SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

On 18/02/2024 at 5:10 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I hope so, hope being loyal to the stealership has some positive(s).

Shitbox has been exclusively serviced by VW, even though I could do it myself for heaps less.

In that case, they should fix it. If they don't,  I'd be making a really big deal out of it.

1 hour ago, No Crust Racing said:

Do we have the same box in our Tig... Didn't you tell me they were reliable lol 

Could just be a sensor?

Yeah the DQ500, uses wet clutches and found in the RS3 and TT-RS.

It's the clutch position sensor that has failed, hence it can't determine any of the odd gears when the box gets warm. From scouring the web, it only seems to have affected earlier Tiguans only, some have speculated it was a manufacturing issue at one of the plants.

VW will replace the entire mechatronic board instead of the sensor (which involves removing and soldering a new sensor on). Guess it requires less effort from their techs.

Just my luck.

• Like 1

No I think he's saying that's what VW wants to do if asked to fix the fault, not that they will do it for free for him.

Meaning labour $$$$

I would defs be asking for a good faith repair personally, but that all depends if they can see how many times Johnny has launched the F outta the car in the ECU/TCM lol 

On 18/02/2024 at 6:07 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Thanks @Duncan let's see how I go next week.

For good measure, just happened again. Daily occurrence 🥲

Will get it fixed and wait till the Minister of War & Finance is back to work so we have more cash flow instead of torching our savings before we buy a new shit box (won't be a Nissan, soz).

IMG-20240218-WA0010.thumb.jpg.b07fe53441603a2ce0bbc7e9941b1637.jpg

"You can drive on"

What a trooper. 🫡

So update time!

VW HQ will honour the mechatronic, however VW Liverpool are waiting on VW HQ to see if they will cover the labour as well.

VW Liverpool have already ordered the new mechatronic, approximately will take 3~4 weeks before it arrives here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Duncan said:

good to hear...although I suspect the labour is a significant part

actually labour is about $500~$550 based off other people in the Tiguan group. The mechatronic is about $3k through VW OR about $2500~$2700 if you buy from some random overseas online store. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, admS15 said:

Considering the price of the mechatronic, even if you've got to pay 500 for labour, that's still a win in my book.

100% 

Especially the shit box is 6 months out of warranty. Here's hoping a new mechatronic means another 5 years of life, until something else shits the bed.

Probably going to sell this shit box next year and replace with another shit box, however with a ZF box.

@admS15 she won't be too impressed with the price tags lol.

Although..... The X3 M40i does seem ok, pre-LCI can be had for $50 to $60k which is the same price range as it's smaller sibling the 30i.

I guess the 6 banger deters people, so everyone prefers the 4 banger 2.0L.

The Aisin 8spd automatic in my re-skinned Mini still going strong after 100k km, just sayin' ;)

You could get F48, since I highly doubt your missus would approve of F45 (basically same thing but non-SUV). Or get a Mini hehehe. B48 engine goes hard, like SR20 but with plastic bits haha.