SAU Community

Found A Rb25 How To Tell If It Is Good

Hello

I found a rb25det at a used car parts store, its been there for about 6 months or more.

The staff doesnt know if it runs or not.

They only test they did was check to see if the crank turns and take a look at the gears and things underneath the front gear cover.

Is there any way to check the engine besides taking it apart to see it maybe its working or not?

I wouldnt be able to take it apart unless I buy it

Have a beer with it and ask if it's ok

The shop is a well known shop. Anytime they get something that they dont know about, they put in the junk section or reduce the price to a cheap price. If somethings in the junk section, doesnt mean doesnt work, just mean pieces missing, old, or no information on it.

They will usually put whats wrong with something or what condition it is in on the label. Dont think its in the junk section.

This engine they dont know if anything is wrong with it. They did the checking I mentioned earlier.

Not sure if it has their normal one week garuntee on it. If it does, there is no why I can have it put in the car in a weeks time.

Its 650.00 dollars

Edited by yoshiii335

$650 is basically scrap value for an RB25. That's what you pay for one that is or could be broken so that you can use some or all of the parts to fix another one. A good runner here is more like $1500. So it is not a bad risk for you, and you might be able to break it up and sell parts if you were forced to. But you'd be committing to trying to use it unless you do the minimum testing, like a leakdown and see if it will crank and so on.

$650 is basically scrap value for an RB25. That's what you pay for one that is or could be broken so that you can use some or all of the parts to fix another one. A good runner here is more like $1500. So it is not a bad risk for you, and you might be able to break it up and sell parts if you were forced to. But you'd be committing to trying to use it unless you do the minimum testing, like a leakdown and see if it will crank and so on.

Ok

So that means pistons, chambers, valves etc could be messed up or they may not be. Hmm I have to decide if I am going to take that chance. Would buying a working rb25 and building it up be better than buying one that may have to have more parts replaced? Or will it be about the same if I am going to build up the engine?

The engine should still come with around 3 months exchange warranty, regardless of whether they have seen it running or not. Unless things have changed.

He is in Japan.

Crazy shit applies there.