SAU Community

Ecutek Flash Tune Dyno Results

The Max

So after having promised to do this long ago and report back, I finally pulled my finger out of my bum about a month ago and decided to get the V36 tuned to see if there was anything to be gained from it.

In short, no.

I wasn't expecting much of a boost in power. That would be unrealistic of anyone to think so. Another 12kW was produced as a result of this tune, not that my arse-dyno can feel the difference, but at least scientifically, I can now say I have just over 200kW at the wheels. :P

More to the point though, as you'll see in the attached graphs, it's pretty clear that these vehicles are pretty damn well tuned out of the factory. There's no improvement in response. Fuel economy, I've yet to determine as I've only been driving it out on weekends when I haven't needed to load the drums in the wagon instead. I'll give it about three full tanks to see how it averages out but I doubt I'll witness any major improvement to be honest.

Until then, I'll save my final verdict. My preliminary verdict, in the meantime, is that there's no point in wasting your cash doing a dyno tune in its naturally aspirated configuration. Best to save it for the day you decide to whack a Stillen supercharger kit instead.

post-65137-0-45964800-1418452721_thumb.jpg

Very similar result to a stock 00 WRX I had Ecutek 'd some years ago by MRT in Sydney.

But--

--different story when I then changed out the OE intercooler to bigger AVO/ exhaust to turbo back SMB SS 3"/ Air inlet pipe to Samco silicon/ airbox to custom with Apexi filter/ 0E BOV to GFB Stealth , Fuel pump to Walbro /Fuel regulator to Malpassi (rising rate) and Turbo to a VF28- then had it retuned by Mercury in Brisbane using Ecutek Stage 3.

:w00t:

You have a mild torque increase across the entire rpm range, surely you'd notice that? Maybe it's so subtle you're using less throittle to achieve the same rates of acceleration and not noticing it, but I guess that should show up as reduced fuel consumption.

It's a shame you weren't able to do some before-and-after runs at the drag strip where it might make itself more apparent. Either way I'd be happy with torque and power curves like that. You're right though, for the money it's probably not worth the effort unless the fuel economy has significantly improved.

I agree with Matt, the torque increase and response you get should be pretty noticeable, I know mine was. But yeah, money spent wise it may not be the best. I am quite happy with my UpRev tune, considering I can keep up with some of the Subaru Liberties and WRXs....minus cornering haha well I'll just drift around them corners

• Like 1

How are you getting 8-9l/100kms?

I get about 12-13l/100kms :( then again I work 5 mins away from home with stop go every 200m or so...and I drive like an asshole too :P

I paid $550 for my UpRev tune. But decided to buy the cable and upgraded my license to the tuner license. If you have money to burn, get it tuned for the better torque =D

Edited by colin.ssc

it is already doing 8-9l/100km on a run, but just curious to see if the tune affects it.

Do you mean 8-9km/L (the dash output is in km/L)?

If not, I want to know how you manage that too

Lol I know...the missus always goes quiet when I start driving with the foot down...and then death stares....hahaha...can't imagine if it was twin turbo'ed

When you have a car with power you don't have to drive like a hero everywhere.

The best i got from my 6MT was around 12km/L and the worst has been 8km/L and i got intake, HFC, Y-pipe back exhaust, 20*10 wheels all round and Tony getting 6km/L seems a bit off as i have a heavy foot too and almost always rev out the first gear usually. You guys go on the reading on the on board computer or when you fill up again? i go on the later one as thats more accurate imo.

On another note since i got a new intake few months ago (before having just drop in filters) i have noticed the car leaning out around 3000-3500 rpm(hesitating to rev) before if takes off again like some boost came on. Im guessing having this tune will fix the lean out wouldnt it? I got an HKS obd2 reader with my phone and the AFR learn is running +/- 20% (use to be around 5-8% before intakes).

Any one have any information on this would be great. Thanks

So if the answer is yes to getting a tune whats the better way to go UpRev or EcuTek

Edited by AsM

8 or 9 l/100km is the norm on a decent freeway run, in 7th at around 2,000 rpm on cruise...

Kids to school is more like 12 l/100km, which is still slightly better than the M35 Stagea 2.5 Turbo that we used to have. This is measured from the OBD2 port using a Garmin bluetooth device. Loving having full OBD2 compliance...

I dont drive like a hero everywhere. I do it occasionally just for the fun of it, on empty roads. And I, like Tony and ASM have pretty heavy foot. Doesnt mean I red line the car all the time. I just get off traffic lights at 3.5-4k revs etc.

I just drive with abit more urgency than she would like me to but I come from a country where we drive with urgency and not braking all the time when people merge into your lane or changing lanes. If you come to Perth, you'll see the idiots all around driving on the right lane doing 80km/h in a 100km/h zone. I'm nt gonna just sit behind these assholes cause they cant drive properly

8 or 9 l/100km is the norm on a decent freeway run, in 7th at around 2,000 rpm on cruise...

Kids to school is more like 12 l/100km, which is still slightly better than the M35 Stagea 2.5 Turbo that we used to have. This is measured from the OBD2 port using a Garmin bluetooth device. Loving having full OBD2 compliance...

Lucky you, I guess the 7 spd gear box does give better fuel economy. Too bad I chose to get the 5spd instead.

It's spirited driving, not heroic. I don't weave in and out, cutting people off like many wankers do.

I don't do ab crunches either (taking off at the lights like a madman and stop accelerating when you reach 60km/h). I've called one of my buddies a retard for constantly doing that in his Magna back in the day. Stupid, wasteful and just uncomfortable when you're a passenger.

Edited by The Max

You guys go on the reading on the on board computer or when you fill up again? i go on the later one as thats more accurate imo.

MyFuelLog Pro app which takes odometer and fuel fill quantity figures.

I should note though, that's city driving. I get 7.7km/L when on the open road. Again, spirited driving. :)

So if the answer is yes to getting a tune whats the better way to go UpRev or EcuTek

I hear EcuTek can do valve timing as well but you wouldn't be missing out that much if you go with the UpRev. Edited by The Max

I hear EcuTek can do valve timing as well but you wouldn't be missing out that much if you go with the UpRev.

How much did you pay for EcuTek in Aus if you mind telling me? or pm whatever you prefer thanks