it is really aimed at the drift market.

Not bashing that fan, just pointing out that it might not be the best choice for an RB.

• 5 years later...

Motor is is a rb25,My clutch fan is hitting the cooler pipe and cracked it! Dose anyone know if the rb26 clutch  fan will be a direct fit into the 25 shroud? as iv heard the blades are shorter so less chances it hitting. Cheers

D9A5906F-C98A-4191-B270-B28CC2075661.png