SAU Community

Garrett vs Precision

khezz

Slightly off topic but do twin scroll manifolds really cost $2.5k? Does that include the twin waste gates? Is it cheaper for an Efr since it doesn't need a waste gate?

Really surprised.

15 minutes ago, khezz said:

Slightly off topic but do twin scroll manifolds really cost $2.5k? Does that include the twin waste gates? Is it cheaper for an Efr since it doesn't need a waste gate?

Really surprised.

6 boost manifold = $1,300 ish

Fullrace manifold = ALOT more, depending on exchange rates.

Twin 38 or 44 mm gates, $450 ish each.

Depening on how you set up boost control. 1x3 port MAC valves or as crazy as 2 X 4 port MAC valves = $120 - $360 depending on which way you want to go.

Braided lines (you'd have to have rocks in your head to run rubber). This ain't cheap. Well over $1,000 here in lines and fittings. Gets a bit out of hand when running lines to the top and bottom of the diaphragm with duel 4 port MAC valves.:cool:

Water and oil lines = Not quite sure. Haven't added that up.

IWG EFR would be a fair bit cheaper. No gates and not as much plumbing pain with the lines. No fab work with plumbing the gate pipes back in. That itself is an expansive exercise.

4 minutes ago, khezz said:

Suppose this makes BW a fairly popular choice. That and they seem like a really well designed and made product.

Well that's a IWG version only (0.92). 1.05 and 1.45 ass ends are external gate which would make them the same cost to setup as choosing another brand (with however you decide to set it up).

Why Lol? I've been told that higher lift helps greatly with response on turbo engines. I know longer duration only comes in at high revs. Please explain, I'm not being sarcastic I would genuinely like to know if I've been steered wrong. My rb26 is about to go through a full rebuild and one of the items on the list is 11mm cams with 264 duration. The idea is to help response/reduce lag.

34 minutes ago, khezz said:

Would 0.92 still flow enough for 500AWKW+ ? I imagine it would spool up well. Especially with well matched cams and E85. Maybe add a slightly higher comp ratio.

I suppose it depends on what dyno you throw it onto. What would be good is to see the exhaust gas pressure difference between a 0.92 and 1.05.

You have a 79 lb/min turbo. Why choke it with a small ass end? Let it breathe!!!!! In AND out!

For the record, the 1.05 AR ain't laggy AT ALL, especially if you have pulled off/come from "responsive twins" ?. Don't let the number scare you away.

18 hours ago, khezz said:

Just watched this video thats seems to put a little dent in the BW EFR. Its a back to back test of the 8374 vs 6266 on the same car and the 6266 wins quite comprehensively. They use a 3.4L 2jz supra. the EFR does spool quicker but the power difference is huge.

A car set up for and running an open T4 turbo from the brand they are dealers for (Precision) then they get a divided T4 turbo and put it on the same open manifold, somehow that turbo still makes >700whp and spools better than the Precision despite god knows what awesome stuff happens when the gases suddenly meet a brick shaped fork in it's path.

Somewhat BS comparison.

Thats right! I remember there was something about that back to back that stank lol what shit kunce posting shit up like that ?

I've driven 2 cars with both of those turbos & i know which 1 i would rather have strapped to the side of my motor ?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Piggaz said:

A car set up for and running an open T4 turbo from the brand they are dealers for (Precision) then they get a divided T4 turbo and put it on the same open manifold, somehow that turbo still makes >700whp and spools better than the Precision despite god knows what awesome stuff happens when the gases suddenly meet a brick shaped fork in it's path.

Somewhat BS comparison.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?668656-The-Big-Thread-BW-8374-EFR-vs.-Precision-6266-CEA-(Jourbal-amp-DBB)-DYNO-RESULTS

If you want the actual facts of that comparison there posted in the above thread unfortunately it requires a account to access the page. 

The manifold is a copy of a HKS T4 divided single wastegate. In the above thread people complained about the HKS manifold not being a true divided design with twin wastegates so SP racing carried out further testing of the same turbos comparing a true twin scroll dual wastegate fullrace setup against the HKS manifold. 

Make up your own minds with the facts available.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?672553-Hks-full-race-t4-exhaust-manifold-test-results&p=8809015#post8809015

Higher lift help a lot with power and maybe a little response but longer duration is a massive detriment to response, it's actually surprising how little duration it takes to have a big effect  

So what would be your recommendation for cams. For the type of setup discussed in this thread. 2.6l, e85, 750-800hp turbo. Going for 500kw at all fours?