SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

6 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

If it's boring and shit, that is what a SUV is.

VW Australia were kind enough to loan me a 2024 Nissan X-Trail ST-L for 42 days, so generous of them!

Not going to lie, it does what you've described just with a few missing features such as:

• auto door locks
  • electric tailgate
  • auto mirror dip on reverse
  • washer jet on reverse camera (great for rainy days when there are droplets on it)
  • multiple/directional reverse guidance beeping (yes that's right you hear the beeps inside the car at each corner, depending how close you are to things)
  • knowing my name when I open the door lolol

(listed in order of priority)

I do like the 2024 CR-V too, however it's odd, it misses a 360 degree camera, yet has everything else.

None of those are important and you should save $ and accept sad and depressed life, which is what a SUV is.

Get from A to B, and be miserable. It's the JDM way.

(the other alternative is get from A to B, maybe)

4 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Pack of arseholes.

That email is such a quintessentially German response. Makes me wonder whether they translated it from some company guidelines.

In Germany we don't say 'f**k you!', we say 'Please be assured that we have taken your concerns very seriously.' :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with you there, I still don't understand why they extended the car loan via Europcar for 1.5 weeks whilst they faffed about and deciding if they are to waive the labour or not.

$469 vs. 1.5 weeks of car hire, I think paying the labour costs would have been cheaper for them, but shit for brains at head office chose the latter. 

Looking at RRP rates for a comparable car is $96 per day, so 11 days is $1056, let's say they get corporate rates at 40% off (wild assumption here) that would mean it's costing them $633, which is still more than the labour costs.

Makes no sense right? Lol.

Welcome to euro ownership, it doesn’t matter what brand you buy, they’re all designed to last the warranty period and after that you’re either supposed to trade it in or have a big wallet for the repairs. Don’t fool yourself into thinking another European brand will be any different 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

None of those are important and you should save $ and accept sad and depressed life, which is what a SUV is.

Get from A to B, and be miserable. It's the JDM way.

(the other alternative is get from A to B, maybe)

I almost prefer driving my SUV over my Skyline. I like large vehicles with comfort and gadgets, I'm getting old...

Speaking of unreliable SUV's with bad warranties, Land Rover... I had a 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged back in the day. It had a lot of issues and one day in 2012, engine decided to make all kinds of horrendous noises. I bring it to the dealer. They tell me they believe they know what it is and that it should be covered under warranty. Here's the best part though, since they cannot confirm the issue without taking the engine a part, it will cost 20 000$ out of pocket for investigation and replacement and whatever is under warranty will be reimbursed once the job is done. 

I just remember laughing about their third world warranty and walking out. My first and last Range Rover. I was lucky to get full not broken engine value on a trade in at another dealer the week after. It was a quick SUV and I do miss the center console fridge that perfectly held 6 beer but what a piece of crap that thing was. Spent most of its life broken. 

Long story short, English cars are worst then Euros... 

Edited by TurboTapin
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, TurboTapin said:

it will cost 20 000$ out of pocket

What in the fking world? You could have bought another Skyline with that kind of money back then 😅

It's like they encouraged you to drink your sorrows away and always have a 6 pack in hand to maintain your drunkenness 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, TurboTapin said:

I almost prefer driving my SUV over my Skyline. I like large vehicles with comfort and gadgets, I'm getting old...

Speaking of unreliable SUV's with bad warranties, Land Rover... I had a 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged back in the day. It had a lot of issues and one day in 2012, engine decided to make all kinds of horrendous noises. I bring it to the dealer. They tell me they believe they know what it is and that it should be covered under warranty. Here's the best part though, since they cannot confirm the issue without taking the engine a part, it will cost 20 000$ out of pocket for investigation and replacement and whatever is under warranty will be reimbursed once the job is done. 

I just remember laughing about their third world warranty and walking out. My first and last Range Rover. I was lucky to get full not broken engine value on a trade in at another dealer the week after. It was a quick SUV and I do miss the center console fridge that perfectly held 6 beer but what a piece of crap that thing was. Spent most of its life broken. 

Long story short, English cars are worst then Euros... 

Maybe Indian, around 2008 Tata in India bought Land Rover

• Like 3

Took off the starter motor during my lunch break, fk it's a cnut with the Plazmaman plenum & all the fuel equipment (regulator, fuel filter, external fuel dampener) in the way.

That's enough work for this month on the car.

Back to pushing buttons on a keyboard.

PXL_20240409_224106936.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Has crossed my mind, just the styling I'm not keen on. The front grill is like a large grater lol 

They are boring as hell to drive, but would make a nice family cruiser.

2 hours ago, R3N3 said:

They are boring as hell to drive, but would make a nice family cruiser.

Yeah sometimes boring is what is needed, so my bank account doesn't bleed from stupid repairs and my head won't hurt from arguing with stupid people at VW head office.

In other news, Andy from Adaptronic / Haltech explains the MAP Prediction and Fuel Film / Pooling in detail. Makes much more sense now and it's good to know it takes the higher value out of the two fuel tables not just the MAP prediction table during a transient event. I was a bit concerned it would take that off boost value on the table when the car is on song.

Had a brief spare 10 mins spare in my life, went to compress up the coolant system (thanks to my mates gear) and found the leak pretty quick.

It's that stupid short joiner between the block and coolant branch that goes to the turbo return.

PXL_20240414_025048223.thumb.jpg.661bfd095377e02fe1def89e77fe94c1.jpg

PXL_20240414_025126741.thumb.jpg.caae56ce4e2de4c5e2469e4e31340ab1.jpg

So I'm going to simplify that area and use a R33 RB26 piece, which does the same thing without the unnecessary complications 

Screenshot_20240411-231851.thumb.png.07d2dd5abe15176e9b71032ca8d95144.png

And yeah before someone goes why don't you buy/install the Boost Doc heater line kit, yeah cost perspective it's like 5x the price of buying new hoses and a new OEM fitting.

If the hoses lasted 28 years, then I'm sure brand new OEM ones will do another 28 years 🥲

Will also delete the hardlines that runs underneath the plenum and simplify that too. It has a RB26 so there are a few branches that are blocked off as the plenum doesn't need those hoses and not to mention the car doesn't run a heat and oil/water exchanger anymore.

• Like 2

Anyone seen my rich long lost biological parents?

If so, tell them I wouldn't mind my mortgage paid off and a M3 Wagon as a way to ask for forgiveness 🤣

I'll even give, in return a R33 Skyline (that may or may not work).