SAU Community

45 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Has that exercise been running the whole 5 years?

8 minutes ago, Butters said:

So i contacted malwood. They do indeed do this combo(I have pics). Looks like they sell complete box only and not an adapter by itself. 

I have asked for pricing. Could be a really interesting option compared to a used getrag if priced well.  

Interesting.

Well GTSBoy turns out it's finished. Pretty cool hey?

I will be very surprised if it will be a complete bolt in solution. If it exists, has anyone even fitted this combo into an R32 - R34 GTR yet ? When it is said that they sell a complete box only, is that a box that bolts to the transfer, or a complete box with a transfer developed ? The reason I'm asking is there is so much more to fitting this and getting it working than just whether the bell housing bolt pattern is correct and whether a transfer bolts to the back of it. If it is a box that has to bolt to the existing transfer, it still potentially opens up a can of worms getting it to work.

If so, my questions would be:

-Does the shifter linkage rail on the box connect at the correct shifter length and location within the transfer case ? That is how do you connect the shifter from the box to within the transfer case ? There is no way those boxes locate the shifter rail in the exact position required for the transfer case.

-Does the entire assembly bellhousing to transfer end up the same length ? If not custom front and rear tail shafts are needed, and the shifter itself will not lineup within the chassis.

-Does the box physically fit in the tunnel area or the GTR chassis without any tunnel modification ? Is a custom box cross member and box mount required ?

-Dimensions of input shaft ? What spline (probably GM 26t, 28.5mm) but more importantly what length and spigot end size goes into crank ? Full custom clutch dimensions maybe required because of below:

-Release mechanism setup of clutch ? Adapting if possible to RB style clutches.

I could go on, but the devil is always in the details. Unless all if these issues have been addressed, then it could end up more costly than what it's worth compared to complete already available bolt in solutions.

Interested to see how this develops and if anyone goes down this path.

Not sure on most of this yet Ben.  I am awaiting a second reply.

From the pictures I have.....

It is a complete T series box with adapter and standard gtr transfer case bolted on.

It looks like they are setting up the shifter with a linkage, using the T56 shifter on the GTR position.

I assume the following ....

Use a quicktime bellhousing.

Will be GM spline , I imagine usual T56 clutch slave options.  Same as T56 rwd RB combos.

I have the following questions also ....

Will it fit in the tunnel.

What length will it be.

@BK Please tell me what bolt in options you are thinking of that can hold 800+HP with a Synchro ?

Only options I know of are 

OS Gearsets (About 8K once you source box, sync and have built)

Used Getrag (12k) - who knows how thrashed it is and rebuilds are damn hard.

PAR / PPG ?

None end up all that cheap. 

With this you have a brand new box, range of config options and current aftermarket support.

Its one of the strongest synchro box's ever made.

That all said, price might come back at 20k, so price has to be at the right mark !

• 4 months later...

@Butters any chance you can forward on those pictures or post them here? I'm pretty keen to do a gearbox swap in my GTR as the stock trans isnt liking the 500+kw being fed through it very much, and I'd love a double overdrive box like the t56/magnum.