SAU Community

GOT SUM's RB34

Not too much happening on her lately. I got around to making up a bracket for the BMW shifter. Unfortunately to get it to fit nicely I had to cut the tunnel a little bit. Undecided if I'm going to run an auto or manual shifter surround yet. Hard to find a nice auto one and on the other hand the manual shifter boots dont have a clip on them to be able to go over something bigger.

I also made up a new bracket for the bulkhead connector 

We had a lot of rain a couple of weeks ago up here in Brissy. Opened her up and found mould all through her :( Should've cracked the sunroof or windows... Have been busy extending the garage lately so have just been airing the car out. I stripped most of the interior out and borrwed my mates karcher extractor and gave it all a good clean. Came up heaps better than it was. The stuff coming out of the carpet was gross! 

Today I worked on mounting the new Setrab trans cooler up front. I wouldve really like to mount trans and oil cooler up under the boot to move some weight back but was advised against (engine oil anway).

I moved onto the boot and removed my surge tank setup, battery tray, hicas controller and wiring and marked up all the holes that I want to weld up. I did mark it up to cut the wheel well out but have decided too much effort. So I'm just going to clean it all up, weld the holes up and give it a couple of coats of paint and try and find a good boot interior to put in it. 

Once the boots all done then I'll start putting the interior all back together.

Also had a look at the steering wheel for adapting paddles on it and looking at it theres 2 spare wires that run through the clock spring. If I can pick up a ground on the wheel and send it back through it means I can mount paddle shifters on thr wheel instead of with the stalks! For anyone interested, Powertune will sell you their paddle shifters for $1100 but it's not wheel mounted.

20220511_112516.jpg

20220511_125423.jpg

20220511_153258.jpg

20220511_153332.jpg

20220513_121247.jpg

20220525_100417.jpg

20220525_100427.jpg

20220525_100444.jpg

20220530_124402.jpg

20220603_110332.jpg

20220603_110334.jpg

20220603_143944.jpg

20220604_104753.jpg

20220604_142635.jpg

20220604_142638.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/6/2022 at 9:38 AM, robbo_rb180 said:

Yeah that rain was shit.

Good update, looking forward to what you think of the gearbox.
Could you adapt the 370z paddles to the column? 

Yeah I'm keen to see how it goes. If you guys have seen already check this out. 

HTG controlled but 8HP none the less. Have talked to the owner and he said tuning the HTG was a pretty big job. 

You could probably adapt the paddles to it no doubt but I would prefer to have them on the wheel for ease with corner shifting easier rather than trying to search for the right paddle with the wheel turned.

• Like 3

Are you sold on HGT? I've been following them and they seem to be basically prototyping/testing the product on paying customers, it's very hit and miss in terms of results though they are seemingly working hard on improving it.

Turbo Lamik seems to be a more reliable option from what I've seen so far. 

Sorry if this was already covered in the thread, no time to go back and read it all. 

Edited by ActionDan
  • Like 1

yeah definitely want them easy to use when turning the wheel.
Tuning something with so many variables will take time but be worth all the effort longterm. Read a few things on the HGT as I did look into it and the turbo lamik seems to have less issues.

Have you seen this controller yet? Australian made and I know a few are in testing with full release next year
https://www.mectricmse.com/index.php/products/powertrain-control/ptc-detail

On 6/6/2022 at 10:07 AM, ActionDan said:

Are you sold on HGT? I've been following them and they seem to be basically prototyping/testing the product on paying customers, it's very hit and miss in terms of results though they are seemingly working hard on improving it.

Turbo Lamik seems to be a more reliable option from what I've seen so far. 

Sorry if this was already covered in the thread, no time to go back and read it all. 

Nope I will be going TurboLamik. 0 to 60 have done a couple now and seem to be going well straight out of the box bar a little settings that have been recified now.

On 6/6/2022 at 10:27 AM, robbo_rb180 said:

yeah definitely want them easy to use when turning the wheel.
Tuning something with so many variables will take time but be worth all the effort longterm. Read a few things on the HGT as I did look into it and the turbo lamik seems to have less issues.

Have you seen this controller yet? Australian made and I know a few are in testing with full release next year
https://www.mectricmse.com/index.php/products/powertrain-control/ptc-detail

Interesting, I wish motec would just bring something out that could control 8 gears. Bang an M150 in to control engine and trans would be an epic package!

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 8:23 PM, klutched said:

Undecided if I'm going to run an auto or manual shifter surround yet. Hard to find a nice auto one and on the other hand the manual shifter boots dont have a clip on them to be able to go over something bigger.

Not sure what you mean by "nice" but you can have my old AT shifter surround if you want, just cover shipping. This is provided I haven't binned it already.

*EDIT: Whoops wrong car. Ignore me and delete this if poss.

Edited by GoHashiriya
I'm a dumbass
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

The old girl's been a bit neglected lately! Haven't touched her since my last post, have been busy with reno's. Might turn into @Dose Pipe Sutututu's thread 😂

Garage exterior is almost finished, windows in, cladded and new downpipes hooked up. Just need to paint the downpipes, finish off trim around the door and work out some sort of flashing to go down the bottom on the concrete to repel water from going underneath. Other than that has come up pretty good! Also decided to render the front of the house and give it a bit more of a modern look. Will get painted in a couple weeks once its all totally set. Will eventually go around and do the rest of the house when I can be bothered 😂 

Other than that, I have my block back from getting the billet mains machined! Will drop it off to get the rest of the machining done and assembled when we get back from Fraser. Heard he's backed up atm so might be a little while off :( Will give me more time to sort 8HP stuff in the meantime.

20220703_103153.jpg

20220703_114729.jpg

20220706_162748.jpg

20220706_162803.jpg

Edited by klutched
  • Like 4

Good job on the render, can be a pain to do.

Have you bought a controller yet for the gearbox? I've tried the ones mentioned but either out of stock or no replys.
I'm about to start looking into an Emtron or syvecs as I think Whifbitz in the UK originally were using them for gearbox control.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 9:24 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

Good job on the render, can be a pain to do.

Have you bought a controller yet for the gearbox? I've tried the ones mentioned but either out of stock or no replys.
I'm about to start looking into an Emtron or syvecs as I think Whifbitz in the UK originally were using them for gearbox control.

Thanks mate, its very shit to do especially by myself 😂 I haven't yet, will get around to it hopefully sometime this month. How did you contact them? I think best way is to email [email protected]

I've been emailing Decs from Mectric Motorsport and he said the Praetor PTC won't be available until mid next year ATM.

Seen that Race Services have HGT in stock https://www.raceservice.com.au/product-category/dct-conversions/ but at that price I would rather wait as still issues with HGT. Rather support a local business/person with a history of doing good work.

At the moment I'm going to give the getrag DCT/ZF a miss and go cd00* while support/products become more available.