SAU Community

Carbon Canister Removal And Engine Vacume

Hi All,

so I decided to remove my carbon canister and after a bit of research on internet I found various information on how it is done .

At the end this lead to confusion so below is how I have done it, is this correct ?

Take the canister out which has three pipes plugged into it , 1 from manifold vacume , one coming from drive firewall(along with brake lines) and one from passenger firewall.

I removed the canister and connected the line from driver side to the line from passenger side thus loop it back in, I guess this is ok as by the time fuel vapours or pressurise , then it takes the route back to the tank so reducing the pressure?

I initially left both of those pipes to vent to air and could smell strong fuel vapour every now and then .

I have seen some saying then remove both cables all the way to the tank and simply leave a small filter on it on the tank , but which side? which one is return ?

in addition , I have changed my vacume rubber lines with silicon line bought from ebay .

I have replaced the vacume lines that are circled in red and all of it goes back to the manifold.

The picture below is not from my car and it is missing the port sticking out on the inlet pipe which I have circled in red.

I think all of them are simply vacume pipe and not fuel/oil but want to get your view. one is connected to the fuel pressure regulator vacume port i think as per the picture below .

15i9gur.jpg

Many thanks for your help

Edited by stranger12

Why are you removing the carbon canister? What's after the noisy bov - replace the factory air cleaner with a cheap pod filter?

I'll say this only once then I'll leave you alone...If you don't know exactly what you are doing and why then do some extensive research first on here or Google the questions and make sure you know exactly what the various components you are dealing with are supposed to do so that you can be sure any modification is a step forward rather than backwards.

Here's three suggestions from me (all relatively expensive as useful mods usually are):

Fit a three inch turbo back exhaust.

Front Mounted intercooler (no FFP required)

Depending on where you are ... a Nistune chip for your ecu and a good tune.

have the three inch pipe, front intercooler at home and ready to install soon

re nistune, I am going to get link this year so no money spent on that

re carbon canister I want to free some space up as most other people do hence why I removed it .

any view on my questions above :)

any view on my questions above :)

My view? Removing the carbon canister is foolish. The canister is the single most inoffensive emissions control device ever invented. It does a wonderful job of stopping some pretty serious emissions of hydrocarbons to the atmosphere, which is actually a pretty desirable thing. And it does it with essentially NO cost to performance. The amount of room "freed up" by the removal of the canister is almost inconsequential.

Now contrast that with the likely response of a police officer, who, upon lifting your bonnet, looks inside and sees that you have foolishly removed the most obvious piece of emissions gear in the car. He is going to rub his hands together with joy, because anyone silly enough to do that is going to be silly enough to have done other things that he can defect you for. And when he is done defecting you for the dozen or so silly things (think of that stupid atmo BOV as an example) you are going to want to sell the car rather than subject yourself to the pain of trying to put it all back right so it will go over the pits.

Granted, once you put a Link ECU in it then the carbon canister won't work anyway, because this is an R34 and the Neo engine has a tricky little solenoid that is run by the ECU to make the charcoal system work and the Link won't do that and no-one ever thinks about these things....but nevertheless, even a non-functioning carbon canister doesn't look like a removed carbon canister.

Freeing up space is a poor excuse IMO. I have everything in my bay (A/C etc) along with aftermarket shit like catch can, bigger turbo, external gate and the carbon canister still easily fits. Granted i have FFP but the return flow cooler kits take up no more room

I also run 3" cooler piping and a 4" intake which is bigger then most so im sure you can find the room

20140119_103121_zpst7g7tgdy.jpg

Edited by 89CAL

Is it possible to vent these gas outside rather than burning it up in the motor. Doesnt this method cause a build up of black muck in the whole intake system. (Including turbo)??

Is it possible to vent these gas outside rather than burning it up in the motor. Doesnt this method cause a build up of black muck in the whole intake system. (Including turbo)??

No. As I have already stated, carbon canisters are totally benign and only do good things. Black muck comes from EGR, or from direct injection due to not having fuel in the intake tract to wash the creep off.

Hmm i was referring to the pcv valve not the egr. I've yet to see an rb with an egr valve. The pcv (positive crank case ventilation) from what i seen is nasty stuff that carries oil particals as well.

Plumbing this back in wouldn't kill power as its pre burnt gas? I know it leaves a light film of nasty, what ever you want to call it, all over the intake system. I have attached a photo of where the canister vents a very very small amout of this gas if not burnt completely. It vents it in the chasis. Now that can be nice and oil. Lol. Protects from rust.

post-37293-14338953254664_thumb.jpg

PCV gasses get sucked into the plenum with vacuum.

What we are talking about is the carbon canister, it sucks the fumes from the fuel tank and pumps them into the engine, rather than out into the atmosphere.

The nasty oil film is coming from the breathers, and that's why people put oil catch cans on them.

• Like 1

Understand. Mixed the two up. ^_^

How do drag cars deal with it using a fuel cell for exsample. On like 100% Of fuel cells have two lower out let and two on the top. How do you control the vacuum that the fuel pump will creat sucking the fuel out.

Ive always wondered about this. Keeping in mind fuel vapors. Im thinking some kind of one way valve. Just a guess though.