SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

14 minutes ago, Leroy Peterson said:

Im kinda surprised you can get it off the shelf with your shoulders and height.
I struggle with getting shoulder width to match neck thickness, then pants length with waist. Damn people are either too skinny, too tall to too big. And im none of those.

Generally they allow you to mis match

So i sometimes go one size up on the suit jacket relative to the pants

just curious have you tried a tailored suit?

the first time I got one and the jacket just slotted into position...the most comfortable clothing I own.

I've got both, tailored obviously better but off the shelf still very decent if you get the right one, pretty sure the only reason my off the shelf one isn't as nice these days is because I've gained weight :P 

15 hours ago, emts said:

just curious have you tried a tailored suit?

the first time I got one and the jacket just slotted into position...the most comfortable clothing I own.

I got 2 tailored suits dont really wear them much.

For me off the shelf is pretty much 90% there in terms of fitment. If the extra cost is worth it to you for that fitment then by all means

Hypothetical work situation:

Supplier 1: offers service for $2k that will guarantee successful outcome, cost has been approved by management, but you know the company is getting ripped off and you despise getting ripped off / feel morally obliged to do what's best for the company by finding a cheaper alternative.

Supplier 2: offers same service for $1200, potentially saving the company $800, but no one will ever know or care that you achieved this saving and so you won't be extrinsically rewarded for it, however if they don't come through with the goods, it's your ass on the line.

What do?

Extreme example of non vs tailored look

Mens-bad-suit.jpg

If you're lucky you can find an off the shelf that can be taken in to achieve 90% of a tailored look, but will never be completely there or as comfortable

16 minutes ago, Birds said:

Supplier 1: offers service for $2k that will guarantee successful outcome, cost has been approved by management, but you know the company is getting ripped off and you despise getting ripped off / feel morally obliged to do what's best for the company by finding a cheaper alternative.

Supplier 2: offers same service for $1200, potentially saving the company $800, but no one will ever know or care that you achieved this saving and so you won't be extrinsically rewarded for it, however if they don't come through with the goods, it's your ass on the line.

What do?

Supplier 1... They understand the value of their service and know that they are going up against people quoting 40% cheaper. There's a reason they quote $2000.

Supplier 2 has to be cutting something out, whether the end product is going to reflect that is anyones guess. Is it worth taking the risk (even when its not your own 88e money)? Probably not.

Edit: We've actually had quoted customers come back to us and say that we need to quote higher, since they wanted to go with us but the company policy was to never go with the cheapest quote for a service. Resubmit the quote 30% higher and we'll get the deal.

• Like 1

What do?

You go with supplier 1.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Odium said:

Supplier 1... They understand the value of their service and know that they are going up against people quoting 40% cheaper. There's a reason they quote $2000.

Supplier 2 has to be cutting something out, whether the end product is going to reflect that is anyones guess. Is it worth taking the risk (even when its not your own 88e money)? Probably not.

Should have added that this is for freighting stuff, so in terms of quality of outcome there's little difference except risk of fk ups / delays in delivery which admittedly haven't been experienced before when using supplier 2. Supplier 1 also has a monopoly as a preferred freighter so charge based on their name. But fair point that they quote what they think they can for a reason.

Supplier 1.
$800 more expensive is sort of a drop in the ocean for a reliable and guaranteed service. Unless we're talking like office coffee supplier or something.

Also lol, would never wear a suit that looked like that extreme non-tailored look. I just wasn't sure of the limitations of alterations...
When it comes to colour and pinstripes n shit, it's just down to preference yeah? I could Google this shit, but I'm expecting shitty Gentleman Quarterly articles about needing 12 suits for different occasions, and $450 ties for men who earn $450 a week making coffee for a living.